Dieting Beginner- HELP!

Options
I'll get into the details quickly-

I'm an 18 year old female, 164cm and 54-55kg. I think my BMI is around 20.

I've started counting calories on MFP (1200-1400 cals per day) to get to 50kg, my goal weight.

I started at 55kg around three weeks ago, but I haven't been able to lose any significant weight.

I eat around 1200-1400 cals a day or less for five days during the week (Mon-Fri) then I don't count calories on the weekend (I eat around 1600-2000).

The first couple weeks I lost weight to around 53kg, but after a weekend of no counting I gained back to 54kg and have been MAINTAINING on 1200 calories only!

My BMR alone should be at least 1300, but I'm maintaining on 1200, and gaining on around 1600 which should be around my maintaining calories.

I used to be able to lose weight easily last year (I lost weight to 50kg, but gained it all back) on around 1400-1500 calories- no exercise, just counting.

What could be the problem here? I'll provide more information if necessary. Please help! Could my metabolism have slowed down? Do you know why I'm gaining on such low calories?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    The problem is probably that you aren't counting calories on weekends. You're most likely eating more than you think on those days.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    You're negating your deficit over the weekend. Stop doing that and you'll lose weight.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    If you don't count kcal over the weekend, how do you know it's 1600-2000? Log your weekends just keep them at or below maintence!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Well first of all, your weight is already healthy, and the weight you're trying to get to is borderline underweight. So I wouldn't necessarily recommend losing more weight at this point, it could be unhealthy for you. If you don't like the way you look, body recomposition might be a better option (eat at maintenance or a very small deficit, and focus on strength training over cardio). You can really transform the way you look without losing any weight.

That said, my guess is you're not logging accurately. I hate myself for saying this (because I fought doing it for so long), but: get a food scale. Weigh what you eat so you know you are reporting the correct amounts. A lot of people who think they are eating 1200 are actually eating a lot more. And, like others said, count on weekends! Consistency is key, if you're not logging on weekends you could be missing something big.

Finally I would advise not eating so little; you should never eat below your BMR. If your BMR is 1300 you should be eating at least that, maybe 1400, and eat back your exercise calories.

• ttttyyyy1
    ttttyyyy1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How do I raise my maintenance calories to what it should be? It definitely can't be 1200, but that's what I'm maintaining with.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight! If you think you need to then you are not thinking straight.

Are you skinny fat? IE can you pinch a couple of inches?

If so look to read about re-comping not weight loss. It will pull your shape in whilst eating more.
  • Chocothundathighs
    Chocothundathighs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would stop splurging on the weekends and eat more fulfilling foods. Stop eating prepackaged foods and start shopping for whole foods. Like someone mentioned, if you are really serious about losing weight then invest in a food scale. Serious dieters DO NOT have cheat days, eat foods that are healthy but still provide satisfaction.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ttttyyyy1 wrote: »
    How do I raise my maintenance calories to what it should be? It definitely can't be 1200, but that's what I'm maintaining with.

I doubt you are maintaining on 1200. Buy a digital food scale, weigh absolutely everything you eat so you're sure of your intake. You are probably eating more than you think you are.

Also, got to second the above. You're already a healthy weight. Start a progressive lifting program if you don't like the way you look.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would stop splurging on the weekends and eat more fulfilling foods. Stop eating prepackaged foods and start shopping for whole foods. Like someone mentioned, if you are really serious about losing weight then invest in a food scale. Serious dieters DO NOT have cheat days, eat foods that are healthy but still provide satisfaction.

She can eat whatever she likes, as long as she maintains a caloric deficit she will lose weight (which OP you don't need to do). Plenty of people fit "cheat" days or meals in and still lose weight. I don't agree with the mentality of "cheating" but it is perfectly possible to fit splurges into your weekly goal. If I have a weekend off I eat less Monday to Friday so I can treat myself at the weekend. It's all logged and I still lose.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    ttttyyyy1 wrote: »

It's highly unlikely that you are actually maintaining on 1200. You are eating more than you think, either because you aren't weighing/measuring your food properly or because you aren't counting on weekends, or some combination of both.

You can put your stats into this calculator to see what your maintenance calories should be:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :smiley:

Are you weighing your solid foods and using measuring cups with your solid food? Making sure your logging is really tight can help you see how much you're eating. I doubt your metabolism has slowed down, it's more likely you're eating more than you think.

To resist the urge to splurge, work those foods into your meal planning. Unless you plan on giving them up forever, you need to find a way to have them in your daily diet. This is more of a lifestyle change than a temporary diet.

I have "cheat" meals and eat "unhealthy" foods sometimes. I just log it all. If I feel I've overindulged, then I'm a little tighter the next day(s). I just try to find balance and not be too hard on myself.

How'd you land on your goal weight? Depending on your height, it could be underweight if your BMI is already 20. Is your concern what you weigh or how you look? Incorporating a little weight training could give you the results you want to see.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You can't NOT count and then claim counting ... or even maintaining any Known Calories when you DON'T KNOW, right?

• biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You are losing weight super slow or not at all because you are already at you ideal weight. Your body does not want to give up more weight unless you are starving.
  • ttttyyyy1
    ttttyyyy1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input- I've decided to try to eat my supposed maintenance cals of 1500-1600 while counting every day for a week or two and see how it goes.

Perhaps I've been focusing too much on the numbers and not the physical progress. Like some of the posters have said, maybe I should work on body composition more, as that's the reason I've been wanting to lose weight.

Thanks so much! Time to make a different thread on getting started with strength training and body recomposition.