Options
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good night everyone!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Michele – Praying for Vince and you. Glad he will get to go home and praying that all will go well. Take care of you and get some rest.

Barbie – Thank you. There is a Senior Center close by and I know they have some types of dance classes and I think the YMCA has some. I will check into them. It just sounds like fun even if I never get good it. I am so uncoordinated. :)

Kim in N. California – Happy for you that your classes are finished up and you can be away from the goodies for a while at least. Enjoy your summer.

DJ – Loved your list of positives things you and hubby have noticed since your weight loss. I loved it and was agreeing all the way down the line. I absolutely NEVER thot I would feel this well and have this much energy again in my life time. I am so thrilled and only wish I had done it years ago. It makes any food I turn down, or crave or miss so WORTH it. Reminds me of the old Weight Watchers poster from years ago “Nothing tastes as good and being Thin Feels”.

Margaret in MN – I too missed telling you that I loved the tatting your grandmother did. My friend, years ago, tatted me a cross Bible marker that I cherish.

Janet In NO – Thanks on our pic. And yes the school budgets have all been cut so drastically here in Oklahoma the kids have to pay for everything they do it seems. Right now I feel I have to obsess in order to maintain. I'm hoping eventually he will see it as a “new me” rather than my obsession. I would love for him to join in at least walking with me. He is tall and thin but had to have two stents put in two years ago and smokes. He needs to keep his body in shape also. I'm tying to live by example. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Meg from Omaha – sorry you are sad, its so hard to give up a good friend. I have not really made a good friend here in Oklahoma. I so wish I had someone to do my walking and other fun things with. I have such a hard time doing things on my own. Am so intimidated by new situations, hard to get out of my shell.

Here's a surprise. My daughters' father is visiting both of them this week. He is with the oldest in Denver right now and will go to TX to see the youngest on Monday. They have not seen him in 8 ½ years. I guess in his old age he has come to the realization that he missed out on a whole lot of love in his life by walking away from his girls when they were 3 and 4, and hence his grandkids. I realize people get divorced for what ever reason, but I can not understand not having your children in your life.

Janetr OKC
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Goals for July:
    1. Focus on small steps toward goals - organize/declutter - 15 mins daily, green blender drinks x3 daily, exercise at least hour daily, 2 on weekends.
    2. Focus on improving my life - appearance, environment, mental state.

Went to a yard sale this am - picked up sewing basket for DD, also a box of beads. You ladies (Lisa) comments have made me think - going to give her my beads and strands w/request for some finished jewelry back my way. She is actually taking time to make things, even set up an etsy account, so time to pass it on.
    Sent email to my DS who is in Navy. Need to setup an email account and figure a way for my mom to learn how to use a computer. She likes to write letters but don't think he will be able to receive for long periods of time.
    goodnight dear ladies! please pray for my friend Sue, at 69 she runs bikes and swims and keeps me going. fell last weekend over a dog and broke both wrists, surgery w/hardware done sunday.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Very fun time at Moondance! We are enjoying our new house and location immensely! My DD and DSnL love staying in the cabin. They feel like they have their own place. Our grandfurbaby loves it too.

Heather- you look great in your picture! What an inspiration!

Katla- thanks for letting us know about Michele and Vince. We will pray for them.

Carol/Peach - too bad about the swimsuit! That's a problem with ordering online. Our town's Main Street is less than a mile long. It is a resort town. It has local family ran shops, not large chains, restaurants, candy store, ice cream parlor...located on the 3rd largest lake in Minnesota, 111,527 acres. Leech lake is also the #1 Walleye fishing lake in Minnesota at this time. It is also located where the two longest bike/ snowmobile trails intersect. We are also about 30 minutes away from the start of the Mississippi River in Itasca State Park. I can literally step out my door and take a walk or bike or snowmobile across the state of Minnesota. Everyone should come here and we could Forest Gump it across Minnesota.

Allison - wow! You had a really rough day! Hang in there things will get better! (((hugs)))

DJ - what an encouraging list of NSV! You should be very proud of your accomplishments. It also sounds like you have a lot of support from your DH. Thank you for encouraging me and all the other ladies here. You are one of the best at commenting and responding to everyone's posts!

Barbie- I love the way you work hard and live life and enjoy ice cream!

Kim - now you can enjoy your summer! Have fun!!!

JanetM- I thought Larry was going to give you the one hour massage! That might have been better, maybe then you might have felt noodly. That is of course if Larry is your DH or SO.

Janetr- I am glad for your girls. I am sure that they have mixed emotions. And you probably do too.

Pip - I see you keep marking your spot which is very encouraging. I hope you feel better really soon!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Barbie, love the lavender and your lavender shirt also! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Allison when we had our last land line phone, one day it just went dead. We had had it for many yeas so time to retire it anyway. It still used those little tiny tapes on the answering machine. Anyway, when we had any kind of special day, birthday day, grandparents day, etc, Christina would have the girls sing to us over the phone. She would make sure it was a time she knew we would not be at home or were asleep so it would be kept on the answering machine. Trinity will be 14 soon and I still had messages from her alone on it. Well I had to throw all of those away. Heart breaking but i knew I still had them and that's what really counts. My phone plan is a no contract plan. It's by Virgin Mobile. You buy the phone and just put the plan on it. It can be a really cheap phone or an Iphone. The plan is $35/month and then I pay an extra $15 to make it a hot spot. If I want to skip a months payment, that's OK, I just have to realize I have no service. If I want to quit, no big fee for breaking contract since there is no contract. I did get a nice phone which I paid around $200 for about 5 years ago. I can tell that the phone is getting pretty old but it still serves my purpose, which is texting my daughters. It is unlimited data, text and phone all for $35!

Lisa, as I just wrote to Allison, my phone is a wifi hot spot. It uses a lot of battery so I always make sure I have it on the charger. My sister's husband won't tell me his router password so I use it when I am over at her house trying to rescue her tablet. I don't think she will ever get the hang of a tablet.

Kate, never knew how to make almond milk. Thanks

MNMargaret, good idea on subletting an apartment for son until he is ready to use it. You are good parents.

Katla, I had to go back and see what I did to explain something medical here. That was my passion, teaching patients and family. One time I was assigned to one of the cardiologists who was having a cardiac catheterization. Was pretty nervous! I mean, he did a dozen of those things a day and I was assigned to him as a nurse to take care of him. I saw parts of him that I am sure he wasn't proud to come back to work knowing I had seen them! But I didn't know how much information his wife knew about the procedure or the heart. So I treated him just like and other patient of mine and went through the whole book.

Vicki, good news on your Mom!!!!! A load of your shoulders also!.

Terri, do you have Pandora on your phone? My favorite station for exercising is the '60's oldies. It will get you going. Toilet paper? No Ellie has never asked for that. Her favorite think to do is to go to Goodwill and buy some really cheap item, go home and completely deconstruct it and then put all those pieces into something else. Right before she went to camp, first year at camp, she took a pair of jeans that didn't fit her anymore, cut a leg off, stuffed it with who knows what, twisted the ends and put a pony tail holder and scrunchie around the ends then ribbons. She wrote the name of her camp and the year and then had all her cabin mates sign it. All this was her idea. When she has been in her room for awhile you never know what is going to come out. I wish they could get both the girls in 4H. She likes science and engineering things the most. Made her own bow, arrows and quiver. As far as using your insurance to cover something for your head and back, why aren't you able to use the insurance of the person who hit you?

Heather, beautiful home you visited.Just curious, the web site said admission is 14.50 in pounds. What is that in US dollars? What is the conversion of pounds to dollars? You look lovely in your dress. Was that picture taken in your hotel room? you always confuse me in your talk. Now what does twee mean?????

Carol/Peach, I agree GRRRRRR

OK, an EP exam is this. Well I will back track a bit and start out start out talking about your heart. The heart has two different functions, The vascular part of it supplies blood to the rest of the bodies organs and then the heart itself has it's own personal blood suply and that is what is examined in stress tests, cardiac catheterizations, etc. The other component of the heart is the electrical part. It is what causes the heart to beat. There is this little tiny bundle of nerves at the top of the heart called sinus nerves that initiate the beat. If that beat is not seen by the next set of nerves down the line, another set of nerves will take over. Or several nerves may pick up the signal and you have atrial fibrillation like several here do. So an electrophysiologist does a highly specialized test to check out the nervous system of the heart. That is called an EP test. It can take a relatively short time, 1-2 hours or many hours, 6-8, just depends on how the nerves cooperate with the doctor and how easy or difficult it is to find the one nerve that isn't working right. I once wanted to be a nurse in that lab and when I found out how many hours I would have to stand still, well I took my application out of the mix. The V tach that Michele's husband is having, was having, can be pretty dangerous. The electrical signal is all messed up and the coronary or vascular system can't keep up with weird firings of electrical signals telling the heart to beat so fast.

Well, this patient access thing that helps patients take care of the medicine for Charlies ulcerative colitis didn't call back today so I called them. They said they have it on record that Charlie was accepted into the 'RemiStart' to be able receive financial assistance for up to one year. But it is a retro payment and you may not get your payment back until 3 treatments are given. So you are paying a huge out of pocket price and then waiting for them to send you the money back. In the meantime you are still getting more treatments and paying huge amounts. Charlie said no way on that. He says he will just live the rest of his life like he is. Men can be so stubborn. He didn't blink an eye when I was paying over $100,000/month for my MS medicine. But he will not allow it for himself. I can't get him to understand that on a Medicare d plan, paying that much will get you in the catastrophic period of the plan year real quick, like March. And then you aren't paying that much at all. But after all that we get an actual letter from RemiStart that he wasn't approved for it. so I don't know what is going on. $5/treatment sure sounded wonderful rather than $100,000. And he will not alter his diet even though I have shown him how certain days which correlate with bad eating, he has awful days and nights.

Our heat index was 100 degrees at 10 PM today. YUCK. Penny, I may want to stay at your house while you are in the US.

Joyce, Indiana

• italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Rosie in SoCal - that insight could make a poster itself: "Whether I exercise or sit and do nothing, the worry will still be right here with me. It's my choice how I respond to it."
    wvb7vfa48a0r.jpg
    (The photo isn't mine; I went on Google and looked for one that allowed reuse. And it looks as if I should have reduced it in size. Sorry.)

Great walking!

Thanks JanetMMcC, you captured my meaning and feelings exactly correct. <3

stats for yesterday since I'm up way to late-
    steps - 13,252
    miles - 5.44
    stairs- 19 floors
    calories eaten-1600

Another great summer day! Wish this schedule could go on forever, but August will arrive with many changes. Planning to enjoy every moment of Juy! Sending cheers to all you Phat Chatters!

Rosie in So Cal
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,286 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good morning folks!

Feel like I'm recovering from a long holiday and it was only one night!! Did my usual 600 cal exercises this morning. Now waiting for DH to bring me coffee. <3

Joyce - last time I looked a dollar was around 60p. So you add around a third on to get the price in dollars. So around $22. We are members of the National Trust and pay yearly for membership. So it was free for us. Each year we try to get the value of our membership back by visiting enough places. I love stately homes and gardens. The Trust also owns lots of beautiful countryside, especially coastal. All the coast round where we were staying is owned by them. Thank goodness as it keeps it undeveloped and beautiful. They recieve their property from people who gift it to them on their death. Sometimes they buy an important property.
    Twee means a bit too sweet or pretty. Cloying. Yes that was the entry to the room. I can tell you I was VERY disappointed not to have the Generous room. Then when I was grumpily out on my sandy walk and feeling cross I remembered a saying I learnt at a personal development course - "You can either be right or be happy." I chose to be happy. :bigsmile:
    GOOD CHOICE! :laugh:

Sending loads of love to Michele and Vince. And to Joyce and Charlie. And to anyone else who needs a loving hug and their husbands who don't look after themselves. :cry: Or who do and are still suffering. :sad: I wish I could wave a magic wand. :love:

Just arranged to Skype the grandchildren tomorrow morning at 8.30. :bigsmile: Our next visit is the 6th August and we are going to stay later and eat with them in their posh new kitchen. We have to park at the airport station to do that.

DH has cricket tomorrow and, as I have to lose my hotel calories, I am going to have to be a good girl. I reckon I have about 600 to lose to get back to equilibrium. Two days of being good. o:) Hope I can do it. County cricket normally is a four day affair. :sad:

Much love to all. You are sooooooooo important to me! :love: I echo all DJ's thoughts and I know I coild not have maintained this lifestyle without you. In the past I yo yoed, lost weight and always gained back more. And more. And more. This time I have kept it off for over 18 months. Thank you all. :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,751 Member
    Options
    morning dear friends~
    had a good night sleep and today is a new day.. still sort of cranky about work.. not once do I ever see anyone get in trouble, it is always me..
    Thinking of Vince and hope Michelle and Vince get some rest.
    Pip~ hope your shoulder heals with minimal pain and frustration.
    didnt post my food yesterday but did get my 10,000 steps
    we will go see DFIL and see what kind of mood he is in this morning, if he is cranky we will leave. and go back tomorrow..
    hey do any of you have laminate floors, what do you use to clean it. a swiffer? I know you dont use a mop and water..
    we are expecting a bit of rain this morning
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good wishes and prayers for Michelle and Vince.

Binged last night because I drank too much wine and as a result ate Oreos and PNB malted crackers. Today is a new day.

Carol/Peach
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning my friends,

I have to get ready for my class so this is a quickie. I have read all the overnight posts but no time to respond to many. I'm not looking forward to sitting all day but not shy and will stand and stretch when needed.

Cory, so sorry for your friend. OMG, I broke one wrist a few years ago, falling over our dog. It was terrible not having use of just the one so I can’t imagine two.

Joyce, so sorry Charlie won’t budge on his medication. Yours was $100,000 a month? I hope that was b efore help from insurance??? Your explanation on the heart was great, thanks.

Heather, I just love to “be right” , too but think the choice to “be happy” is usually the best one.

Carol, back away from the Oreos and PNB crackers. Or should I say Back Away from the Wine? LOL Today’s a new day.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Have a great day, my friends. rose.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Heather (UK) - beautiful dress and looks very good one you.

Pip - you take care and make sure you heal - our it will come back and bite you later!!

The rain has started to turn things green again.... yeah!! Fires are getting under control and roads are opening back up and the people in the northern part of the province are getting to go home. My cousin was so happy to get to go back to her own bed in La Ronge.

Okay... July is a really trying month!! So many challenges... and I have failed. :( I have given into to many birthday cakes and this morning the effects of the sugar have caught up to me. My body hurts soooo bad! I have a ^&%#$# of headache. And I still have DGS birthday and my own to get through. And because I hurt so bad I will not eat sugar ... I do have total control of my own birthday party.

Opps gotta go, neighbour lady will be here in 20 minutes and I haven't had breakfast yet.

Off to a tailgate sale at the lake and then the fair and then the birthday and have to make salad tooo....

Later
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,286 Member
    Options
    Phew! Just finished rigging up the netting for the purple sprouting broccoli. Had no idea when I ordered it that it would be lime green! ! ! ! But if it keeps out those pesky cabbage whites it's worth it. Watered and dead headed. Picked sweet peas which are scenting the air behind me as I lie on the sofa. :bigsmile:
    I think my contraption rivals Penny's for creativity! ! ! !

Posting a photo of it. In front are my denuded sweet peas and runner beans. On the far right is the blackcurrant bush from which DH has just picked the last of a bumper crop. Dismal failure with zucchini this year and peas.

xsuthbyc5uzz.jpg

Love Heather, resting now in Hampshire UK
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies
    Made some pond scum today. Well that what it looks like. I decided that I need to try some smoothies out. Got my home made almond milk, cup full of raw spinach, 100g summer berries, and grated carrot. It looked awful but actually did not taste too bad. Quite refreshing slightly bitter with a hint of sweetness from fruit. High protein and nutrients. Im not sure it will be a regular thing but when Im not hungry its definitely one to keep me going rather than skipping meals entirely. I have been slowly sipping at it all afternoon while working around the house. Refrigerated it and keep topping my glass up to ensure I use all the calories up I put in it. Looking forward to my basa and veg for tonight's dinner. Keeping it plain today steaming it all. Spend the day tidying bits and pieces. Thought about making some bags but thats as far as it went. I want to make a crazy patchwork bag next, I think. It might inspire me to start embroidering again.
    Kate
  • 3dtammy
    3dtammy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I just found this group and am very encouraged. I turned 50 last month so I would love to join. I really need to hear from a group of motivated healthy women over 50. I live in Oregon and am married for 24 years to same wonderful guy. He is 15 years older than me and retired. I work full time in the financial services industry so have a high stress job. I love to walk, want to get back to running, love to hike, love vegetables but have lost most of my motivation in the past year or so to get and stay healthy. I've been overweight for about 20 years and trying to overcome it one way or the other. It gets discouraging after 20 years to feel like I just don't get it... Still. Sorry to vent but I think I read somewhere to tell you about myself. Anyway I need to lose 70 pounds to get to where I would feel healthy. At this point it's not even for vanity anymore. My picture here is from last February 2014 when I did a 5K run walk in downtown Portland with my daughter. The shamrock run. I'm going for a short walk this morning but I have to go to the office this afternoon. I really need to figure out how to work less, put me first more, find time to cook healthy and get more exercise in. Please let me know what I need to do to be part of this group. I've been using MFP for a couple years but never use the boards. Would like to start. Thanks.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,614 Member
    Options
    morning pa-pa-pa-peep-stirs -

kids leet me sleep til 8:30, shoulder, not so much, eh, here and there. i found that i am most dizziest when i first lay down, when i first get up and when i first sit down and now, lololol. continual headache is also a drag. i found that i can't wear a sports bra (not really quick/easy putting it on) with the left shoulder strap. gotta put it off the shoulder. gonna go spin for bout 1/2 hr then get in the hot tub.

did i tell u we got a dishwasher put in? we had a portable one that we would drag out, plug up and use, now we got one like other people do. when we redid the kitchen we left a hole for that spot. well it's finally filled in and i am running it now. never had a dishwasher (built in) b4.

gotta go poop peeps. type back later.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Glad you got your dishwasher Pip. Hope you feel better soon.

3dTammy ~ You joined by posting. Very nice folks here.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi all! We're having a good time here in New Hampshire with fun and sun and family. My grandson looked at me one day and said "You are here, too!" It isn't more than a couple weeks since we saw them last - though that was on the other side of the Atlantic. Both their parents are along this time. (Mom isn't at home in Sweden working as she was when Dad and the kids visited us in northern Norway.) My sister and her family are here, and my parents, so that makes a total of 12 at table.

Chris - a few days ago my grandkids were running around picking flowers and singing Happy Birthday at the top of their lungs. Nobody here has a birthday anytime soon, so I guess they were singing for YOU! :flowerforyou:

Serena - sorry to hear how much you have been through in a short stretch of time. I read your essay and will keep it in mind. I've also learned a lot from my father about handling other people's bereavement. Several times I've seen him approach a friend or neighbor at the extended care facility where they live (in the winter), rest his hand on their shoulder and say "I'm sorry for your loss." Caring, but no prying.

Heather - nice dress, pretty wildflowers. There aren't many members of the Apiacaea family that have yellow blossoms, so maybe I'll be able to figure out exactly what that one is. I have a special place in my heart for guillemots and their high-northern cousins (Brünnich's guillemots). I couldn't see any on that sheer rock face but I can vividly recall the racket they make when nesting.

Good for you for improvising the broccoli net! I've grown broccoli a couple times. I usually order seeds from a smallish firm in Sweden where they both produce seeds and breed new varieties. They offer customers free "trial" seeds as a way of getting new varieties tested in a wide range of soils, climate zones, light conditions and so on. One year they sent me seeds for an experimental breed of broccoli (is it called rabe broccoli?) that gave many small flower heads rather than a few big ones. I was skeptical but tried it out — and was astounded at the result! I have no trouble with the usual cabbage-family pests, probably because mine is the only garden in a 1-km radius. Actually, mine is one of only three gardens in a 10-km radius.

Poop - ditto on what everyone else has said. You know, take care of yourself, take it easy, and so on and so forth. That reminds me of when my kids had become too old to be nagged at. I subsumed all my unsaid comments into a gesture – as if I was flicking water at them – accompanied by the words "Mother stuff, mother stuff."

My weight loss has stalled, though that wasn't unexpected. At least it hasn't turned the other direction yet. I've been a good girl and done my exercising and watched my food intake. But yesterday I threw caution to the wind when my husband and I celebrated our 37th anniversary. So we had the G&T before dinner, wine with dinner, and ice cream for dessert. And this morning we stayed in bed and cuddled rather than going out and jogging in the rain. But as of NOW I'm back on track.

Wishing you all a good day!
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Michele: You and Vince are in my thoughts and prayers!

Meg: Sorry to hear you friend is moving away. Fortunately we now live in the world of social media and technology which should help you remain connected.

JanetM:Thank you for the links and info on the 10000 steps.

Lillian: Glad things are starting to turn green. Good luck on the birthday's. July is a bad month for me too (4,5, 8,9,12,16,17,19,22,25,30,31st) I need to save up for a year. Oh did I mention I have a BIG family. :smile:

DJ:Thank you for taking the time to list all of the benefits of weight loss that we may not realize. I realize that I've been feeling discouraged and defeated recently. Your list has helped me to focus on some of the positive aspects.

Heather: The dress looks fantastic on you! Thank you for posting pics of your travels. Oh and I bought some garam marsala the other day and used in my curry chicken recipe.

LisaH:Congrats on the warehouse and the consulting gig.

Sylvia:Hope all is well. Thank you for the 7up joke!

Katla:Why is your bike locked in a trailer?

JanetR:Love the pic of you and hubby!

Well it poured for most of the day yesterday. YAY!!! We need moisture so badly. I really need to work on my menu planning for next week. One of these days I will see positive results on that scale.

Thought for the day:“Trust the process. Your time is coming. Just do the work and the results will handle themselves.” ~ Tony Gaskins

Have a great weekend everyone

Carey-Edmonton

July Goals:

1. Do menu planning for July - Increasing protein to 130g per day. Do one week at a time so that can adjust as I go.

2. Log all meals - try to pre-log to get a better handle on calories for the day

3.Plan and Do - 2 fun things every week
    • W1: Family reunion - 3 days of fun and hard work
    • W2: Tai Chi with friend who will start beginners and needs some company. Hot Stone Massage
    • W3: Lunch with Tai Chi ladies, surprise Dad for his birthday, swimming with boys
    4. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes.
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Waiting in the Dallas airport for my next flight.Good time to catch up on posts.. YEAH for the rain in Canada I'm such a clutz with this phone keyboard. Looking forward to getting home to my notepad and computer so I can keep up and comment better. Toni