I want to start lifting! Any successful routines?

Options
Hey everyone. i am coming out of a very difficult time in my life and i am ready to take my life back. ive done Cardio only in the past and i want to join a local gym and finally use the weight area. i am looking to LOSE weight and LOSE fat and gain DEFINITION and LEAN muscle. my ultimate goal is to lose 120 lbs, but id be happy with just losing between 80-100. Any routines with the calorie goal you follow and any tips along with it would really help me move on and finally be happy. thank you all in advance!

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good routines for beginners with freeweights include: Starting Strength, Stronglifts, NROL, All Pro's SBR, Strong Curves.

If you don't have equipment availability (or want to get going on something at home right away), then: Convict Conditioning, YAYOG or startbodyweight.com are places to look.

The trick is to pick something, get started, devote at least 3-6 months to it and see where you would like to go from there (you would get results by diligently following any of the routines I listed above if your diet is dialled in)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5

OP it seems you've fallen for the trap.

You don't get lean muscle and fatty muscle. Muscle is muscle.

Generally speaking, gaining muscle requires a caloric surplus. This means you eat more than your TDEE to gain weight, whereas for losing weight, you eat less. See the conflict? It is possible to gain some muscle while in a deficit, this is commonly referred to as 'newbie gains' but there are factors which make it more likely (it's still quite hard though);
    • Whether you're new to lifting or returning
    • Body fat percentage (higher = more likely to build in a deficit)
    • How big deficit is

As far as nutrition goes, this is a good framework for your macros;
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs

Good luck OP.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    No! Just successful people! Just kidding :) yes the New Rules of Lifting for Women has been a great help to a lot of folks on here. Bodybuilding.com has some good routines
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    strong lifts! not a fan of strong curves or nrolfw.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Go here: http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/workouts/search-workouts and then go to the gym and lift heavy objects repeatedly.
  • bigbuffbarry
    bigbuffbarry Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Most programs are effective, the key is to keep at it whichever you choose
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Programs that focus on progressive overload and compound lifts are the most effective. Some programs focus purely on strength, others on strength + body composition. Pick the one that fits your goals the best.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Look into bodyweight exercises too. There are lots of 5 to 15-minute quick routines on YouTube (Fitness Blender, Pop Sugar). Google "Nerd Fitness" and "You are Your Own Gym" for more structure. If you commit 30 days you will begin seeing changes.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. i am coming out of a very difficult time in my life and i am ready to take my life back. ive done Cardio only in the past and i want to join a local gym and finally use the weight area. i am looking to LOSE weight and LOSE fat and gain DEFINITION and LEAN muscle. my ultimate goal is to lose 120 lbs, but id be happy with just losing between 80-100. Any routines with the calorie goal you follow and any tips along with it would really help me move on and finally be happy. thank you all in advance!

Lose 120 pounds? How much do you currently weigh? You don't look like you need to lose nearly that much.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Lose 120 pounds? How much do you currently weigh? You don't look like you need to lose nearly that much.

I'm an idiot. I meant I want to lose 100 pounds to be 120. My doctor said with my height my ideal weight is 120. I've been there once upon a time. Right now I'm 220 and very unhappy. I think I found something that will help me and get me there.