This absolutely sucks.

Options

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    What sucks is the pressure from your parents to lose 2lbs a week which seems a bit excessive at your current weight. You don't have to be a gym rat. Go on some walks, move more. Sounds like your calorie range is about right for your age, height, and goals. If you are losing .5 lbs a week, you are doing just fine.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You are probably eating a maintenance diet for 150 lbs. Try exercising more or eating fewer calories. Use MFP to help you.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    You are probably eating a maintenance diet for 150 lbs. Try exercising more or eating fewer calories. Use MFP to help you.

You didn't factor in that she is 18. Her maintenance for 150lbs is more like 1700-1900 calories.

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Nerdycurls wrote: »
    The best thing to do is to ignore your parents and pay attention to what YOU do.

OP already did that, and is now in a position of needing to lose weight.

The hate-on for OP's parents is a bit ridiculous since none of you have any idea at all of the context.

I agree.

Think about it. How many times on MFP have we seen young people blame their parents for some aspect of their weight loss difficulties?

We've seen, "I live with my parents, and they buy the food". Right...so, since you're on MFP you're presumably over 18. Get a job and get your own food. I guess the people who post things like this are saying that their parents will only allow "parent purchased food" into the house. If their child brings in so much as one apple or half an almond they will be banished forever.

We've seen, "My parents only eat fast food/junk food and they force me to eat it with them". Well, if your parents are tying you down and forcing food down your throat, that sounds like a police matter.

I refuse to believe that ALL the parents of EVERY young adult who's ever posted here is so horrible that they won't let their kid bring their own food into the house, or that they won't let their kid add a few items to the weekly shopping list.

Look, I know that families can give us a lot of crap about our weight. I grew up with a mother for whom food was love. But when you become an adult, you take responsibility for yourself. Your parents can't force you to eat/not eat. They can't force you to exercise more or feel a certain way about yourself. It can be difficult to assert yourself, that's true. But if you can't/won't do it, that's on you.

As for the OP....maybe her parents are total *kitten*. Or maybe--just maybe--there's more to the story.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Ignore what your parents are saying. I can't even image a parent being like that.

I started with your same stats. The reason your parents claim is rubbish is that at 5'2" and a weight that isn't very high, we simply do not burn enough naturally to lose 2 pounds a week in a way that won't drive us crazy with exercise and deprive us. Sucks being short but it is what it is lol. Aim for a pound a week at the most. It'll be a much smoother ride for you and allow you to eat a reasonable amount. .7 a week is a great start and around the rate at which I typically lost.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I wonder what your parents have actually said to you that makes you think they expect 2lb a week weight loss

I also truly wonder if you're an adult

This!!
  • Serah87
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    what types of foods are you eating? how much do you exercise?

Neither of these have to do with weight loss. Weight loss is calories in/calorie out to create a calorie deficit.

But they do have to do with health. Can't exactly eat 1,200 calories of pizza and chocolate...

Huh?

To lose weight, the only requirement for weight loss is a calorie deficit, but you can eat whatever you want that fits in your calorie goals. It might include pizza or chocolate, depends on the person.

What I am saying is a person cannot completely subsist off of chocolate and pizza. Is it healthy to have your entire day's worth of 1,200 cals come from pizza and chocolate? Think about the ramifications of what it does to your body. I remember Rush Limbaugh tried to "debunk" some ideas of health and weight loss by citing an anecdotal quasiexperiment someone performed on himself. The guy ate sweets and junk, while limiting his cals, and then lost weight and cited it was just about the calories. Anyone who consistently eats that way will alter their blood sugar levels, leading to insulin problems, and continued havoc on their body.

Pizza has veggies, meat, sometimes fruit, tomato sauce, cheese, bread, seasoning, etc......how is that unhealthy??

Chocolate come from cocoa beans which came from a plant. Duhh.
  • Serah87
    Options

Neither of these have to do with weight loss. Weight loss is calories in/calorie out to create a calorie deficit.

But they do have to do with health. Can't exactly eat 1,200 calories of pizza and chocolate...

Huh?

To lose weight, the only requirement for weight loss is a calorie deficit, but you can eat whatever you want that fits in your calorie goals. It might include pizza or chocolate, depends on the person.

What I am saying is a person cannot completely subsist off of chocolate and pizza. Is it healthy to have your entire day's worth of 1,200 cals come from pizza and chocolate? Think about the ramifications of what it does to your body. I remember Rush Limbaugh tried to "debunk" some ideas of health and weight loss by citing an anecdotal quasiexperiment someone performed on himself. The guy ate sweets and junk, while limiting his cals, and then lost weight and cited it was just about the calories. Anyone who consistently eats that way will alter their blood sugar levels, leading to insulin problems, and continued havoc on their body.

I eat chocolate every single day, I have lost 121 pounds and been maintaining for 10 months, reverse my heart disease and excellent blood work, per my doctor says I am perfect health for my age. I must be a medical miracle, lol.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Huh?

I eat chocolate every single day, I have lost 121 pounds and been maintaining for 10 months, reverse my heart disease and excellent blood work, per my doctor says I am perfect health for my age. I must be a medical miracle, lol.

I think you're missing the point.

The majority of "junk food"-- such as the typical oil-laden pizza or sweets full of sugar isn't sustainable to eat as a meal, for every meal, of every day. Sure you can have a small piece of chocolate every day-- but is your entire meal chocolate? Are all of your meals the typical Standard American Diet??? I doubt it!

What is WITH people at MFP deliberately missing the point of people's posts, especially if there is disagreement? Damn.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    What is it WITH people who think that when people say, "I eat chocolate/have a treat every day" they think it means "I eat nothing but chocolate and sweets all day, every day"?

I have one--ONE--square of Ghirardelli chocolate every day. In addition to fruit, vegetables, lean protein. But I guess that with that one square I am DOOMED.
  • Nerdycurls
    Options
    The best thing to do is to ignore your parents and pay attention to what YOU do.

The hate-on for OP's parents is a bit ridiculous since none of you have any idea at all of the context.

I agree.

Think about it. How many times on MFP have we seen young people blame their parents for some aspect of their weight loss difficulties?

We've seen, "I live with my parents, and they buy the food". Right...so, since you're on MFP you're presumably over 18. Get a job and get your own food. I guess the people who post things like this are saying that their parents will only allow "parent purchased food" into the house. If their child brings in so much as one apple or half an almond they will be banished forever.

We've seen, "My parents only eat fast food/junk food and they force me to eat it with them". Well, if your parents are tying you down and forcing food down your throat, that sounds like a police matter.

I refuse to believe that ALL the parents of EVERY young adult who's ever posted here is so horrible that they won't let their kid bring their own food into the house, or that they won't let their kid add a few items to the weekly shopping list.

Look, I know that families can give us a lot of crap about our weight. I grew up with a mother for whom food was love. But when you become an adult, you take responsibility for yourself. Your parents can't force you to eat/not eat. They can't force you to exercise more or feel a certain way about yourself. It can be difficult to assert yourself, that's true. But if you can't/won't do it, that's on you.

As for the OP....maybe her parents are total *kitten*. Or maybe--just maybe--there's more to the story.

The basic idea here is that living with people can make weight loss difficult. We've all seen this post in some shape or another. The husband didn't like it, the boyfriend didn't like it, the parents, etc. We all took what the OP told us, just as we have in any other scenario with similar posts. The OP said multiple times the parents are expecting a 2 pound weight loss every week and then complain about not seeing the results. The fact here is the parents are expecting to see results, but it's not their body. The OP wasn't blaming the parents for the lack of results. There were complaints about not being able to meet their expectations.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Pie319 wrote: »
    your parents sound like ***holes. just do what's right for you.
    Never were truer words spoken by a pie.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Huh?

The majority of "junk food"-- such as the typical oil-laden pizza or sweets full of sugar isn't sustainable to eat as a meal, for every meal, of every day. Sure you can have a small piece of chocolate every day-- but is your entire meal chocolate? Are all of your meals the typical Standard American Diet??? I doubt it!

What is WITH people at MFP deliberately missing the point of people's posts, especially if there is disagreement? Damn.

The SAD is bad but it's not "chocolate and pizza for every meal every day", and no one NOWHERE advocates eating like that.
  • Nerdycurls
    Options

Huh?

The SAD is bad but it's not "chocolate and pizza for every meal every day", and no one NOWHERE advocates eating like that.

Okay-- my point was people still need to eat healthily and not just use "calories in, calories out" as some way to justify eating that way.
  • booksandchocolate12
    edited July 2015
    Options

I agree.

The basic idea here is that living with people can make weight loss difficult. We've all seen this post in some shape or another. The husband didn't like it, the boyfriend didn't like it, the parents, etc. We all took what the OP told us, just as we have in any other scenario with similar posts. The OP said multiple times the parents are expecting a 2 pound weight loss every week and then complain about not seeing the results. The fact here is the parents are expecting to see results, but it's not their body. The OP wasn't blaming the parents for the lack of results. There were complaints about not being able to meet their expectations.

I know that in my examples, people were blaming parents for lack of results, and in the OP's case, she was upset at her parents' expectations.

My point was that if you believe every young adult who posts on MFP, all parents are in some way a hindrance to weight loss. They're saboteurs, they're unsupportive, they're unreasonable. My guess is that the truth is somewhere in between "Unreasonable monster" and "Totally supportive and helpful".

Maybe her parents aren't a--holes as people keep saying. Maybe they need a bit of education about weight loss.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Okay-- my point was people still need to eat healthily and not just use "calories in, calories out" as some way to justify eating that way.

Have you seen anyone here taking the position, let alone advocating the position, that CICO justifies eating a poor overall diet?
  • Nerdycurls
    Options

Have you seen anyone here taking the position, let alone advocating the position, that CICO justifies eating a poor overall diet?

People have asked "what are you eating," to which others reply "that doesn't matter, it's calories in and calories out." A balanced, healthy diet needs to be coupled with weight loss but often what I see here is they are treated separately.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Huh?

People on here generally don't do that. And no one on this site recommends eating that way.

Bringing it up as an argument to say that "CI/CO is not all that matters!" is a strawman.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

People have asked "what are you eating," to which others reply "that doesn't matter, it's calories in and calories out." A balanced, healthy diet needs to be coupled with weight loss but often what I see here is they are treated separately.
    So, no?

What I see here almost every single time is something very along the lines of, "For weight loss, only calories matter. For health, macros and micros matter." To the extent the second sentence is excluded, it's almost always in the context of "Can I eat X and still lose weight?"-type discussions.

• chrisfwood
    chrisfwood Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Few tips: Drink a good amount of water, eat a good amount of fibre, get 8+ hours of good sleep these help your body function correctly. Do cardio on an empty stomach to help burn fat, eating first you get an insulin spike that disrupts the process. And yes all that is easy said than done, oh yes and the only person you should be doing any of this for is you.