Why am I not losing weight. Im ready to give up

Options
I started at 218 pound and got down to 207 but I cannot get past that wait I may get down to 205 204 at the most but I always come back at 207 the next day or whatever. I have been staying hydrated, i change my calorie intake a few time, i keep active ( I have a 21 month old Boy so very active lol) so Im at a lost n ready to give up. Help

Replies

• mollymegan19
    mollymegan19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    do you eat a lot of carbs? Are you eating enough calories?
  • mgonyer123
    mgonyer123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? Do you exercise?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've lost weight? How do you determine how much you're eating (food scale/measuring cups/eyeballing portions)? How do you determine calories burned via exercise, and how much, if any, do you eat back?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's hard to answer these kinds of posts without more details. How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale? If it's only been a few weeks, then it's possible that it's just a natural stall and will go away on its own.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

Other than that, the most common problems we see come from underestimating calories eaten and overestimating calories burned.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If you're an outlier due to size, age, or medical conditions, then it may be best to check with your doctor or a registered dietitian.

tl;dr version (courtesy of @lemonlionheart z6ql30k2km5a.jpg
    )
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Both not an issue in weight loss unless there is a medical issue.

Weight loss is a simple equation: calories in vs calories out. Either you eat too much (more than you think, usually) or you don't burn as many calories as you think. In short: you only gain weight if you eat a surplus of food, you only maintain if you eat as much as you burn, and you only lose if you eat less than you burn. What is your calorie intake? Do you weigh everything in grams on a digital scale? No 'cups', 'spoons', and 'pieces'? If so, you could be underestimating your calorie intake by as much as 600 calories a day (or more!). If you feel comfortable opening your diary, we could have a look...?
  • Gypsy_MerMom
    Gypsy_MerMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    mgonyer123 wrote: »

I do weigh my food n exercise n im breastfeeding a toddler so I add those calories n I was first at 1400 then uped it at 1800 but nothing still
  • Gypsy_MerMom
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How long has it been since you've lost weight? How do you determine how much you're eating (food scale/measuring cups/eyeballing portions)? How do you determine calories burned via exercise, and how much, if any, do you eat back?

I use measuring cups and a scale I
  • Gypsy_MerMom
    Options
    content://media/external/file/52062
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mgonyer123 wrote: »

I do weigh my food n exercise n im breastfeeding a toddler so I add those calories n I was first at 1400 then uped it at 1800 but nothing still

If you were not losing at 1400, then it makes a lot of sense that you are maintaining/gaining weight on 1800. You're actively creating a surplus as...

...you use cups to measure your food. Cups are notoriously unreliable as they are ususally used to measure high calorie foods like pasta, beans, and grains. Use a scale for everything and weight every single thing in grams. Log everything. Eat a deficit. You will loose weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Can you open up your diary? Most likely, depending on what you're using the cups for instead of the scale, you're eating more than you think.
  • Gypsy_MerMom
    Options
    My weight progress
    June 24 205.2
    July 1 20 7.8
    July 3 207
    July 6 206.6
    Jully 7 205.6
    July 11 205
    July 16 207.2
    July 17 205