Surprises and lessons learnt

Options
What surprised you when you started MFP? Me:
1. Bread has loads of calories! If you have a takeaway curry and order a naan bread then you can only have the naan bread and a piece of cucumber
2. It's very difficult to be a drunk and stick to a calorie limit. You would have to just consume wine and kale which isn't balanced lifestyle
3. Pastry is the devil
4. Sweet potatoes are like little gifts from God. Low in calories, fill you up and the only thing which gets the stupid little potassium meter filled up.

How about you?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is easy. And good for my wallet. Who knew lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was surprised at how is it is for me to eat at a deficit and not feel hungry when I increased protein, veggies, and fiber and decreased carbs.

Also surprised at what a HUGE improvement a digital scale is over a spring scale. Logging is much less of a PITA now.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale, big for me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    LOL at #2. :)

Butter was my single biggest shocker. I knew it was high, but didn't know it was that high.

Rice cakes, too. I don't know why, but I always thought they were like single-digit calories or something. It only makes sense that there would be more, when you think about it, but I was surprised.

I kind of knew with everything else what was and wasn't high in calories.
  • SparklySarah412
    SparklySarah412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree about the bread, I was shocked to find out that there's near enough 200 calories in one tortilla - I don't even like tortillas all that much but I'd have them because I thought they were better than normal bread but actually one tortilla is only something like 10 calories less than 2 slices of normal bread and way less filling

Also was surprised to find that there's near enough the same number of calories in brown bread as there is in white bread.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    1/ Logging is a PITA!!!! but does get easier.
    2/I have the magical ability to eat a week's worth of calories in a single day!
    3/Who knew I would have to choose between chips and guac? (kept guac, now eat with cucumber slices)
  • RunningaftertheTardis
    Options
    How easy it is to consume thousands of calories at a Mexican restaurant. Between chips, queso, and margaritas, it is shockingly simple to put away 3 days worth of calories! >:)

Also, it surprised me how many calories there are in nuts. I always figured since they are healthy, I could eat more. Wrong!
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    -I was surprised at how full I could be with eating an actual serving (not two or three) and a glass of water.
    -Also, I'm just as happy with 1tbsp of Peanut butter on my rice cake, not the usual "what I think is 1 tbsp and is actually 2.5tbsp)
    - Bananas have become a treat. high in calories and sugar
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    ci<co works so exactly when you measure everything accurately and honestly. Food scale, FitBit, & MFP make it so simple. I have never lost weight so consistently. No magic and no mystery just accuracy.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    My only real surprises were that it is cheaper to calorie count then just eat willy nilly. I don't buy groceries I don't need and I don't go out to eat unless it is planned. Also the amount of dishes I have to wash now is ridiculous! I hate dishes but, it is really the only annoying thing about Calorie counting. Everything else to me is easy.
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of glad I don't drink. It would make things complicated aha.

I was surprised how easy it is when you get into the rhythem of things.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Butter was my single biggest shocker. I knew it was high, but didn't know it was that high.

Rice cakes, too. I don't know why, but I always thought they were like single-digit calories or something. It only makes sense that there would be more, when you think about it, but I was surprised.

For me, I was surprised at how much butter I could use. 2-4g is plenty when I fry an egg and not too calorific!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    how much longer food lasts when I portion it out... instead of just eating all of it... grocery bill has gone down since starting all this.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree about the bread, I was shocked to find out that there's near enough 200 calories in one tortilla - I don't even like tortillas all that much but I'd have them because I thought they were better than normal bread but actually one tortilla is only something like 10 calories less than 2 slices of normal bread and way less filling

Also was surprised to find that there's near enough the same number of calories in brown bread as there is in white bread.

I found low-carb tortillas that are also low in calories...70 calories per flour tortilla (6-inch). La Tortilla brand. Got them at Safeway/Vons.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

For me, I was surprised at how much butter I could use. 2-4g is plenty when I fry an egg and not too calorific!

seriously? You can fry an egg in 2 grams of butter? I'm impressed
  • wreckzrainer131
    wreckzrainer131 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to eat cereal everyday but now it just isn't worth it for the amount of calories that come along with it.
  • pooks1976
    pooks1976 Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1. I was drinking a lot of calories!
    2. Eggs are awesome.
    3. Bread, pasta, and rice had way more calories than I thought.
    4. Being short means I can't eat as much as bigger people.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised how easy it was to lose the weight initially (I was super motivated last summer) and how easily it came back (15 of the 20 pounds I lost) and how little motivation I have the 2nd time around. It's like--NO--not this again!!!!! It turns out I am terrible at the maintenance part! And I am surprised how many of my daily activities include food. A shockingly high number of of places I go and things I do are linked to eating/treats--like, the doctor is by that bakery that has the terrific scones! or if we go to the museum, that great cupcake place is right there too!!! that kind of thing. in my own head I have to unhook that food goes with activities. I am also shocked by how many of those pounds I gained back were for nothing--wasted on garbage that I should have had the self control to pass up.

Lessons--stick to what works--log consistently, eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies and drink tons of water. Working out is good for not only physical health but mental health too. At age 45, being healthy isn't about vanity any more--it's about long term health and vitality. Sleep is more important to weight loss and making healthy decisions than I thought--when I am tired the healthy eating and working out thing goes to hell. Lessons--you reap what you sow--at some point, lousy habits/decisions/choices will come back to bite you.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    So you realized carbs are basically causing you to overeat; wow, if only someone had told us.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    So you realized carbs are basically causing you to overeat; wow, if only someone had told us.
    You eating too many carbs while not moving around is causing you to over-eat.

Once you realize that you can either do something about it, or blame your easy access to carbs for your predicament.

Like, dude(dette), seriously, WTF? You figure the carbs are out to get you, stay away from them! You have my permission.

M-kay, now?