Gaining lbs with high calories and low sodium!

Options
i don't really have it in my schedule to snack all day. But I can do 3 -6 meals a day. Pre-planned that is. I'm finding it very difficult to get the calories I need without going over my 2300mg cap on sodium. I have allowed myself leeway with monounsaturated fats but if I could keep those out of my diet as well I would like to or at least no more than 4g and no more than 2g polyunsaturated fats as well.

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Are you sodium sensitive or otherwise on a medical restriction for sodium? If not don't worry too much about exceeding the cap. Also, why are you restricting fats so heavily? Are you on a low fat diet?
  • ZacharyClason
    ZacharyClason Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat as many whole foods as I can. Sticking to mostly organic foods. Processed foods are usually what contain the fats and salts that make me break out terribly!! I'm not worried about fats so much as I am saturated fats.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Then whole foods are the way to go since you'll minimize your sodium intake if you do, as long prep your own foods. You'll be sticking mostly to a plant based diet if you want to avoid saturated fats. You are military so I think it's time to talk to a dietitian on base.

Best of luck to you.
  • ZacharyClason
    ZacharyClason Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Try dark chocolate. High calories, low sodium.
  • Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What does an average day of eating look like? If you want to eat clean and gain weight then you simply have to eat more.

Add in an extra 100 calories per meal (if you're doing 6 meals a day) and see if you notice a change after a week or two.

If not then double that!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    What does an average day of eating look like? If you want to eat clean and gain weight then you simply have to eat more.

Add in an extra 100 calories per meal (if you're doing 6 meals a day) and see if you notice a change after a week or two.

If not then double that!

That is an extra 600 calories a day. A bit much if you ask me.
    I'm with wheelhouse, just prep most of your food, and avoid things out of packages.
    Also, if you want to give your food some extra flavor look into some salt free spice mixes :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

If not then double that!

That is an extra 600 calories a day. A bit much if you ask me.
    I'm with wheelhouse, just prep most of your food, and avoid things out of packages.
    Also, if you want to give your food some extra flavor look into some salt free spice mixes :)

Also, you can make your own spice mixes if you can't find something you like. My go to is garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and cumin.