I am 6'3 324. I want a Bike real bad

Options
Just not sure what I should get for my size. Sure I am getting smaller but I want something that will ho,e the weight and fun to ride. Any ideas/

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    a mountain bike? My fiance is 6'4 and 310lbs...he just bought a 21' Kona...and he loves it. It's definitely MAN size
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I'm only 5'5" but the Swinn held me when I was 330lbs. I'd probably invest in a TREK if I were you though. They're amazing bikes.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Go with either a mountain bike or a hybrid. They're pretty sturdy. Don't bother with the cheapies at Walmart... they're not assembled well, and they're pretty cheaply made brands. I recommend spending a few more bucks and going to a reputable bike shop. With your height, you want a bike that has at least 20" seat post length (that's how they're measured). And be sure your bike shop offers 1 yr maintenance service. Adjustments are frequently needed I just bought a new bike this weekend, and found tht the front brakes were tightened a bit too much during assembly, brought it in, and they IMMEDIATELY fixed it for me.
  • babersbh
    babersbh Posts: 32
    Options
    Are you talking about a motor bike or a pedal bike?
  • Caitie1986
    Caitie1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Jim- as a cyclist myself, i would say that the type of bike you get really depends on what you want to do. Mountain bikes are great fun, but you really should have mountains if you are going to get one. They will wear you out if you are just on the road. My husband and I have matching (silly, right?) Giant Suedes. They are what's known as "cruisers" and are just for fun, getting around town, and enjoying a leisure ride. Don't get me wrong, it's still a work out, but they are built for smooth sailing and the seats are AMAZING if you haven't done a lot of riding in a while. He is a good sized guy, too, and the "large" really seems to work for him. If you aren't sure, stop by a local bike shop and ask them to let you try out a couple of sizes. Different heights and bar lengths will fit different sized people.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3" and started out at 321# here in March. I ride an old GT Palomar that we bought for my son 10-12 years ago. I have the seat cranked all the way up, and just put a 5" rise handlebar on it ($10). It's served me well, and I'm still recovering from knee and lower back surgery. Good luck, you can do this!!
  • JoSa37
    JoSa37 Posts: 16
    Options
    I think it all depends on what you want to spend. If you want a road bike equip it with wheels intended for a tandem and a touring style frame. I'd stay away from a department store and go with a local bicycle store.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going to a reputable bicycle shop and getting fit and sized properly for a bike. The big retail shops are not the place to go if you want to get real serious about bicycling. Look around, and when you find the right shop, talk to them tell them what you want and keep your price range in mind. The really good shops will let you test ride bikes before you buy, too. But be prepared for sticker shock. For a heavy rider, I would recommend a strong steel frame. Carbon frames are super light weight and a joy to ride, but I would be concerned that the frame might fail over a long period of time, and they are quite pricey anyway. A mountain bike or a hybrid style bike might be a great starter bike, and then if you really get into it, you could go for something lighter and better later on. The components of a bike (front and rear derailleurs) are quite important, in other words, try to get the best quality you can for the money, but again, I would recommend going to a shop that specializes in bicycles. And wear a helmet (and gloves). Good luck and happy riding!
  • mikeeats
    mikeeats Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I started to ride I was 6-1 and 260 lbs and was fine on a Giant TCR carbon frame bike. That frame and bike has been rock solid. I spent more than I knew I could afford which kept me riding the bike, which lead to a drop in weight to 230 and then back up to 245 where I stayed until a few weeks ago when I started using MFP. I swear I couldn't gain or lose more than one pound or two and then when I began using MFP the weight started coming down again and am very hopeful that I can get it down south of 200lbs. I made that goal to be competitive on my bike like I was when I was 25. I was embarrased at my recent performance on a 104 mile ride with my much lighter riding buddies.
    Long story short, it really depends on what type of riding you want to do, but riding has never made me feel better than I do now and I know it can only get better when I reach my weight goal. Just get out and ride whatever makes you feel good about riding. Do what motivates you to make a better you. Don't do it in order to drop the lbs. It becomes a job at that point. Just do it to have fun and you will see the results. Good luck!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going to a reputable bicycle shop and getting fit and sized properly for a bike. The big retail shops are not the place to go if you want to get real serious about bicycling. Look around, and when you find the right shop, talk to them tell them what you want and keep your price range in mind. The really good shops will let you test ride bikes before you buy, too. But be prepared for sticker shock. For a heavy rider, I would recommend a strong steel frame. Carbon frames are super light weight and a joy to ride, but I would be concerned that the frame might fail over a long period of time, and they are quite pricey anyway. A mountain bike or a hybrid style bike might be a great starter bike, and then if you really get into it, you could go for something lighter and better later on. The components of a bike (front and rear derailleurs) are quite important, in other words, try to get the best quality you can for the money, but again, I would recommend going to a shop that specializes in bicycles. And wear a helmet (and gloves). Good luck and happy riding!

Ditto. Steel is good stuff. Bomb-proof, smoother than aluminum, cheaper than carbon. I recently rode a friend's Surly Crosscheck and couldn't believe how sturdy that thing felt. Heavy as heck, but I think I could take that over anything. It's a cyclocross bike, so it essentially has road geometry, but can take beefier, knobby tires for doing dirt roads or slick tires for a bit more speed. Something like that might be a nice option, since it would give you a good deal of flexibility. They aren't all that cheap, though.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I think you already got the technical answers you need... I am going to agree with those who said you should find a good local shop. I went by recommendations from friends, and found a wonderful shop. I'm glad I did. I just started cycling in March, and I have not regretted my purchase even once!!

Also, I have to emphasize this!!!
    Just get out and ride whatever makes you feel good about riding. Do what motivates you to make a better you. Don't do it in order to drop the lbs. It becomes a job at that point. Just do it to have fun and you will see the results. Good luck!

Have fun with it! Don't see it as exercise, see it as fun! I LOVE riding my bike! I commute to work an average of 3 days a week, and I work 8 miles from home. Plus, I am hitting the bike trail and riding for a couple hours on the weekends as well, and I love it!! There are times when I just wish I could be on my bike, and I'm so happy to have found something that I truly enjoy that will also keep me active. That's super important!!
  • joyce1973
    joyce1973 Posts: 9
    Options
    check out ninerbikes.com something like a Air9 or MCR would make a do anything bike, stay away from the chain store cheapies as you will be very disapointed, find a good local bike store and they should be able to help.
  • misslauren88
    misslauren88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a cruiser too. It's by Reighley and I <3 it. Thinking about selling it though to get something lighter as it is very awkward to get it up and down the stairs of my apartment.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh 366, but I started off at 440 this year. I've been riding a Giant Cypress DX, with a fat boy seat, and it is extremely comfortable for me. I logged 153 miles my first month of riding this year, and I'm on track for 600 miles this month. The bike is rated for 300 pounds, but it's held up just fine for me.