Eating pre- and post workout

Options
Hiya, sorry if this has been asked before but just a general question !

Im joining the gym on Monday and wondered what was the best way to go about eating before and afterwards. Does it make sense to eat carbs beforehand ( obviously not straight before !) and protein after or is there no real objective ??

Ive lost a fair amount of weight since last August, nearly 4 stone, so now I want to tone up and hopefully get a bit of muscle definition. I go to 3 gym classes a week plus home workout every day so just wanted the advice on the right way to eat, as it were !

Thanks everyone :) xx

Replies

• SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Eating before or after the gym is totally personal preference. If you perform better at the gym eating before, then do it. If you don't like the feeling of training on a full stomach, eat after. Meal timing does not matter. Get your calories/macros in throughout the course of the day.
  • funkylemur
    funkylemur Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    ok brilliant thanks very much, I'd rather eat afterwards so I was just checking that was ok !
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Eating before or after the gym is totally personal preference. If you perform better at the gym eating before, then do it. If you don't like the feeling of training on a full stomach, eat after. Meal timing does not matter. Get your calories/macros in throughout the course of the day.

Well, let's be technically correct. Meal timing does matter, just not much.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For me, light carbs pre work out, then easy to digest protein and carbs post workout. This is the most common recommendation.

I eat a mini bagel with some strawberry preserves and coffee pre workout. Protein shake with banana and honey post workout.

R
  • taraskylit
    taraskylit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.
    Try out a few things to see what suits your needs.
    I personally like a coffee and mandarin pre workout and then post workout is nothing for a few hours till dinner.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

For OP's context, it doesn't matter at all.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    cajuntank wrote: »

For OP's context, it doesn't matter at all.

That's a specious statement. Just because "you" think it does not matter within the context of the OP's statements, does not change the evidence that it does imperically matter to a small degree, thus the reasoning for my original statement.