How do I calculate the calories for this ?

When I scan the barcode on a package of hamburger patties from the meat counter, it tells me that one 5 oz. patty is 310 calories. After I grill it, it weighs 2.88 oz. I think I should figure the calories, based on it's weight after grilling. In this case, 57% of 310 calories. Can someone please tell me if I am calculating this correctly and if I am not, advise me ? Thanks for any help.

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    I would weigh it before you grill it. Most nutrition facts are based on raw weight.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited July 2015

Weigh it raw. Half the calories don't evaporate or leave during cooking.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Raw weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Always raw.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Raw.

The barcode should give you the stats for the item (or serving) as it exists in the package, not after whatever it is you're going to do with it.
  • Kattzmeow2014
    Kattzmeow2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for your helpful responses. ☺
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Always weigh things raw :)
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Raw.

The barcode should give you the stats for the item (or serving) as it exists in the package, not after whatever it is you're going to do with it.

Doesn't this mean that the facts may not be the same after cooking? I'm just picturing a raw burger, in the package. After cooking it there's a lot of fat left in the pan or dripped onto the bbq coals...
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    cabwj wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Raw.

Doesn't this mean that the facts may not be the same after cooking? I'm just picturing a raw burger, in the package. After cooking it there's a lot of fat left in the pan or dripped onto the bbq coals...

Yes, cooking meats that have a lot of fat that leave the meat changes the values. Attempting to estimate that becomes a exercise in futility, however. Differences in cooking time, temperature, etc. makes it very difficult to come up with a consistent estimate of what the cooked product is.

The better practice is to use the raw meat value. You use a more consistent datapoint to start with, and at worst you're overestimating your calories eaten instead of underestimating.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Yes, cooking meats that have a lot of fat that leave the meat changes the values. Attempting to estimate that becomes a exercise in futility, however. Differences in cooking time, temperature, etc. makes it very difficult to come up with a consistent estimate of what the cooked product is.

The better practice is to use the raw meat value. You use a more consistent datapoint to start with, and at worst you're overestimating your calories eaten instead of underestimating.

Really good point.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited July 2015
    Ol Dirty knows how to weigh his food:
    dde58domb2m7.jpg

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    When I scan the barcode on a package of hamburger patties from the meat counter, it tells me that one 5 oz. patty is 310 calories. After I grill it, it weighs 2.88 oz. I think I should figure the calories, based on it's weight after grilling. In this case, 57% of 310 calories. Can someone please tell me if I am calculating this correctly and if I am not, advise me ? Thanks for any help.

You log the raw weight
  • LessofPenny
    LessofPenny Posts: 53 Member
    I googled this, because I just couldn't believe that I had been doing it wrong all this time. I have been and this most likely why I do not see a big weight change. Good question!
  • robynmoosehead
    robynmoosehead Posts: 66 Member
    edited July 2015
    senecarr wrote: »
    Ol Dirty knows how to weigh his food:
    dde58domb2m7.jpg

+ 1 million for the shimmy shimmy ya reference!!!