Fitbit

Options
Does anyone on here use a fitbit device? I've just got one and wondered how it worked with this app. I've set it up with all other map my run ect apps and connected those to this one, hope that makes sense lol. Just wanted to know how it works ect?? Thanks

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I would sync MapMy with Fitbit, rather than with MFP. It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I unlinked fitbit and MFP because they wouldn't match up even though the setting were the same and it made my brain hurt. I basically just use fitbit to keep me moving, but I won't eat how many calories it recommends because it's a lot higher than here.
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit synced with MFP - it means that I can eat more on active days, and keep my calories in check on slower days. I do have my activity level set to "Sedentary" on MFP, and ONLY log on MFP, using the FitBit through MFP only. Let me know if you want a hand, although I haven't eve linked my FB or MFP to other apps.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Fitbit to me is a fancy pedometer that helps me move more by joining challenges,etc on there. I do sync it to mfp, but I don't follow the calories it says I burn, I go by myfitnesspals goals. I also use a polar ft4 to track my actual workouts instead of using the activity tracker on the fitbit.
  • editorgrrl
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I unlinked fitbit and MFP because they wouldn't match up even though the setting were the same and it made my brain hurt. I basically just use fitbit to keep me moving, but I won't eat how many calories it recommends because it's a lot higher than here.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE, the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, eating back your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.

ONLY log on MFP, using the FitBit through MFP only.

No need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

If you want your Fitbit exercise to appear in your feed, post a status update. That way you get the best of both worlds—an accurate burn + likes.
  • antmcd13
    antmcd13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    OK so firstly thankyou all for the advice, much appreciated. This is new to me so alot to take in. I used to use a Samsung gear and Samsung health app along with a weigh watchers app which is very different.

So basically, I think I will track my food and keep within my calorie goal using mfp, then just use fitbit to track exercise? I'm trying nor to use my ' earned calories ' from exercise anyway as I think exercising to eat more is a bit silly, exercising to loose pounds, not so I can 3at more.

Hope I have this right?

I just not sure in this -

If I go for a run, walk or hike, do I start up and use map my walk ect? Or just let my fitbit do its thing?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    antmcd13 wrote: »
    If I go for a run, walk or hike, do I start up and use map my walk ect? Or just let my fitbit do its thing?

Connect MapMy to Fitbit (not MFP) and Fitbit to MFP, then use MapMy as usual. It will send your info to Fitbit. Fitbit will send your TDEE to MFP. And MFP will adjust your calorie goal.

Eat back your adjustments. Do not log exercise in MFP.
  • antmcd13
    antmcd13 Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OK i think I get that. Thanks. I was under the impression fitbit would send my info to map my run ect and that would then send it to mfp.