Post Anorexic, physically recovered

Options
Hi there,

I am currently a healthly 21 year old female, that has now been sucessfully physically recovered from anoreixa for a few months and obtained my pre anorexic weight, being a BMI of 20/1, from my lowest BMI of 13. This discussion really is just for anyone, who is recovered physically, and how, if any, their anoreixa still affects them.

As it stands although i eat my 2000 calories a day, i still am nervous around food where the content is unclear and particually takeaway foods. Before i was anorexic i was able to maintain my weight with little to no exercise on average day with a 3000 calorie diet as measured out by my nutritionist. Having 1000 calories in drinks (sugary brews), 200 in breakfast, 400 at lunch, 1200 calories in dinner, and the rest in snacks/desserts. However now i maintain on a 2000 calorie diet.

I was just wondering how peoples eating patterns have returned over the years, if you ever stop needing to know about calories, if your worry over foods ever leaves and generally return to a life before you became ill. Futhermore, one for the girls, periods... Mine still hasn't appeared i was just wondering on other peoples experiences and time scales on this returning.

Any advice, stories are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I am a "recovered" anorexic I guess you could say. About the periods... Obviously after gaining some more weight I still didn't get mine. I ended up going on birth control pill and it returned. I was 18. I'm not sure if it was actually the pill or a combo with the weight gain. I haven't had any issues since. I've gotten off the pill and back on after my daughter was born. Anyway, I still deal with the thoughts, just not as extreme. I have had some binge eating issues, but they are always when I try to restrict too much. It's like a little wake up call... Hey do it the healthy way! It's something I will deal with life long. I just have some better tools now to deal with it.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to congratulate you both on your recoveries and wish you all the best in the future.

p.s the period you get with the pill is, to quote my GP, a "fake period". I'm not criticising, I just thought I'd over that tidbit.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am definitely on the other end of the weight issues, but commend you for your bravery and openness.

Back when I was a binge eater, I tried to hide it as far from anyone as I could.

I'd say for me it's all about knowing my body/triggers as far as foods/emotional stuff.

• MemiJones
    MemiJones Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started recovery from Bulimia a little over a year ago, I know it's not the same disorder but I thought I'd pitch in anyways. It took nearly a year for my period to come back and was very irregular at first. I still struggle every day trying to learn how to eat normally. I was sick for a little over 6 years, so it comes as first nature to act disordered. After two days of eating really badly I had a full on panic attack this morning thinking about leaving the house. I think this will affect me for the rest of my life, I just hope to do a little better every day. Recovery is one of the hardest things I've done.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    I just wanted to congratulate you both on your recoveries and wish you all the best in the future.

p.s the period you get with the pill is, to quote my GP, a "fake period". I'm not criticising, I just thought I'd over that tidbit.

You still ovulate. That isn't fake.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

The pill prevents ovulation, doesn't it?
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »

The pill prevents ovulation, doesn't it?

Yup, but let's not overdo it with facts. Might confuse folks
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    MemiJones wrote: »
    I started recovery from Bulimia a little over a year ago, I know it's not the same disorder but I thought I'd pitch in anyways. It took nearly a year for my period to come back and was very irregular at first. I still struggle every day trying to learn how to eat normally. I was sick for a little over 6 years, so it comes as first nature to act disordered. After two days of eating really badly I had a full on panic attack this morning thinking about leaving the house. I think this will affect me for the rest of my life, I just hope to do a little better every day. Recovery is one of the hardest things I've done.

Hi do you really want to get under 105? You honestly don't look like you need to loose any weight. Your very tall and loosing that much would be quite unhealthy. Just concerned. :smile:
  • mollyBirchall
    mollyBirchall Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyones advice, Its just much harder than i realised, being ill is hard, but getting better, the night sweats, hair falling out, being constantly hungry and the inability to focus on anything but food. Its just hard trying so much to get better, then being physically a good weight but still knowing you arent the you you was before it.