low carb diet to lose the remaining fat

Options
Hi everyone i was dieting for like 2 months from april to starting june then i stopped, i think i have to lose 9 lb to get visible abs, when i was dieting the last 2 weeks of that 2 months diet i was losing very little, so i was bored of it and i stopped, i want to eat like 50 g of carbs and the remaining calories in proteins and fat, i wanted to ask is it ok to lose fat fast then when i get where i want i start re-eating gradually carbs, and do you think is it possible in like 3 weeks? Thank you

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not in 3 weeks. No reason to eat low carbs, just eat at a deficit, preferably creating a deficit through both diet and exercise.

Also, are you resistance training? If not, you won't have very impressive abs when you get there, unless you have amazing genetics.
  • timo9627
    timo9627 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    well i'm not sure if i do a balanced diet like i did it will work, i read somewhere that when you have to lose only last lb it's useful to do a low carb, anyway i'm going at gym for like 4 months so i think if i get some fat off there will be some abs visible
  • timo9627
    timo9627 Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    [double-post]
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    timo9627 wrote: »
    well i'm not sure if i do a balanced diet like i did it will work, i read somewhere that when you have to lose only last lb it's useful to do a low carb, anyway i'm going at gym for like 4 months so i think if i get some fat off there will be some abs visible
    There really isn't any truth in that. You can lose the last few lbs the exact same way you lost the first few, calorie deficit. If you aren't losing weight over the long run, there is one and one reason only, you are not in a deficit. You need to either eat less, move more, or both. The amount of carbs you eat has no effect on this.

• abiparvaneh98
    abiparvaneh98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Best diet that I know for weight loss is by doing this

Eat low carbs, low fat, medium-high protein because when you exercise your body uses carbs as an energy source so if you have low carbs it will burn all the carbs then fat. Having low carbs everyday is very bad and unhealthy so what I would recommend is start on a Monday and for Monday and Tuesday do a carb overload and them Wednesday no carbs, Thursday and Friday carb overload and Saturday no carbs, so basically 2 days carbs, 1 day no carbs so just repeat that. Also while you do this you have to go and workout so do high intensity workouts which requires more energy, like do weights with higher reps (20-30) and for cardio don't just jog for 10 minutes do this, Sprint as long as you can then have a 30 sec walk then Sprint as long as you can and have a 30 sec walk, this Is proven a lot more effective for weightloss rather than jogging. If you do this you will see results and you can see tremendous results and be like wtf? But don't forget a lot of it will be water weight.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

Eat low carbs, low fat, medium-high protein because when you exercise your body uses carbs as an energy source so if you have low carbs it will burn all the carbs then fat. Having low carbs everyday is very bad and unhealthy so what I would recommend is start on a Monday and for Monday and Tuesday do a carb overload and them Wednesday no carbs, Thursday and Friday carb overload and Saturday no carbs, so basically 2 days carbs, 1 day no carbs so just repeat that. Also while you do this you have to go and workout so do high intensity workouts which requires more energy, like do weights with higher reps (20-30) and for cardio don't just jog for 10 minutes do this, Sprint as long as you can then have a 30 sec walk then Sprint as long as you can and have a 30 sec walk, this Is proven a lot more effective for weightloss rather than jogging. If you do this you will see results and you can see tremendous results and be like wtf? But don't forget a lot of it will be water weight.

That sounds complicated as ****. Why not just eat in a deficit?

High rep weight work? Not gonna help

HIIT - I will agree with you there.
  • vismal
    Options

Totally unnecessary and in no way burns any greater fat than eating moderate carb, moderate fat, and moderate protein beyond the calorie deficit it creates.
  • 115Everest
    115Everest Posts: 31 Member
    Options

That sounds complicated as ****. Why not just eat in a deficit?

High rep weight work? Not gonna help

HIIT - I will agree with you there.

Ditto galgenstrick's post.

• czymom123
    czymom123 Posts: 65 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Low carbing is a great way to change up your diet and lose those last pounds. Why not try it out for a couple weeks and see how you do?
  • Chocothundathighs
    Chocothundathighs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb helps lose water weight in the short term. If you go back to eating high carbs you will just regain all the water weight you lost. Unless you plan on making it a lifestyle, stick with calorie counting and exercise.

Unless the OP is working out, rotating carbs is pointless and will get you nowhere. Eating low carb is also not unhealthy, it has been scientifically proven...google it. It is only unhealthy when you do not control the amount of fat you consume. Most low carbers will do low calorie, weigh their meals, and will not eat sugar.
  • galgenstrick
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Eating low carb helps lose water weight in the short term. If you go back to eating high carbs you will just regain all the water weight you lost. Unless you plan on making it a lifestyle, stick with calorie counting and exercise.

Unless the OP is working out, rotating carbs is pointless and will get you nowhere. Eating low carb is also not unhealthy, it has been scientifically proven...google it. It is only unhealthy when you do not control the amount of fat you consume. Most low carbers will do low calorie, weigh their meals, and will not eat sugar.

In addition to this, the water loss is a result of a loss of glycogen in the muscles. Glycogen fuels your workouts, so eating low carb will likely make your gym performance and energy drop. Definitely not ideal for someone who wants visible abs.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    vismal wrote: »

Totally unnecessary and in no way burns any greater fat than eating moderate carb, moderate fat, and moderate protein beyond the calorie deficit it creates.

It sounds a lot like Lyle's "Ultimate Diet", which is pretty sound, medically. Done right, it minimizes LBM loss while maximizing caloric deficit, so (again, if done right, which is NOT EASY) it's about as fast as you can drop weight without going all-out PSMF.

But most people can't do it right...this is like 10x harder than "eating in moderation", which most people already fail at...
  • vismal
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

It sounds a lot like Lyle's "Ultimate Diet", which is pretty sound, medically. Done right, it minimizes LBM loss while maximizing caloric deficit, so (again, if done right, which is NOT EASY) it's about as fast as you can drop weight without going all-out PSMF.

But most people can't do it right...this is like 10x harder than "eating in moderation", which most people already fail at...
    This is not really how UD2.0 is setup. UD 2.0 is sound but 95% of people who attempt it will fail. Most of them will not even be able to complete the depletion workouts as needed. Also, Lyle's program isn't 2 days high carb, 1 day low. Furthermore, UD 2.0 was not intended for getting off the last bits of fat. It was more written as a recomp diet which is not what the OP was hoping to accomplish. All the OP needs to do is track calories and ensure a deficit is present.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

In addition to this, the water loss is a result of a loss of glycogen in the muscles. Glycogen fuels your workouts, so eating low carb will likely make your gym performance and energy drop. Definitely not ideal for someone who wants visible abs.

Your gym performance only suffers UNTIL you're fat-adapted. Once one is fat-adapted, they can workout like normal.

• galgenstrick
    Options

Your gym performance only suffers UNTIL you're fat-adapted. Once one is fat-adapted, they can workout like normal.

And there has been research comparing these two states? I find that highly doubtful, but am open to you changing my mind.
  • vismal
    Options

And there has been research comparing these two states? I find that highly doubtful, but am open to you changing my mind.
    You certainly can train efficiently on no carbs. As to whether or not you train as efficiently as with carbs, I highly doubt there is any decent research comparing the two. My inclination would be that the difference isn't huge but probably favors carbs. Regardless, going low carb does not help with fat loss unless eating low carb in some way helps you create a bigger calorie deficit or aids in adherence to your diet. For that reason, when applied to the OP's situation, the argument is somewhat irrelevant.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

You certainly can train efficiently on no carbs. As to whether or not you train as efficiently as with carbs, I highly doubt there is any decent research comparing the two. My inclination would be that the difference isn't huge but probably favors carbs. Regardless, going low carb does not help with fat loss unless eating low carb in some way helps you create a bigger calorie deficit or aids in adherence to your diet. For that reason, when applied to the OP's situation, the argument is somewhat irrelevant.

Agree completely. :smile:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

There isn't much research on this kind of thing, but I can only speak for myself. The first couple of weeks when I went low carb, my workouts did suffer a lot. However, once I got fat-adapted, I was able to work out like normal. Still can. Yes, it's anecdotal, but I have been eating low carb for two years now and can still work out like normal. Lately I have been struggling, but I attribute that to the humidity more than anything.
  • viafire
    viafire Posts: 7 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That's a common cutting diet practice. Arnold Schwarzenegger would usually only allow himself a salad a day for carbs a few weeks prior to his shows. 2 grams protein per pound body weight, 1/2 gram fat per pound and 0 carbs. 30-45 min fasting cardio and maintain lifting program. You will lose a little muscle mass, but that's standard. Don't go more than about 2 months on this.