Work Lunch Ideas?

Options
I start a new job this week and I know they'll be taking me out to lunch the first two days, but I need ideas for lunches for the rest of the week and the rest of the summer.

I'll be working full time and taking classes at night, so I won't have much time to prepare elaborate meals to take to work. I'm also a vegetarian, so I'm looking for some quick, easy, and filling lunch ideas. (Oh, and I hate boca burgers/garden burgers. I love homemade veggie burgers, though).

I do enjoy salads, but I feel like they take some planning and I don't know if I want to lug around a huge container of lettuce in addition to the heels, laptop, books, gym clothes and sneakers, and water bottle I'll already be carrying on the Metro and to school.

Do you have any ideas?

Replies

• criztawl
    criztawl Posts: 34
    Options
    Flavoured tuna on crackers
    Pasta salad
  • AllisonMarisa
    AllisonMarisa Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I suggest making your dinners a bit larger so you can have leftovers for lunch, that always works great for me. A lot of times too I'll whip up something at night to be my entree (soup, pasta, casserole) for several days. It's easy to just stick it in some containers and put in the fridge, then I have my lunches already set aside. I usually use a bento box to carry it around in.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I made a navy bean and ground beef soup. It simmered so long it was more like chili. But it was extremely filling lasted me almost a week. If you can re-heat food at work, this might be a good option - just remove the beef.
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i made 2 quick things at work - if you have a mircowave..

1. uncle bens rice with creamed corn, kidney beans and salsa
    2. pinto beans, sweetcorn , cottage cheese, quorn pieces and tinned tomatoes.

Othwise mabe a wrap with something in it? or some fresh soup?
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    How about wraps?
    You can take dinner left overs and wrap them in a light tortilla (there are some great healthy ones out there)
    Piece of fruit and water
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    Options
    Hello fellow veggie friend!

I pack my lunch daily, as I have been for about 5 or so years now (basically since I got my first IT office job). Today, I made a veggie wrap... took me 5 minutes since I prepare my groceries the day I buy them (to save time later).

The wrap consisted of the following:

whole grain low carb tortilla wrap
    mixed greens
    black beans
    avocado
    white mushrooms
    broccoli
    a bit of feta cheese
    few drops of dressing (I used roasted red pepper by Annie's).

Total Calories: 227
    Total Carbs: 27g
    Total Fat: 13g (remember that avocado has healthy fats!)

Anyway, this number above is based on the amount of veggies I could pack into the wrap without it bursting open. lol
    Toss in a piece of fruit, and voila, you've got yourself a healthy vegetarian lunch!
  • BossSauce69
    BossSauce69 Posts: 33
    Options
    This is what I do:
    Sandwich and an apple. Purchased and prepared the weekend before, so there is no hassle or planning. I err on the side of too much food (albeit healthy,) so I don't hit up the vending machine. In addition, make a reminder to yourself to bring the lunch each day until you're in the habit.
    Don't make anything that needs to be refrigerated or you wouldn't mind spilling in your bag.
    Best of luck at the new gig.
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    Options
    I suggest making your dinners a bit larger so you can have leftovers for lunch, that always works great for me. A lot of times too I'll whip up something at night to be my entree (soup, pasta, casserole) for several days. It's easy to just stick it in some containers and put in the fridge, then I have my lunches already set aside. I usually use a bento box to carry it around in.

^Great idea. I do this often with meals I make at home. It's only my boyfriend and I, but I still cook for 4, this way we both get leftovers for lunch the next day.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches, there are many varieties to choose from so you dont get bored. Also like someone else mention, leftovers!
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    protein meal replacement bars although it may not fill you up for a long time. I have a backpack that is insulated and I use that to take my salad and dressing. the tuna and crackers is a good idea... you could make up your own crackers and low fat fillings.. chicken salad with low fat mayo.. on crackers.(depending on what kind of vegetarian you are)
    You have to be creative and not look at it as an obstacle. I had a conference to go to last week and I knew they were supplying breakfast and lunch.. I ate breakfast(oatmeal with strawberries) on the way and then ate the salad I brought for lunch. I also packed snack items such as carrots and special k crackers for in between.

You will figure it out I'm sure.. Trial and error with what works and what doesn't. Also depends on what they have available such as stove or fridge or microwave.

Good luck!
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    fruit (granny smith apples, oranges, grapefruit)

low calorie soups (lots of good veggie soups out there in the can. heat and eat)

burrito (homemade or store bought)

that's what I eat most days at work.

yogurt and coffee for breakfast

lunch time is a small burrito and half a can of soup (I buy the big cans that have 2 servings in them.. 50 or 60 cal per serving, heat up one serving in a small mason jar, eat it, and then pour the other half of the can in the jar and put it in the fridge for the next day-)

afternoon snack is a grapefruit or granny smith apple.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you have access to a microwave at lunch? If so, I would recommend cooking up enough brown rice for an entire week, and pack a lined lunch bag each day with a microwave safe container with the rice. When I put it together in the morning, I add red wine vinegar, beans, or spices, and fire it off for about one minute in the microwave at lunch time. I do the same sometimes for homemade veggie burgers. Cook up a bunch on the weekends, put them in the freezer, then add them to my lunch bag on the days I want to eat them. I have a nice little insulated lunch bag that holds lunch and snacks for the day, along with one of those frozen ice blocks to keep everything fresh without stashing it in a work fridge (where believe it or not, lunches have been stolen--some people have no shame). The bag fits down into my laptop bag where I also stow all kinds of other stuff, including two 32 ounce BPA free containers of fresh filtered water from home. I invested in a really good laptop backpack that has insulated pockets and is large to hold everything I need. Yeah it gets heavy, but it's a good workout in a way. I am a firm believer in carting it all in, and packing it all out! Leave no trace! :smile:
  • LaSirena29
    LaSirena29 Posts: 84
    Options
    I do a lot of salads during the week, but I prep ahead so that it's easy to throw together. When I come home from the store, I chop my veggies & put them into individual containers, so that I can just throw together a salad in the morning. As a vegetarian, I usually add beans of some sort (low-sodium canned chick peas are my favorite) or TVP (I buy it dried & cook it up with broth) to get some extra protien. If you don't want to carry a container around, you could find some low-cal, Wraps are great because once your eat them, their is no empty container to carry around. Add a piece of fruit, like an apple or orange & you've got a filling meal.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    right now I'm eating fresh express salad, with 100g of fake crab and 2tbsps of Rene's Cucumber and dill dressing...also Light campbell's homemade chicken noodle soup and 16oz of pure green tea
  • Omoge25
    Omoge25 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I buy a bag of Pita bread, hummus, some yogurt and some fruit and leave it in the refrigerator at work. This is my lunch most days except days I bring in left overs.