Practical applications for barbell hip thrusts?

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I looked up 'strong curves' and it seems to be designed primarily for women to build a 'better butt.'
    Are these kinds of exercises primarily for improving physical appearance? I have no interest in my butt getting bigger, however I would do this exercise, despite the embarrassment of performing it, if it will help prevent injuries and create more balance throughout my body strength wise.

Yes, that is part of what the program is. But, if you read the stuff, it is more than that. The author goes into great detail about the role of the glutes, and, as I mentioned, talks about exercises which can help identify weaknesses, which is why I brought it up.

I don't really want to buy the book, could someone just tell me the tests to do to identify if I have weak glutes or not?

Oh Picklesworth, why u no google?
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I found that they lengthened my stride, increasing my speed.
    I used to cave to one side during barbell squats; this has been corrected and my top weight has increased.

Also, I can stand on one leg now, useful for tai chi.

Squats eh? I have noticed that sometimes when I do squats I tend towards putting my right foot further back than my left to feel stable, what does this mean?
  • Pittleydink
    Options
    I looked up 'strong curves' and it seems to be designed primarily for women to build a 'better butt.'
    Are these kinds of exercises primarily for improving physical appearance? I have no interest in my butt getting bigger, however I would do this exercise, despite the embarrassment of performing it, if it will help prevent injuries and create more balance throughout my body strength wise.

Yes, that is part of what the program is. But, if you read the stuff, it is more than that. The author goes into great detail about the role of the glutes, and, as I mentioned, talks about exercises which can help identify weaknesses, which is why I brought it up.

I don't really want to buy the book, could someone just tell me the tests to do to identify if I have weak glutes or not?

Should show up in squats, broad jumps. I had an instructor recognize it during a bootcamp class.

What specifically did your instructor see?

• Pittleydink
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I just wanted to say that I'm disappointed by every single response in this thread.

Trust me, I asked my husband how he'd answer and he just grinned.

Is there such a thing as partner assisted barbell hips thrusts?

• Pittleydink
    Options

I did google it but couldn't see the tests that the lady mentioned. I just wanted her to tell me them rather than buy a book to learn them.

• jemhh
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I just wanted to say that I'm disappointed by every single response in this thread.

Trust me, I asked my husband how he'd answer and he just grinned.

Is there such a thing as partner assisted barbell hips thrusts?

Partner assisted hip thrusts.

http://bretcontreras.com/b-t-always-thrusting/
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    The Time Warp.

Obviously.

tumblr_lr59b7li8H1ql5sj5o1_500.gif
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I did google it but couldn't see the tests that the lady mentioned. I just wanted her to tell me them rather than buy a book to learn them.

Then I would have to go back through the book and find them.
    When I google I see a bunch of articles with a number of different ways to assess glute strength including one by the author of Strong Curves.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusters, stiff leg deadlifts, standard deadlifts

Great way to have a strong powerful body core for an active life

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    OP is an epic troll. Don't feed him.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    OP is an epic troll. Don't feed her.

FIFY
  • JoRocka
    Options

FIFY

Unsure. After the previous thread about women being able to pick up men OP is borderline on the whole fetish thing, and it..confused me.
  • jemhh
    Options

FIFY

Did not realize this.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

FIFY

Unsure. After the previous thread about women being able to pick up men OP is borderline on the whole fetish thing, and it..confused me.

Didn't she have another account? MrBigsworth or something like that?
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Can someone show me some applications for this exercise in life outside the weight room?

haha... didn't know what they were, but after a quick Google image search, i could think of at least one... ;)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

FIFY

Might have been. But the thread I'm referring to was under this name.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

FIFY

Might have been. But the thread I'm referring to was under this name.

Oh! Gotcha.
  • Pittleydink
    Options

FIFY

Are you really not going to tell me the tests I need to do? After all you are the one who brought it up.