The database is ridiculous

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
So I was just logging spinach, found a verified entry for the brand I am using, scrolled down the options to see if there was an entry in grams... found fluid ounces. For spinach.

I'm seriously shaking my head here. As if not finding a teaspoon entry for olive oil wasn't bad enough.

Replies

• themonstermash
    themonstermash Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You do know you can add things to the database yourself right? If its in the database wrong why do you care? Just dont use it. Create a new food item, log it, and move on.
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I bought a food scale because everybody said its the most accurate way to log. Now my food gets cold while I'm looking for something that measures in ounces. I would log it myself, but how am I supposed to know how many calories an ounce equals?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    So I was just logging spinach, found a verified entry for the brand I am using, scrolled down the options to see if there was an entry in grams... found fluid ounces. For spinach.

I'm seriously shaking my head here. As if not finding a teaspoon entry for olive oil wasn't bad enough.

Fractions: one teaspoon = 0.33 tablespoons.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

Fractions: one teaspoon = 0.33 tablespoons.

Yeah it's what I did, I'm just not sure why they removed that option.
    zoomtech16 wrote: »
    I totally agree! I bought a food scale because everybody said its the most accurate way to log. Now my food gets cold while I'm looking for something that measures in ounces. I would log it myself, but how am I supposed to know how many calories an ounce equals?

That's why I prelog, so I can just adjust the values instead of trying to find the correct entry... much faster, lol.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Sometimes the foods are measured in grams instead. Using grams is even more accurate than ounces.
    After you get used to weighing your favorite foods for two weeks, you will mostly be weighing and eating the same foods. That cuts down time. Be patient with the process. Eventually it will be working for you. :)

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Pretty soon the entries you've used will all be in your recent foods and it'll be faster when you log those foods in the future. Also, the USDA entries for whole foods (produce, meats) tend to have a grams option so adding that to your search term might help.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The problem is that it's become harder to find the good entries with all the good measurements with the new "verified" system. NOT an improvement.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think this morning I had to go through 6 different entries for black plums before I could find one that was in grams. 1 medium black plum does not cut it for me.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think this morning I had to go through 6 different entries for black plums before I could find one that was in grams. 1 medium black plum does not cut it for me.

I search now by entering "black plums, grams". That usually makes the grams option pop right up.
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It takes me forever to log anything I don't eat daily. It's an enormous headache. But, I think of it like traffic... I gotta take a deep breath, deal with it & get thru it, if I wanna get paid...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The problem is that it's become harder to find the good entries with all the good measurements with the new "verified" system. NOT an improvement.

Very true. They're going through and verifying existing entries, no matter how spotty. I think if it has cups, then it ends up getting all the liquid measurements added to it. They must have some sort of automated method for doing that. Without any way to make MFP official entries pop - it's just a bit harder

• BrendaFennell
    BrendaFennell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1 tablespoon equals 3 teaspoons. If the entry measures the nutrition information by the tablespoon, then for serving size of 1 teaspoon would be .3 - very simple. Hope that helps.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It takes me forever to log anything I don't eat daily. It's an enormous headache. But, I think of it like traffic... I gotta take a deep breath, deal with it & get thru it, if I wanna get paid...

I LOVE This attitude. Best response here yet. :)

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    That there are mL/fluid ounce options for everything from spinach to beans makes absolutely no sense to me.
  • ashmarie1083
    ashmarie1083 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    some basic conversions I've learned over time:
    1 tsp = 0.333 Tbsp
    1 oz = 28 gm
    4 Tbsp = 0.25 Cups
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    That there are mL/fluid ounce options for everything from spinach to beans makes absolutely no sense to me.

It's really quite silly. For a minute there, they even had it where the MFP official entries would float to the top of the search results. Now I'm really not sure what they're doing
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

It's really quite silly. For a minute there, they even had it where the MFP official entries would float to the top of the search results. Now I'm really not sure what they're doing

I haven't eaten anything new since they stopped because I am a boring woman. Drove me nuts. And some of the verified entries are either incorrect or only correct in foreign countries (I shop at Aldi and I assume that's the case for the multiple incorrect entries).
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at the number of entries that are completely wrong and others that don't have a gram listing. Whoever is logging the Lean Cuisine for 65 calories is doing themselves a great disservice.

Does clicking "no" where it asks if the entry is correct do anything? After so many 'no' votes does the entry get deleted?

I noticed there is an option when you add an entry on whether you want to share that entry to the database. Maybe that question should be more prominent and should include that you will still be able to use that entry - that it doesn't have to be shared into the database to use it another day.

Homemade - Toast Peanut Butter and Jelly How much? 1 sandwich

doesn't work for me.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the number of entries that are completely wrong and others that don't have a gram listing. Whoever is logging the Lean Cuisine for 65 calories is doing themselves a great disservice.

Does clicking "no" where it asks if the entry is correct do anything? After so many 'no' votes does the entry get deleted?

I noticed there is an option when you add an entry on whether you want to share that entry to the database. Maybe that question should be more prominent and should include that you will still be able to use that entry - that it doesn't have to be shared into the database to use it another day.

doesn't work for me.
    It allows you to edit the entry.

Yeah, wading through the database was bad enough before the new verified system came along. I edited three entries for the same food yesterday because the first two seemed to disappear after the "Changes saved!" page.

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »

doesn't work for me.
    It allows you to edit the entry.

Yeah, wading through the database was bad enough before the new verified system came along. I edited three entries for the same food yesterday because the first two seemed to disappear after the "Changes saved!" page.

Maybe they activated some sort of "Auto nuke duplicates" feature?