I break out in itchy hives when I work out!

Options
For years whenever I would begin working out (especially when I'm first starting up after not having worked out for a while) I get severe itchiness all over my body. Especially around my waist, back and legs. It's really painful! It goes away after a few weeks of me consistently exercising everyday, but it's so uncomfortable especially in the beginning! If I were to stop exercising for two weeks and then go back, the hives come back.. I haven't seen a doctor about it yet, but most people I talk to says they've never heard of this problem. The same exact thing happens to my sister too. Anyone experienced this before? Also, I've tried to push past the itchiness and continue exercising, but when I do, the pain intensifies and it literally feels like I'm about to faint.. The only thing that stops it, is when I actually stop working out immediately to allow myself to cool down and then it subsides. Yesterday I tried to run a mile, and as soon as my body heated up, I began to feel it, I tried to ignore it, but it intensified, and I had no choice but to stop even though I felt as though I could continue because I didn't feel tired from running. This is extremely frustrating! It literally feels like I'm allergic to exercise :( Anyone else know what I'm talking about? I would love to hear your feedback.

Replies

• 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    1) This is the internet, I am not a doctor, so see a doctor. 2) Allergic reactions to exercise do exist. If you see your doctor and s/he says this is what it is, s/he will probably recommend an anti-histamine.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I don't get this when I exercise...but if I drive home from the gym without showering...drying sweat is very irritating for my skin. If that is what you are experiencing, bring a hand towel to the gym with you...lightly dampen it and do a quick wipe down between workouts.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Try washing your clothes in fragrance-free laundry detergent (all major brands offer this) and more importantly, do not use fabric softener - liquid or sheets.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Agree with using one of the Free laundry detergents and asking a doctor. Someone else posted this, too. I remember it because I was surprised by the whole "Allergic to exercise" thing. People joke about being allergic to exercise, but that poor woman actually was, It was a long time ago, but you aren't alone.
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    No, this has nothing to do with dry sweat or itchy clothes. I'm talking about hives! lol, like if it were itchiness from sweat or laundry detergent, that's one thing, but the itchiness feels like it's under my skin, and it's very uncomfortable and somewhat painful. I literally feel faint if I try to ignore it...it goes away after some time of me consistently exercising, but it slows me down big time in the begining. When I'm able to get past it and finally excercise like a normal person, God forbid if I dare to stop working out for a week! The hives come back with vengeance! I'M NOT ASKING FOR MEDICAL ADVICE, lol, I plan to see a doctor, but I just wanted to see if anyone else may have experienced this...I don't think fragrance free detergent has anything to do with it, but I wish it did! It would be so much easier to solve.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I've gotten this when drinking preworkout. It could also be the material in your clothes--some synthetic blends give people rashes.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Do you add anything to your water bottle or do you have a special pre-workout snack? Perhaps you are having an allergic reaction to food? The fact that it happens to your sister as well is curious.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem, my doctor prescribed me a strong anti histamine, he said I am basically allergic to my own sweat, I also get headaches when I exercise too
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a severe form of heat rash. Take a look at what you're wearing, and see if you could get some sweat-wicking gym clothes. I have an UnderArmour sports bra that has a 'cool tech' element, and it means the sweat is drawn away from the body, I don't feel any wetness, and it's far more comfortable working out. Perhaps also try gym shorts rather than longer pants. Skin open to the air will get rid of sweat far easier than parts covered up. But it does sound severe enough that it would be best to see a doctor. Just be aware that anywhere you have a thickness of fabric preventing sweat and body heat from adequately leaving the body - waistband of pants is classic - is clearly somewhere you could reduce the amount of fabric. Lightweight, super-wicking clothes are the way to go.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    My legs itch like all get out when I run in the cold - but I think that's temperature related. I would bring this up to your doc, though. I could be something to do with your circulation. Lots of blood flowing when you're running...
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kitticus15 wrote: »
    I have a similar problem, my doctor prescribed me a strong anti histamine, he said I am basically allergic to my own sweat, I also get headaches when I exercise too
    Huh. This makes sense for the OP since she mentioned her sister has the same issue.

ETA - OP maybe try taking some Benadryl about 15 minutes before and see if it helps. If it does, you have your answer.

• kshama2001
    Options
    bekah818 wrote: »
    No, this has nothing to do with dry sweat or itchy clothes. I'm talking about hives! lol, like if it were itchiness from sweat or laundry detergent, that's one thing, but the itchiness feels like it's under my skin, and it' someone what painful and I literally feel faint...it goes away after some time of consistently exercising, but if I dare stop for a week, it comes back. I plan to see a doctor, but I just wanted to see if anyone else may have experienced this...I don't think fragrance free detergent has anything to do with it, but I wish it did! It would be so much easier to solve.

It's an easy test as well.

I'm recommending it because I know people who only experience a reaction to fabric softener after exercise.

Allergic Reaction to Fabric Softener

Fabric softeners are designed to reduce the amount of static in synthetic fibers, and are composed of many chemicals, some of which can be major irritants on the skin and body. Babies, children, older adults and people with weakened immune systems are typically more sensitive to the chemicals in fabric softeners and are more likely to experience reactions.

Description

Contact dermatitis is the technical name for a reaction on the skin when it makes contact with an offending allergen, such as fabric softener. Mayo Clinic explains that the signs and symptoms of a fabric softener reaction can include a red rash or bumps, itching, pain, tenderness or a localized skin rash. Two of the chemicals in fabric softener responsible for this reaction, states the Environmental Health Association of Nova Scotia, are quanternium and imidazolidinyl, described as formaldehyde releasers. A more severe allergy to fabric softener can cause hives -- small, swollen welts -- to form on the skin.

According to the Dayton Ear, Nose, and Throat Surgeons, Inc., fumes from fabric softener can irritate some people, leading to tiredness, difficulty breathing, anxiety, dizziness, headaches, faintness and memory troubles.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I've gotten this when drinking preworkout. It could also be the material in your clothes--some synthetic blends give people rashes.

Ya, try 100% cotton (washed in fragrance-free detergent.)

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do? Talk to your doctor. They're the one that can help you find exactly what it is, be it heat rash or some allergy, and help you figure out what to do about it. This does sound like a medical issue, and internet forums are not good places to get information and help because you'll get all kinds of suggestions that may or may not work for you because (even if a doctor or two is in here) we don't have your medical history to look at.
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't use pre-workout,but I do use fabric sofetner. I'm def seeing a doctor, lol. I know the internet isn't the place for medical advice, I just wanted to see who could relate. Thanks everyone!
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    kitticus15 wrote: »

^This. I have an old colleague who suffered the same and was allergic to his own sweat. See your doctor and get it sorted.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I actually used to have this, too! I went to a doctor, and I can't remember exactly what they said, but it was something like the blood vessels near the surface of my skin were opening and more active than they'd ever been, and it was making me itchy. And yep, it went away after about a month of regular exercise!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    you keep saying hives....do you actually see hives? Or are you just comparing it to hives because it's so intense? My daughter has mastocytosis and heat, friction, physical stress make her break out in actual hives. raised, red hives. She has to take an antihistamine everyday just to.....go on with life, we never know what will break her out.