post workout whey with carbs or not?

Options
poonamsonii
poonamsonii Posts: 64 Member
Ok so finally i have decided to try whey after workout...because even after doing 20 sessions of only upper body i cant see any differnce in my arms and all...i used to have chocolate milk post workout but failed to see any difference..so going to take whey protein after workout...but i asked my trainer and she told me to consume only protein...and no carbs like banana and all...but i have often read u need protein and carbs post weight training..so confused ...pls let me know

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There are studies around showing carbs don't add anything - the availability of amino acids from the protein is the important thing, insulin response to protein might help.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice is just another carb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamine
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It is important to get both protein and carbs post workout. When you work out, you are depleting your glycogen stores in your muscles. In order to refuel that, you need carbs, specifically fast absorbing carbs. I actually eat a few Rice Krispie Treats. Others use pixie sticks, gummy bears, etc. If you think I'm crazy... do more research and you'll find it's true. The goal is about 30-50g of fast acting carbs, and about 25g protein post workout.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Ok so finally i have decided to try whey after workout...because even after doing 20 sessions of only upper body i cant see any differnce in my arms and all...i used to have chocolate milk post workout but failed to see any difference..so going to take whey protein after workout...but i asked my trainer and she told me to consume only protein...and no carbs like banana and all...but i have often read u need protein and carbs post weight training..so confused ...pls let me know

Ummm, what are your goal?
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Ummm, what are your goal?

pure fat loss

Then all it comes down to is calorie intake. You need a decent amount of protein to keep the muscle you have but really don't get hung up on the small details.

You can have carbs including bananas and still lose weight. Have what you enjoy the most as long as you are hitting your protein minimum.

How much are you trying to lose and why only upper body session - or are you doing Lower body as well and are just wanting to lose weight from your arms more?

Also what time period are those 20 sessions over?
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    craigheon wrote: »
    It is important to get both protein and carbs post workout. When you work out, you are depleting your glycogen stores in your muscles. In order to refuel that, you need carbs, specifically fast absorbing carbs. I actually eat a few Rice Krispie Treats. Others use pixie sticks, gummy bears, etc. If you think I'm crazy... do more research and you'll find it's true. The goal is about 30-50g of fast acting carbs, and about 25g protein post workout.

That's a meal for someone who is trying to lose weight.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ok...

That's a meal for someone who is trying to lose weight.

So what shall i do...mix my whey with juice???pls reply

It depends on how many calories you want to use on the whey. Mixing it with milk will provide enough carbs - you don't need huge amounts immediately afterward.

Honestly none of this will affect the weightloss you are looking for. - that comes down to calories in/calories out.

How much weight are you looking to lose?
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    OP, listen to the @Iron_Feline. For weight loss it's all about the calories.

Weight training will help you minimize muscle loss during your weight loss, so you lose more fat than muscle. Muscle mass gains during weight loss are usually minimal, but you can gain strength and your muscles will feel bigger because of the pump. How much you retain or gain is dependent on the load you put on the muscles. Protein is required for muscle repair but you don't need a supplement to accomplish this. If you chose to supplement, you can have it with water or milk, really doesn't matter.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

A lifting session does not deplete your glycogen stores.

• Iron_Feline
    Options
    Are you only doing upper body?
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    It's all about calories for fat loss.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    carbs+ protein. Carbs are your friend, not your enemy!