janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat,hot day,gonna go to the block party for awhile.Violet day
    Hugs
    jane
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

smiley-happy032.gifjanetr, I hope you find a line dance class. The secret to doing well is to make a commitment to go regularly, accept help from others who offer it, and to practice one step each week until it feels familiar....also, someone told me that "obsessed" was what lazy people called those of us who were focused and committed to doing better things in our lives.

smiley-happy032.gifCory, I like your goal of decluttering for 15 minutes each day..small steps make a huge difference

smiley-happy032.gifMary from MN, I'm glad you are enjoying your new home and community.

smiley-happy032.gifCarol/Peach, it's time to get the wine, Oreos, and crackers out of your house.

smiley-happy032.gifLillian, the only way I can deal with birthday cake and treats is to eat none of it. Once I start, I have no restraint, but if I don't start, I'm fine.

smiley-happy032.gifHeather, beautiful garden photo.

smiley-happy032.gifKate, with practice and time, I bet you'll grow to love your healthy smoothie in spite of what it looks like.

smiley-happy032.gif3dtammy, the way to start this journey is with one small step....keep coming back and read the encouraging words on this thread. Go to bed a tiny bit earlier and get up a bit earlier and walk a bit more each morning.....in time you'll be amazed....log your food and look for the calories you can do without.

smiley-happy032.gifPip, getting more rest will help a lot with your recovery...are you supposed to ice your shoulder?

smiley-happy032.gifAbout 10,000 steps......a lot depends on what else you are doing to be active. I walk a lot for exercise and get lots of steps, but on days that I ride my exercise bike or do yoga or weight training, I get fewer steps. So you have to look at the whole picture of your daily activity.

smiley-happy032.gifJake is gone for the day and I'm enjoying being alone for awhile. I like doing my chores and weight training and watching TV with no interruptions. I wouldn't like to be alone all the time, but an occasional day is huge treat.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

146200.png

July Resolutions
    *walk at least 15,000 steps a day
    * drink at least nine glasses of water a day
    *answer two long overdue e mails
    *strength training twice a week
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good thoughts to Michele and Vince. Have read all and have sent the remainder of you all appropriate ( I promise!!!) mental messages as I read because I am so short on time.

Been very steady here, not quite hectic......right now I'm between the luncheon/memorial service for my elderly friend and a dinner/concert. I did get up and speak about our friendship which is a major accomplishment for me with a large crowd of mostly strangers; especially with no notes. Need to get ready now and go to another friend's home to leave for dinner and a concert.......Straight No Chaser, which we see every year when they hit our area. My friend wants to eat somewhere I haven't been, knowing her it's going to be pricey, lol. I am not especially in the mood for this after this am but will shake it off and get on.

Will check in when I can.........Tomorrow leaving with DD on our annual "wander", about two weeks of tent camping and/or fighting over hotel stays in the mid-Atlantic states.............no real plans except to visit my parents graves, see what relatives we can catch up to, and a few days at Knoebels Park. Last year we were cut short due to both of us getting horrendous colds. Will be on the road for DD's birthday and my cousin and his husband are planning a celebration when we get to them. It's going to be fun to see what Gemma makes of this, poor little doggy girl.

Oh, Margaret..........I know I'm in the minority on this......story of my life....but I like it hung square.

You might not hear from me, but I'll be reading and wishing your all success in everything.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic............where it's roasting.........

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    hubby and I were out stopped Walmart to pick up Chester's meds, and who did I bump into but Rita... she looks good and was great to see her
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »

janetr, I hope you find a line dance class. The secret to doing well is to make a commitment to go regularly, accept help from others who offer it, and to practice one step each week until it feels familiar....also, someone told me that "obsessed" was what lazy people called those of us who were focused and committed to doing better things in our lives.

@Barbie - I love that explanation of obsessed. Same as my sisters telling me to stop losing, I've lost enough already. I'm going to keep that in mind. And thanks for the tips on the line dancing class. :)

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    hubby and I have been married 22 years today.Was hot and humid that day and rained too.
    off to the block party.Violet has been ready since 7 am,doesn`t start til 3,long day.lol
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,296 Member
    Options
    Jane - a very happy anniversary! :flowerforyou:

Janetr - I was told to stop losing at 154 lbs by my son and others. Now I am 139 lbs they all say I look good. That is in the middle of healthy BMI. I think it's just the shock of seeing you look different. And you don't look "mumsy" any more. :laugh: Also sometimes you lose it first in your face which does fill out again. My DSIL also said I was obsessed. I prefer dedicated. o:)

Looking forward to Skyping the DGC tomorrow! <3

Carey - good going on the spices! :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    Options
    JaneMartin - Happy Anniversary! Have fun celebrating your special day!

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    2000699mi6j9yqxm7.gif

To Jane and hubby
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,625 Member
    Options
    stat for the day:
    self spin- 79r, 106aw, 11-15ag, 11.7amph = 293c

may end up riding bike to the restaurant w kirby for his 1st free bday coupon so it may be more to come
  • doglady2002
    doglady2002 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I havea question what are some sweet treats you let yourself have that are not bad stuff ? I crave sweets and need to find something! I eat watermelon n if its a good flavor it works the last couple were not quite ripe!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,625 Member
    Options
    Hi I havea question what are some sweet treats you let yourself have that are not bad stuff ? I crave sweets and need to find something! I eat watermelon n if its a good flavor it works the last couple were not quite ripe!

Healthy choice fudge bars- 100 cal
    Fiber one brownie bare- 90 cal
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday afternoon everyone! It is really HOT here today, so I'm staying indoors. This morning we went to the Y to swim our laps and I discovered that I have to actually work at treading water now. I don't just float standing up like I used to. That seems like progress. Swimming laps seems to take more energy now.

We took our old exercise bike to the recycling center after swimming. It was just taking up space in the spare bedroom. Neither of us have used it in five years or so. Boy, was that thing dusty. It needed new batteries the last time we used it, but otherwise it's in good shape. They have a little re-sale center so hopefully they can get a few dollars for it. We do all our exercising at the Y now, so we don't need it.

Now we are at the lake. I'm making a turkey burger for my dinner tonight and a beef burger for hubby. He's not fond of turkey burgers. We are using whole wheat sandwich rounds instead of buns. Less calories and sodium. I'm also making corn on the cob and cantaloupe. So, it should be a pretty healthy meal.

My son took the kids to the drop off yesterday, so I didn't have to see his ex at all. But I will have to listen (and smile) Monday when they tell me all about their weekend. They were so excited to show their mom their new swimming skills. Apparently she has a new boyfriend who works at a motel with a pool, so they are going there.

Dog lady, when I want something sweet, besides fruit, I usually split a small chocolate bar with hubby. Dove is my favorite. Or make a 321 cake. (mix together one box of angel food cake and one box of a regular cake mix in a big bag, then combine 3 tablespoons of the dry mix, 2 tablespoons of water, and microwave for 1 minute.) Yesterday I made a 321 cake and added frozen peaches and blueberries. It was great! I love watermelon too, but am not good at choosing a good one. I think the seedless ones don't have as much flavor as the seeded ones, but hubby hates the seeds, so I keep trying to pick out a good one. Same trouble choosing canteloupe. I never seem to get a good one.

Well, I'm going to start dinner. Have a great evening.

Sylvia

• janetr7476
    Options
    @Jane - Happy Anniversary, congratulations :)
  • janetr7476
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Heather - wow. I'd love to look as good as you. :) My short term goal now is 145, so maybe I'll get there eventually. Thanks for the encouragement. And you are so right. My face and neck got very thin. I think that's better now. I'm short enough that the high end of the range for my height is below 140. I'm not stressing about it. Just going to keep on doing what I'm doing.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday here and Stan cooking Sunday Brunch. Only 1 smoothie today = Green Pineapple smoothie for lunch, for my high cholesterol and GI
    Not sure what is in store today but have washed woolens and dog sheet

So glad Vince can go home with no blockages

Did NO training yesterday but cleaned house. Felt good to give bathroom, laundry and kitchen a good clean and mop hard floors. Also vacced carpets and tidied up. Only 4373 steps but clean house
    Stan cut down a old dead tree.
    Rang Karen. he had 1st chemo Thursday, had Oncology massage Friday and taught her boxing class this morning. She was very tired and went home to sleep. She dontated her long hair for wigs. Phil is cooking for her

Lesley in Tasmania
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Joined a gym today. Chose it partly because it's an easy walk from the house, and partly because membership is $20 a month. Paid a year's membership in advance (which added up to rather more than $240 because they also have a $40 entry fee and something else) because reading online comments made me nervous about giving them my bank account info -- just about every comment, about this gym and others, said the gym or its account company kept taking money out after someone quit. And, while this doesn't account for people to whom that *didn't* happen, I had enough cash on hand to make sure it doesn't.
    Spent 30 minutes on the treadmill, 10 on the ... elliptical? ... and walked home. Together with going out this morning on an unsuccessful walk to look for otters, that got me to 10K and a tad over. According to Fitbit, 3.18 miles.

Lilian in Sask - best of luck and will power for your birthday party, and your grandson's.

Kate Kyi - glad the pond scum tasted better nor it looked. :)

3dtammy - welcome! You've done what you need to do to join, aside from signing with your name and home state or town. :)
    For what it's worth, I've been overweight, to one degree or another, since my high-school Fat Wars with my mother, who had fits if I went above 125. In college, I weighed 145 - less than I do now, but still cause for Major Friction. As an adult, I hit 213 a couple years ago, and the docs said "You're just about diabetic. Stop eating white carbs."
    I don't know why it worked, but it did. I was able to go cold turkey on all the candy, chips and such I'd been eating, and to pay more attention to portion size ... and swap white rice for brown, potatoes for sweet potatoes, whole-grain bread for white. But I suspect the candy had more to do w/ it.
    I got from 213 to about 165 without paying a lot of attention. Having stayed at 165 for almost a year, I decided this year (I'm 63) to buckle down. I log all my food and drink, now use a Fitbit to keep track of my exercise, and have stayed within net cals all but a very few days. And today I hit 153.5 - 3.5 from goal. Lowest I've weighed in the 20 or 30 years since I got down to 145 with Weight Watchers.

Peep - I'm still worried about you, but won't add to the pile of advice.
    Yay on the built-in dishwasher!

Penny - yahoo for having fun. :)
    I've bought broccoli rabe at the grocery's deli section, all cooked and everything. :) Sorta floppy.
    And every once in a while you just gotta celebrate. Thirty-seven years and still cuddlin' is one of 'em. :)

Toni - I couldn't comment here on a smartphone, either.

Jannie - have fun at the concert and with your camping and family. :)

Jane Martin - happy anniversary! Hope the block party's fun.

Doglady - I love cherries and just about any kind of berries. I also like some of the Quest nutrition bars and have been known, like Pip/peep, to eat Healthy Choice fudge bars and Fiber One brownie bars.
    Atkins makes a modestly edible peanut butter cup.
    If you can handle it, stick a really good dark chocolate bar in the freezer and allow yourself a square a day. Just figure it into your calories. A friend of mine does this.
    According to this,
    https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/ghirardelli
    16 Ghirardelli bittersweet baking chips are 70 cal
    1 of their flavored squares is about 67 cal
    1 60 pct cacao dark chocolate squre is 50 cal
    1 " " " with caramel is 70 cal

Sylvia - your grilled dinner sounds great. I like those sandwich rounds.

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, just doing a quick check in here. So far I seem to be unable to stay at that 1200 calorie level this week. Creeping up to 1400 and will
    not lose weight that way!
    Made some muffins with homegrown currants and they were old fashioned normal size muffins. Then I put the recipe into MFP and discovered they are calculating them as around 250 calories each! I had two yet thought I was being virtuous by skipping the butter. Hoping my company tomorrow can take care of most of the rest!
    So much for my rare foray into baking.
    Have been enjoying all the gardening stories. I have lots of endive! Any ideas on how to use a lot of endive?
    Went to the public market and got cherries and blueberries to freeze.
    Sorry for all the sick hubbies and friends you all have been writing about. Prayers for everybody.
    Sounds like the MN house adventure is going well. I can vouch for the beauty of MN. Went to Itasca State Park around 35 years ago and there is an area where you can walk across the Mississippi on a plank in about three steps.
    The one DD who only lives 600 miles away is coming for dinner tomorrow. Hope they like currant muffins!
    Betty WNY
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Barbie - How exciting to have visitors to your line dance class. Those are some remarkable ladies who know how to put a positive spin on a busy weekend. Congrats!

Katla (and everyone who assisted) - thanks for the message. Michele - Hugs for you and Vince.

Allison - Hugs ! ! !

Cheri - Our Hotel was in Buffalo Grove. The Bowling Centers were in Addison, Orland Park, and River Grove. I lived in Des Plaines for the first 6 years of my life, then Palatine for the next 12 until I went to College in Winona MN. We didn't have time to do more than walk around Woodfield Mall for a few hours, but it was fun to recognize some of the landmarks from my childhood.

Janet - I told DH to put the chips in the top cupboard above the fridge, because I can't reach that high, I can't see in a closed cupboard, and I'm in no position to be climbing on chairs right now. I still have a few bags of lentil chips, and I will do my best to maintain my won'tpower because of all of you. // The ballgame was unbearably hot, so I spent most of the time sitting on a blanket on a hill under a tree. DS only had to keep the catchers' gear on for 3 innings, so that made him happy. Today we were at the HomeRun Derby, but it got cancelled mid-way because of the storm (tornados about 40 miles south of us, but only thunderstorms here). Since it is sunny and still 80 degrees, DS will have the opportunity to make money cutting grass again next week.

Cory - Hugs !

Jane - Happy Anniversary

Doglady - I like almost any fruits, or agave nectar in a mug of raspberry tea before bed, plus all the fiber1 bars. Or the tofu/banana/cocoa concoction someone mentioned in this thread awhile ago.

If I use Pandora while in the Fitness Center, how will it NOT use my data? I don't see a button to download my favorite songs onto my phone, and DH just keeps doing everything for me instead of teaching me what to do. For now I will just keep touching the thumbs up and hope it works for me while I work out or walk or such.

Today I put on a dressy tank top that I ordered a few years ago, and it is just a tad snug around the waist, but does not look too tight. Big nsv for me. Since my back is getting better (neck still cramps, but that's different muscles) I will start my planks again today. I was hoping to go to the Fitness Center with DS and DH, but it just was not an option due to the storm. I will probably invade my Dad and ride his bike today.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Jane Happy Anniversary!

We lost our internet connection today because of a bad storm last night. Sending this from a local restaurant.

Went on another garden tour with a friend. I always pick up something new to try and it is just fun to see what others do to create their gardens. It also made for a nice break. These were gardens created by Master Gardeners in Dakota County. You could hear their passion in voices and see it in there gardens. Fun day!

:heart: MNMargaret