I break out in itchy hives when I work out!

Options

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    ffbrown25 wrote: »
    I actually used to have this, too! I went to a doctor, and I can't remember exactly what they said, but it was something like the blood vessels near the surface of my skin were opening and more active than they'd ever been, and it was making me itchy. And yep, it went away after about a month of regular exercise!

this is super common, and probably what it is if you don't actually see hives. this kind of itching can get pretty intense, almost achy.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have this as well. And it's not a fabric softener issue or fragrance. It's blood vessels.

And yes, it comes back if I don't run outside for 2 weeks. But when it comes back, it only happens the first workout back and is fine the next time.

Only thing I can suggest is that if you take a couple weeks off, your first one or two workouts should be at a less intense pace to minimize it. The adjustment time should be really quick because you aren't starting from scratch.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bekah818 wrote: »
    No, this has nothing to do with dry sweat or itchy clothes. I'm talking about hives! lol, like if it were itchiness from sweat or laundry detergent, that's one thing, but the itchiness feels like it's under my skin, and it's very uncomfortable and somewhat painful. I literally feel faint if I try to ignore it...it goes away after some time of me consistently exercising, but it slows me down big time in the begining. When I'm able to get past it and finally excercise like a normal person, God forbid if I dare to stop working out for a week! The hives come back with vengeance! I'M NOT ASKING FOR MEDICAL ADVICE, lol, I plan to see a doctor, but I just wanted to see if anyone else may have experienced this...I don't think fragrance free detergent has anything to do with it, but I wish it did! It would be so much easier to solve.
    The reason people bring it up is that new and bizarre rashes and hives are almost always laundry-related, so it's always a good idea to switch to fragrance-free an eliminate laundry as a possible cause. :)

That doesn't mean it's your problem, just a suggestion.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    I have this as well. And it's not a fabric softener issue or fragrance. It's blood vessels.

And yes, it comes back if I don't run outside for 2 weeks. But when it comes back, it only happens the first workout back and is fine the next time.

Only thing I can suggest is that if you take a couple weeks off, your first one or two workouts should be at a less intense pace to minimize it. The adjustment time should be really quick because you aren't starting from scratch.

it happens to me too, compression garmets help ALOT. I run three times a week, and regardless of time in between if I run when it's still cold or when it's really hot, it always aggravates it.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Histamine Response

Some research suggests that histamine is released during exercise to protect against fatigue, rather than as an allergic response. Histamine works to expand blood vessels in your body, but, unfortunately, sends the itchy message to your brain. As with urticaria, taking an antihistamine before running may help, and it’s possible that as you continue your regimen, the itching will lessen.
    - See more at: http://share.upmc.com/2015/03/prevent-runners-itch-save-workout/#sthash.Sh5ezpYg.dpuf

Your doctor or an allergist can do a skin test to see if you react to histamines. Probably a good idea to talk to your doc about this one.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »

it happens to me too, compression garmets help ALOT. I run three times a week, and regardless of time in between if I run when it's still cold or when it's really hot, it always aggravates it.

Agreed, compression sleeves help.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Sure, if cotton clothes washed in fragrance-free detergent didn't do the trick, I'd be off to the doctor myself.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Sounds like cholinergic urticaria -- heat hives. Do see your docter, though. Antihistamines might help, but again, talk to your doctor. Good luck!
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

Yes, i don't itch wherever I have compression on.
  • porterparkermom
    porterparkermom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get exercise induced hives, talk to an allergist and have him prescribe anti histimine, my sister went into anaphylaxis once, it is not something to ignore or ouch past
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hi, I didn't read everyone's answer but this is a thing called exercise induced uticaria. I believe it normally requires treatment by a doctor and it can be pretty serious.

I get itchy when I run sometimes, but I don't get the hives with are the primary symptom of uticaria.

here is what wikipedia says.

The condition was first distinguished in 1980. People with exercise urticaria (EU) experience hives, itchiness, shortness of breath and low blood pressure five to 30 minutes after beginning exercise. These symptoms can progress to shock and even sudden death. Jogging is the most common exercise to cause EU, but it is not induced by a hot shower, fever, or with fretfulness. This differentiates EU from cholinergic urticaria.[citation needed]

EU sometimes occurs only when someone exercises within 30 minutes of eating particular foods, such as wheat or shellfish. For these individuals, exercising alone or eating the injuring food without exercising produces no symptoms. EU can be diagnosed by having the patient exercise and then observing the symptoms. This method must be used with caution and only with the appropriate resuscitative measures at hand. EU can be differentiated from cholinergic urticaria by the hot water immersion test. In this test, the patient is immersed in water at 43 °C (109.4 °F). Someone with EU will not develop hives, while a person with cholinergic urticaria will develop the characteristic small hives, especially on the neck and chest.[citation needed]

The immediate symptoms of this uncanny type are treated with antihistamines, epinephrine and airway support. Taking antihistamines prior to exercise may be effective. Ketotifen is acknowledged to stabilise mast cells and prevent histamine release, and has been effective in treating this hives disorder. Avoiding exercise or foods that cause the mentioned symptoms is very important. In particular circumstances, tolerance can be brought on by regular exercise, but this must be under medical supervision.[citation needed]
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I don't use pre-workout,but I do use fabric sofetner. I'm def seeing a doctor, lol. I know the internet isn't the place for medical advice, I just wanted to see who could relate. Thanks everyone!

I am not a doctor. Ask your doctor to assess you for 'exercise-induced urticaria'. It's not an unusual condition. It isn't related to what you wash your workout clothes in. It's treatable using some of the same medications used for other allergic reactions.

For now, just stop exercising when the hives happen. You don't want to push the reaction further if you have this condition.

This may or may not be what you have. I'm just suggesting that you mention it to your doc. Take care!

Thank you!!
  • bekah818
    Options
    ffbrown25 wrote: »
    I actually used to have this, too! I went to a doctor, and I can't remember exactly what they said, but it was something like the blood vessels near the surface of my skin were opening and more active than they'd ever been, and it was making me itchy. And yep, it went away after about a month of regular exercise!

this is super common, and probably what it is if you don't actually see hives. this kind of itching can get pretty intense, almost achy.

Hmm you're right the itching is very intense and almost achy :(
  • bekah818
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    No, this has nothing to do with dry sweat or itchy clothes. I'm talking about hives! lol, like if it were itchiness from sweat or laundry detergent, that's one thing, but the itchiness feels like it's under my skin, and it's very uncomfortable and somewhat painful. I literally feel faint if I try to ignore it...it goes away after some time of me consistently exercising, but it slows me down big time in the begining. When I'm able to get past it and finally excercise like a normal person, God forbid if I dare to stop working out for a week! The hives come back with vengeance! I'M NOT ASKING FOR MEDICAL ADVICE, lol, I plan to see a doctor, but I just wanted to see if anyone else may have experienced this...I don't think fragrance free detergent has anything to do with it, but I wish it did! It would be so much easier to solve.
    The reason people bring it up is that new and bizarre rashes and hives are almost always laundry-related, so it's always a good idea to switch to fragrance-free an eliminate laundry as a possible cause. :)

Hmm you make a good point. Thank you!
  • bekah818
    Options

Yes. It's not an unreasonable suggestion and is worth checking out. It's just that 'exercise-induced urticaria' (hives and other allergic response symptoms that are triggered by exercise) is a real medical condition and is also worth checking out. Hopefully the OP can get an answer from her doctor soon so she can get some relief!

Thank you so much!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Yes. It's not an unreasonable suggestion and is worth checking out. It's just that 'exercise-induced urticaria' (hives and other allergic response symptoms that are triggered by exercise) is a real medical condition and is also worth checking out. Hopefully the OP can get an answer from her doctor soon so she can get some relief!
    I'm not saying it's not real. I didn't say anything at all about it. She could have it. It could be that or laundry or something else entirely. Not pretending I know what the heck is up with her.

I certainly wasn't trying to pretend to diagnose anyone and if it sounded that way, I want to be VERY clear on that.

I have no clue and she should go see her doctor. Of course. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What did your doctor say about this?
  • bekah818
    Options
    You all had some really great suggestions. I appreciate the feedback and I'm happy to finally hear that people know what I'm talking about, lol. Ay yi yi
  • ramepithecus
    ramepithecus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you go to a doctor I'd be interested to hear what he/she has to say. I get something like this. After some experimentation I can tell that the hives are brought on by my heating up quickly, but not my sweat by itself. If I warm up gradually I don't get it, no matter how much exercise I do after. (Although if I run when it's cold out it is especially severe and starting slow doesn't seem to help.) I haven't noticed any improvement from benadryl or claritin.

I haven't been to a doctor yet because so far the itchiness hasn't been extreme, just a nuisance, although the hives can be a little disconcerting.