Hate seeing daily fluctuations?

2»

Replies

• fraserkr
    fraserkr Posts: 110 Member
    I weigh daily for sake of curiosity. Through the process I've learned how different ratios of carbs/fats/proteins influence my weight. Actually it's no longer frustrating seeing those extra pounds. It's either the case of ''carb binge'' the day before or the coming period. I can easily drop that water weight by adjusting carb intake. It took me some time of self experimenting but in long term it helps a lot to be able to tweak around the macros in order to see the required number on the scale and don't become paranoid over 2 pounds ''weight gain''.Every month I note the lowest dip shown on the scale and this is what I work around. I even weigh before and after workout - seeing one pound less on the scale after one hour of running is very rewarding but at the same time it shows the impact of water weight on the scale numbers.
    I'm not a ''low carber'', quite the opposite - i love pasta, grains and potatoes and i tend to eat too much of them, thus for me going easy on carbs means not overeating rather then going low carb in long term. Carbs are known for their high water retention properties hence switching off carbs for a few days can help dealing with that pesky extra two pounds gained over night.

Hi @arachnofobia7, what macronutrient ratios have you found to work best for you? I keep experimenting with different ratios and have yet to decide what to settle upon. I do know that more than 20% of protein seems difficult for me to consume on a daily basis.
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Hi there @fraserkr, I can't really give you any specific numbers. I focus on calories and since my daily allowance is in region of 1400 I go by ''the less calories the better'' rule. My problem partially was in portion control so in order to get the volume I eat lots of veggies, I can go days with no meat to save on calories, instead I get my proteins from dairy - be it yoghurt, kefir, buttermilk, curd cheese. Occasionally I'd have some beans/lentils. As I've mentioned, carbs for me proved to be the real game changer so if I want to see progress on the scale I lower them as much as I can. In this context I'm not consistent in terms of macronutrient ratio. Doing so would set limits to what I eat (been there, done that, not sustainable in long term) therefore I rather watch the calories and adjust the macros as I go along with huge stress on carbs. BTW where is that 20% protein intake coming from ?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Patttience wrote: »
    Well i hope you don't quit next time you hit a plateau. Plateaus, i've discovered are par for the course.

yup. its not uncommon for me not to log a loss for two weeks at a time. weight loss is not a game for quitters.....

shoot, just recently i had 3 weeks of no loss. no biggie. i was doing everything i should - food, exercise, general habits.... my body just decided to hold steady for a bit.
  • robynmoosehead
    robynmoosehead Posts: 66 Member
    Patttience wrote: »
    Well i hope you don't quit next time you hit a plateau. Plateaus, i've discovered are par for the course.

yup. its not uncommon for me not to log a loss for two weeks at a time. weight loss is not a game for quitters.....

shoot, just recently i had 3 weeks of no loss. no biggie. i was doing everything i should - food, exercise, general habits.... my body just decided to hold steady for a bit.

I think I'm being a lot more realistic this time round. I did great last time. Lost two and a half stone then put back on a stone during the down time. This approach should keep me on the straight and narrow.

It's very interesting to see how different methods work for different people
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    they don't bother me...I understand them...I know what causes them...they are completely natural...and my scale is not the be all and end all. people obsess way to much about some arbitrary number that is made up of numerous things besides body fat.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    I like weighing every day and the fluctuations provide instant feedback regarding the previous day's food choices and activities. I use Libra and love the smoothing and trend analysis.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    I weigh myself daily. the fluctuations motivate me :-) if I get on the scale in the morning and its the same or more than the day before I just push myself harder to see the number drop..
  • robynmoosehead
    robynmoosehead Posts: 66 Member
    I like weighing every day and the fluctuations provide instant feedback regarding the previous day's food choices and activities. I use Libra and love the smoothing and trend analysis.

I never even thought about that aspect of it! Would be very interesting to see how a high/low carb day shows itself on the scale the next day. Same goes in relation to whether or not I had a glass of wine or the amount of water I drank.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I've also heard libra recommended
    I use trendweight.com (need a fitbit/withings scale or set up a free fitbit.com account and link it to MFP) automatically updates from MFP weights and the info is just there when you need it
    Great graphs
    And, of course, www.weightgrapher.com which allows for manual input (plus automatic scale and fitbit integration)
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    I weigh every day. I used to get really moody when my weight stayed the sane or went up. Now, 5 months in, I'm more interested in the number than I am bothered by any movement. I was at my lowest weight 2 days ago. Now, over the past 2 days, I "gained" almost 2 pounds. I know that I didn't gain two real pounds. I ate within my calorie limits, but the food had more sodium. I've got some water in there...

I will weigh frequently for the rest of my life so I never have to lose this much again.
  • fraserkr
    fraserkr Posts: 110 Member
    ... BTW where is that 20% protein intake coming from ?
    @arachnofobia7 I just now saw your reply of almost 1 year ago. I think you are asking me, what is the source of the recommendation to get 20% of calories from protein? that's just the 50/30/20 (carb/fat/protein) that MFP suggests as 'standard'. if you are asking me what protein sources I include in my diet, it's mostly poultry (chicken, turkey), fish/shellfish, dairy (yogurt, cottage cheese, hard cheese) and protein bars.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    I weigh myself every day. I've seen a pattern. Official weigh in is Sunday. Monday is always 2-3 pounds less. The number goes back up to the Sunday weight throughout the week. Then it starts falling again on the weekend and the Sunday weigh in is pretty close to what Monday's weight was for a net loss for the week of 2-3 pounds. I don't really get it...