Excess skin after major weight loss...please be kind

Options
2»

Replies

• purpleposies
    purpleposies Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This might be stupid, but in addition to maintaining a good healthy diet and exercise regimen, is there anything else that can help? Making sure skin is moisturized? Is there a vitamin supplement that can help, too? I heard someone say they used exfoliating gloves once?

I've been researching this and am wondering. Any insight would be appreciated. :smile:
  • bjess8411
    bjess8411 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I was hoping to hear success stories about 100+ lbs lost and how you dealt with the excess skin.

I truly think I will be headed towards surgery for it but I hope not.

About me, started at 320lbs in Sept 2013 (6 months postpartum from my twins) , currently at 196lbs. My goal weight was/is 190. Even though this is technically still overweight, I never imagined getting to this point. I will not stop "trying" at 190 of course, I will continue my new lifestyle forever, if I continue to lose I will be ecstatic. I am 5'9. Joined Planet Fitness a little over a month ago (yes I know some people look at PF as a lazy gym lol). Anyways I think it fits my schedule and busy life well, so far it has been a great addition for me.

Problem is, my stomach is still very flabby with a lot of overhanging of skin/fat? Plus my arms are yuck. I broke my arm about 4 years ago and never attempted to build much strength back so I know this is my fault as well. Has anyone's skin realistically bounced back from so much weight loss and muscle neglect for many years.

Just after having a baby it takes several years for the stomach to go back to normal, add in weight loss and there will probably be more time. You should give it a little while and then go for surgery if you still aren't happy.
  • xBabyLlamaDrama
    xBabyLlamaDrama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Look up "obese to beast" on YouTube. He has a video where he shows his loose skin (he dropped a LOT of weight) and then explained why he wanted to keep it. It offers a really fresh and unique perspective.
  • purpleposies
    purpleposies Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    W_Northrop wrote: »
    Look up "obese to beast" on YouTube. He has a video where he shows his loose skin (he dropped a LOT of weight) and then explained why he wanted to keep it. It offers a really fresh and unique perspective.

I appreciate why some people would want to keep it - but I don't see why everyone needs to think or feel this way. I don't see a problem with wanting to keep it, just as I don't think it should be a problem for those people that want to get rid of it.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to lose and this is something I worry about a lot. It's good to see some honest replies.
  • melissasue0317
    melissasue0317 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I think if it were a small area, I wouldn't think of surgery as an option. But that being said, it's significant.

I carried my weight in my stomach then became pregnant with twins. Now I have a "skin apron" that hangs past my pelvic bone on the sides but not covering my pubic area. After meeting with a surgeon, its very unlikely to improve.

I can slide size 12s on but can not fasten or even get close to fastening them bc of the amount of skin etc. So I'm still in a 14 or 16.

Shapewear it is for a while anyways.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot (160+ pounds). I have been on maintenance for 20 months and some of the "hanging" skin has shrunk(if that is the correct term). For me, at age 63, that is not much of an issue at all, so it does not bother me. I am so grateful to this site and the support and encouragement from the people here, I couldn't have done it without this site. I like myself now, and am happy with how I look in "normal sized" clothes. I can totally understand how you younger folks feel though. Kudos to you shadow2soul and triciab79, you both look amazing and should be understandably proud of yourselves! You are both roll models for sure.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I am a mum of 3 my eldest is 13 my middle us 5 and bubba 2. I had awful loose skin I body brush and moisturise twice daily ( not a miracle but does make skin look healthier) I use a good firming lotion again creates smooth feeling skin I run 3x a week lift 3x a week not particularly heavy and i have an okay body id never have surgery because i went through ivf i had the perfect body then ( in my opinion) and id never want the perfect body as it meant no babies
  • xBabyLlamaDrama
    xBabyLlamaDrama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I appreciate why some people would want to keep it - but I don't see why everyone needs to think or feel this way.
    And by no means was I trying to insinuate that others should think this way. If she wants to get rid of it, have at it. I just provided input as requested.
  • Debusaurus
    Debusaurus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm so appreciative of this topic being discussed, and real pictures being posted as well. I'm trying to keep detailed picture documentation of my weight loss so that I will be able to do the same in the future, but a constant question on my mind is.. when I get to my goal, how much overhang and stretch will I be left with? It's a scary thought, but you all look so beautiful in spite of the excess and I'm gaining the confidence that I will too.

The weight has to go, overhang or not, this I know.. I've already lost over 50lbs of weight I have kept off successfully this year and have plenty to go. Congratulations to everyone, and good luck and future congratulations to everyone else! :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!