Supplements?

Options
I've been lifting on a regular basis for a month now, and am close to my goal weight. I'm considering getting some supplements for my lifting.

I've been researching pre-workouts and BCAAs. Im worried that pre-workouts will give me anxiety and make me feel jittery.

Can any experience lifters give me some advice on what they use and how it has helped?

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The only supplements that will help, and we are only talking about at most 5% compared to your diet, will be possibly Creatine, caffeine, and supplemental protein (if you are not getting enough). Thought there was more, huh?

Edit: a case can be made for beta-alanine if you are consistently doing 15 rep sets or more.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Promera Con-Cret for creatine (HCL) source before workout. Creatine Hydrochloride (HCL) is 20% of the dosage rate of Monohydrate, will not leave you bloated and does not require cycling on & off.

Glutamine, BCAA, Protein post workout, Glutamine helps a lot in your recovery and reducing muscle soreness.
    DCAA & Protein for obvious reasons.

A new pre-workout you might consider is Promera Peak 400. It's fairly new and I have not seen it offered by anyone else yet. A dose consists of 400ui of ATP. It's very subtle but I noticed results the first day I used it. It was as if my body had enough reserve left to keep up with my willpower. That equated to a 30% increase in reps compared to the previous time I did that workout.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    The only supplements that will help, and we are only talking about at most 5% compared to your diet, will be possibly Creatine, caffeine, and supplemental protein (if you are not getting enough). Thought there was more, huh?

I agree with this. No need to take a million different supplements.

Also spend an hour or two on http://examine.com and do some research on supplements you're curious about.
  • greg88rosen
    greg88rosen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    First timers should start out slow
    Look into (amino energy)
    This is low in caffeine, no nitric oxide , bcaas and has b vitamins for additional energy
    Obviously you can up the serving as you please but this would be a good stepping stone
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    First timers should start out slow
    Look into (amino energy)
    This is low in caffeine, no nitric oxide , bcaas and has b vitamins for additional energy
    Obviously you can up the serving as you please but this would be a good stepping stone

It's like 160mg of caffeine isn't it? The ON Ami.N.O energy stuff?

It looked good, but I wasn't really wanting the caffeine so I got my BCAA's from Bulk Powder.

OP, supplements aren't necessary at all. However, if you're going to buy them;
    • BCAA's (idk what the hype is about them, so I bought them anyways)
    • Creatine Monohydrate - there are other variants like Creatine Gluconate etc
    • Pre workout, not really needed unless you're needing a pick up
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

Edit: a case can be made for beta-alanine if you are consistently doing 15 rep sets or more.

All of this.

Also, if you train fasted I would add 5g of Leucine or 10g of BCAA before your workout.