Does it really matter that i eat a bunch of carbs?

Options
themonstermash
themonstermash Posts: 71 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm pretty much always over on carbs. By a lot. My question is, does it actually matter? I realize that for weight loss it probably doesnt (CICO). But are there other effects? How can I lower the carbs in my diet? My diary is open to public scrutiny, have at it if you'd like.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It does not matter as long as you are eating enough protein. Fat is important too but not as much as protein.
    Reduce some of the fruit in order to eat lots more beans, broccoli, spinach, lentils.
    Consider adding nuts, sunflower seeds, green peas, kale, Brussels sprouts.
    Your bread and peanut butter have carbs AND protein so keep them.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If you are not at diabetic risk it is probably not a big deal at all. You could try substituting more protein into your snacks. I get a vegetarian vibe from you diary but saw you ate cheese, so I am making the assumption your not a vegan. Try french vanilla flavored whey protein powder in milk. It will replace some of your carb calories and tastes pretty good.
  • pineapple_pizza
    pineapple_pizza Posts: 34 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You're right that it doesn't matter for weight loss. The only effect it has is that you will be missing out on other micro and macronutrients you could get from eating other foods. It's a trade off. For example, you could alternatively be increasing your fat intake for more vitamin E and fatty acids. Or you could be eating more protein or attempting to pair certain foods to create more complete proteins to get all your essential amino acids (looks like you're on a vegan diet which makes this harder). I will say that it is in your benefit to try hitting your daily protein goals otherwise you'll lose more muscle mass than you have to as the weight comes off.

Looking at your diary, I would say that most of your carb intake seems to be from fruit and veg and whole grains which is good. I would just rotate the types more to decrease your total carbs. Instead of apples and bananas, consume more berries and apricots. Consume cauliflower and zucchini instead of white potatoes, etc. Also, just be mindful of how much pasta, grains, or bread you're consuming throughout your day. You'll also increase the variety of micronutrients you receive this way. It's all about balance!

(Also make sure to take a B12 supplement! I personally have to set a reminder to take them.)
  • themonstermash
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    It does not matter as long as you are eating enough protein. Fat is important too but not as much as protein.
    Reduce some of the fruit in order to eat lots more beans, broccoli, spinach, lentils.

Thanks for the specific suggestions! I will definitely focus on hitting protein. If i hit that i think I'll be able to rest easier about being over carbs. I just really love apples...lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter, but eating mainly carbs may make you feel more hungry. Getting enough fat and protein will help keep you full and make it easier to hit your calorie goal.
  • themonstermash
    Options
    If you are not at diabetic risk it is probably not a big deal at all. You could try substituting more protein into your snacks. I get a vegetarian vibe from you diary but saw you ate cheese, so I am making the assumption your not a vegan. Try french vanilla flavored whey protein powder in milk. It will replace some of your carb calories and tastes pretty good.

Yeah i do sometimes eat cheese (especially if I've been drinking) but am working on a transition away from all dairy & eggs. However, adding protein powders is a good idea. I can probably find a plant baded protein powder. Actively seeking out protein is an interesting endeavor.
  • themonstermash
    Options
    amy_pham wrote: »
    You're right that it doesn't matter for weight loss. The only effect it has is that you will be missing out on other micro and macronutrients you could get from eating other foods. It's a trade off. For example, you could alternatively be increasing your fat intake for more vitamin E and fatty acids. Or you could be eating more protein or attempting to pair certain foods to create more complete proteins to get all your essential amino acids (looks like you're on a vegan diet which makes this harder). I will say that it is in your benefit to try hitting your daily protein goals otherwise you'll lose more muscle mass than you have to as the weight comes off.

Looking at your diary, I would say that most of your carb intake seems to be from fruit and veg and whole grains which is good. I would just rotate the types more to decrease your total carbs. Instead of apples and bananas, consume more berries and apricots. Consume cauliflower and zucchini instead of white potatoes, etc. Also, just be mindful of how much pasta, grains, or bread you're consuming throughout your day. You'll also increase the variety of micronutrients you receive this way. It's all about balance!

(Also make sure to take a B12 supplement! I personally have to set a reminder to take them.)

Thanks for the advice! I love snacking on fresh fruit and will look for less carby alternatives. And i definitely take my supplement each morning :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Agree with all the above.

Except the kale. Kill that with fire.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at a deficit? If so your macros might be different once you go back to maintenance calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at a deficit? If so your macros might be different once you go back to maintenance calories.

Only if you manually change them. The percentages don't change in maintenance, you just get more calories.