Peanuts/Almonds.. What's Your Opinion?

SoUnaware
SoUnaware Posts: 85 Member
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
I love peanuts :D
I eat one unsalted serving every other day (1/2 of peanuts + 1/2 of almonds), which totals in 3 servings a weak. (I don't eat peanuts on my cheat day)
This makes me very sad on my no-peanuts days.

I read somewhere that you should have about 3 servings a week.

What do you all think?

Also, where does Peanut Butter fall in?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I have trouble losing weight when I eat nuts (I LOVE them). Technically, peanuts aren't nuts. They're legumes. I know none of this is helping, LOL. Eat some macadamias. Those are like CRACK!
    Oh and I better not tell you about Peanut Butter & Co's stuff.
    Oops.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    I found nuts to be an extremely important part of my weight loss plan. Almonds were better than peanuts in that I could eat more for the same calories.

The best nuts, I think, are pistachios. You can eat more than just about any other nut and they are full of good things for you.

Peanut butter is okay, but it has lots of additives unless you get the kind that is just ground peanuts and I don't like the taste of that.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Well, even though they are high in calories they have AMAZING nutritional benefits!

I find that even thought I get to eat less of them, it is a food that makes me feel satisfied. So I'm not looking for something else later.

The key is portion control. (I've got some tiny 1 oz condiment cups that I fill up with nuts so that The whole jar doesn't taunt me and call my name. )

So as long as your tracking and staying within your calorie range. you should be okay.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    There's nothing but good things in them. Natural PB is also beneficial for anyone on a weight loss plan. As with anything, moderation is the key. A serving every other day is great. PB falls under the category of moderate consumption as well. You can add it to protein shakes, oatmeal, apple slices, a slice of wheat toast, peanut buttah...and Bah-NAH-nah sandwich... You're fine with whatever you're doing.
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Love almonds. They provide more nutrients than peanuts. I love peanut butter as well however it's too fattening (calorie dense) so I have it sparingly.

I have a bag of 100 calorie Almonds everyday. Never miss a day!
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    I love nuts ! I eat them when I need to get my calories up for the day. We shouldn't be afraid of nuts they have protein in them too and protien is good for builing muscle which helps us burn more fat. I tried pistachio's for the first time a couple of weeks ago .. yummy !!
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Eating an ounce of almonds each day can significantly reduce your LDL ("bad") cholesterol, says the American Heart Association. Almonds, and nuts in general, are also good sources of protein, carbohydrates and a variety of vitamins and minerals.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Nuts are a great source of fats and nutrients that your body needs. But, they are full of calories, and it's easy to eat lots. I eat nuts every day, and just work that into my cal. for the day. I usu. stick with almonds or walnuts.

Like Dr.BorkBork said, peanuts technically aren't nuts, they're legumes, and the nutrional profile/how they react in your body etc is different than tree nuts. But as long as you can work them into your daily plan, they're great, no matter what you like. Much better for you than chips, or whatever else you might want to eat!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    I think as long as you can fit the calories into your calorie allowance they are good! I have a tablespoon of natural peanut or almond butter on my banana for breakfast or a snack at least 4 days a week. Good stuff!
  • amberlilies
    amberlilies Posts: 41 Member
    i know regular (tastier) peanut butter has added sugar and hydrogenated oils, so i try to avoid it. the natural peanut butter just doesn't taste good (to me) so i don't tend to eat it. however, LOVE me a handful of almonds, especially at work where i'm always running and short on time. nutritionally, almonds and walnuts are powerhouses of antioxidants and good fats, but walnuts pack a heavy calorie punch, so I have to be careful with them.

i think if you like your peanut snack, it sounds healthy enough to me.
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    If you are eating almonds,you should try Blue Diamond Wasabi and soy sauce almonds. Seriously the best thing in the world. They are amazing!
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    every morning, i use a whole wheat tortilla, add some peanut butter and chop up some bananas. then i fold it in half and eat it! i do this every morning, but i dont use 1 serving everymorning. 1 serving of peanut butter is 2 tbsp. i use about 2 tsp every morning so that helps :) i also heard its really good to eat almonds because theyre fat burners!
  • I'm a HUGE fan of almonds and eat a serving fairly often. I like walnuts a bit less but hear so many great things about them that I try to eat those as well.
  • biznurse
    biznurse Posts: 81 Member
    I found nuts to be an extremely important part of my weight loss plan. Almonds were better than peanuts in that I could eat more for the same calories.

We learned that amonds are MUCH healthier for us! LOVE the flavor too! Linda/RN
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I don't lose weight when I eat nuts. Too high in calories for how filling they are IMO.

I agree macadamias are like crack, though. I have had to ban myself from buying them.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I love peanuts :D
    I eat one unsalted serving every other day (1/2 of peanuts + 1/2 of almonds), which totals in 3 servings a weak. (I don't eat peanuts on my cheat day)
    This makes me very sad on my no-peanuts days.

I read somewhere that you should have about 3 servings a week.

What do you all think?

Also, where does Peanut Butter fall in?

I have a serving of nuts or nut butter nearly every day. It's usually almonds, pistachios or almond butter for me, but I do have peanut butter on occasion as well.

Peanut butter or any nut butter isjust fine if you buy the type that is either just ground nuts or ground nuts and salt. Stay away from the ones with lots of added sugars and fats.
  • Omoge25
    Omoge25 Posts: 34 Member
    I am addicted to Almonds! Once I start, I cannot stop...I have to be very careful around them. Lol
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Well, even though they are high in calories they have AMAZING nutritional benefits!

I find that even thought I get to eat less of them, it is a food that makes me feel satisfied. So I'm not looking for something else later.

The key is portion control. (I've got some tiny 1 oz condiment cups that I fill up with nuts so that The whole jar doesn't taunt me and call my name. )

So as long as your tracking and staying within your calorie range. you should be okay.

As soon as I buy nuts, I take the container right over to my food scale and weigh out 1 ounce portions which I put in the 'snack-size' ziploc bags. So whenever I want a snack, they're already measured and ready to go!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    I have trouble losing weight when I eat nuts (I LOVE them). Technically, peanuts aren't nuts. They're legumes. I know none of this is helping, LOL. Eat some macadamias. Those are like CRACK!
    Oh and I better not tell you about Peanut Butter & Co's stuff.
    Oops.
    LOL I always laugh at this. Technically almonds aren't nut either. The are drudes(SP?) Basically they are in the same family as coconuts. Anyway I eat a handful of almonds (12-14) as a snack. I also use almond butter that is nothing but purred almonds in my protein shakes. I only eat macadamias on occasion. They are my favorite nut and really high in fat. I also eat pistachios occasionally as well.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member

Yes! into little ziplock snack bags. I sometimes add a few dried cranberries as well.

As soon as I buy nuts, I take the container right over to my food scale and weigh out 1 ounce portions which I put in the 'snack-size' ziploc bags. So whenever I want a snack, they're already measured and ready to go!
This discussion has been closed.