Multivitamin and Nausea

Options
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to see if anyone else experiences this- I take One A Day Weight Smart and find it really does help curb certain cravings in addition to contributing to my overall general health.

BUT

I find that usually when I take it, I experience mild nausea about 10 minutes after taking it, and it lasts for about 15/20 mins...after that it passes, and I'm fine.

Does anyone else experience this, or know why this happens? Is there too much of any one vitamin that is in that particular vitamin?

Replies

• haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    be sure not to take it on an empy stomach and with LOTS of water!!
  • Seginns
    Seginns Posts: 39
    Options
    I get nauseous with any vitamin that contains large amounts of vitamin C, especially if I take it on an empty stomach.
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    I feel sick when I take any vitamin so I take mine at bedtime and it works well for me.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I have gotten sick from taking vitamins on an empty stomach, even if I drink a full 8oz of water with it. You need to eat something first, then take the vitamin with water.
  • bryony_pie
    bryony_pie Posts: 40
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. I now split the vitamin in half, take half immediately after breakfast and half with dinner. That seems to help.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    it happens when you take it on a empty stomach, eat breakfast first then take it.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You might need to take it with a meal...Also check to see if it is "food-based". Food based multi vitamins feel better on the stomach because your body can break it down better. It sees it as "food". I use a liquid multi- vitamin from Nature's way called Alive. It has so much goodness in it! And because it's a liquid, your body absorbs it quicker. Tablets and capsules can make your body work a tad harder to break down the supplement. Its about 30 bucks a bottle, but well worth it :)
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Try taking it with food. It should make a big difference in reducing any nausea. If that doesn't work, talk to your pharmacist or doctor as there may be an ingredient that you have an intollerance for.
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    For me I get headaches and nausea from the iron in vitamins... the smell and taste. Ick.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. I now split the vitamin in half, take half immediately after breakfast and half with dinner. That seems to help.

this is a really good idea when you have a 1-a-day vitamin. Otherwise you are probably peeing out most of the goodness before your body can digest it. Splitting it up helps your body process more of it.
  • wanetam
    wanetam Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I can only take vitamins with a big meal. Vitamin B for sure makes me super sick on an empty stomach. Just try to take your vitamins with your big meal.
  • Taggie10
    Taggie10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with that multivitamin... I found that it was because I took it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach... When I ate breakfast first and then took it I was fine... The problem was that I would forget to take it then if I went and did other things instead of taking it when I brushed my teeth... I ended up switching to a gummy vitamin for adults and it works well for me...
  • oyvonnee
    oyvonnee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Iron may be the culprit for the nausea. If you are taking it with food and it still makes you nauseous, check it for iron. I ended up taking a multi vitamin without iron in the morning and taking Enzymatic Therapy iron supplement separately - at night - to solve the problem. This brand is easier on my stomach and taking it at night helped too. Hope that helps! Yvonne
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with that multivitamin... I found that it was because I took it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach... When I ate breakfast first and then took it I was fine... The problem was that I would forget to take it then if I went and did other things instead of taking it when I brushed my teeth... I ended up switching to a gummy vitamin for adults and it works well for me...

Mmm. I like the idea of a gummy multi for adults!!!

I usually do take my multi- with food, but still experience the nauseau- though definitely far less than on an empty stomach- just won't do that anymore.