What motivates you? Increases willpower?

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Focus on behavioral goals, not weight loss goals. You can control what you eat and how much you exercise. Your body will respond in due time to whatever you do with it.

Know that weight fluctuates naturally from day to day, regardless of real fat loss or gain. It takes 3500 calories to lose or gain a pound of fat.

Do not rely on willpower. Willpower is a limited resource. Set yourself up for success by removing temptations and triggers. Plan your meals. Write a shopping list, take it with you, and follow it. Eat before grocery shopping. Leave the kids at home, or if they are old enough, give them tasks (find a vegetable and a fruit they want to try).

Do not deprive yourself. Eat at a moderate deficit. Do not cut out any foods unless your doctor has told you otherwise, and eat what you love, but make sure treats are treated as treats.

Get moving, but don't overdo it. Find out what you like to do.

Create a support system. Involve your loved ones, but do not expect them to change their lifestyle for you.

Realise that a lifestyle change is indeed for life. Improving and then falling back to bad habits will not help much. Make those habits stick because you like them. We can do lots of unpleasant things for a while, but in the end we will do what we like. If you have found a healthy way to do what you like, you are a winner.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Focus on behavioral goals, not weight loss goals. You can control what you eat and how much you exercise. Your body will respond in due time to whatever you do with it.

Know that weight fluctuates naturally from day to day, regardless of real fat loss or gain. It takes 3500 calories to lose or gain a pound of fat.

Do not rely on willpower. Willpower is a limited resource. Set yourself up for success by removing temptations and triggers. Plan your meals. Write a shopping list, take it with you, and follow it. Eat before grocery shopping. Leave the kids at home, or if they are old enough, give them tasks (find a vegetable and a fruit they want to try).

Do not deprive yourself. Eat at a moderate deficit. Do not cut out any foods unless your doctor has told you otherwise, and eat what you love, but make sure treats are treated as treats.

Get moving, but don't overdo it. Find out what you like to do.

Create a support system. Involve your loved ones, but do not expect them to change their lifestyle for you.

Realise that a lifestyle change is indeed for life. Improving and then falling back to bad habits will not help much. Make those habits stick because you like them. We can do lots of unpleasant things for a while, but in the end we will do what we like. If you have found a healthy way to do what you like, you are a winner.

+1

Make small incremental lifelong sustainable changes in what you eat as well as how much.

So that by the time goal is reached & maint is here, it's a seamless transition to the rest of your life because there is NO END TO MAINT! :D

Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    sign up for a race, something that is just outside your comfort zone. not a runner? sign up for a 5k. kind of a runner and can make it through a 5k with some difficulty? do a half marathon, or an obstacle course race.

october is 12 weeks away, which is perfect time to train for a race. it's great to have something to do, and a greater reason to get out of bed to train and work hard and eat right.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    For me it has been a process. When I was diagnosed with prediabetes the process began by making small changes. My divorce and then marrying my second husband who, at the time said he wanted to travel provided more incentive. The birth of my first grandchild added to the motivation. I want to be healthy enough to see her and, now, her sister grow; and to be healthy enough to enjoy doing things with the two of them and any additional grandchildren that might come along. I still dream of traveling but that dream seems to be put on permanent hold.
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    To be clear, if not crass, I enjoy the company of attractive women. No matter what women tell you, LOOKS MATTER.

It's true- but what people in general like may suprise you. My husband is 10 years older than me, grey all over, extreamly hairy back, bald, short and sometimes has a bit of a belly. I think he's the sexiest man alive! (I really do)

Do you have any sisters with the same exceptional tastes in men cuz I rock that look.
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Making really short term goals: today I'm sticking to the plan... logging in everything on MFP... taking that walk.

I can have that piece of cake (or ice cream or cookies or chips) anytime I want it but I'm in charge here and I'm choosing "not now", so I'll have a really juicy pear or something else that I love with some nutritional value. Feels empowering!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    This might sound kind of twisted, but if I feel lazy, I watch something like Hoarders or My 600 Pound Life and that gets me right up off my butt and into the gym or doing housework.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Enjoyment and happiness.

I enjoy the exercise that I do and they have different benefits. Running is meditation. Cycling is time for myself or catching up with friends. Weights are stress relief.

Cooking and eating home cooked meals made with fresh ingredients which taste amazing with friends and family is a joy.

It's not hard to succeed when you like the life you are living...
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    At first I was motivated by health problems and pain. Now 111 lbs later it's definitely a habit (healthy lifestyle) but I'm continually motivated by staying healthy and flexible into old age. I'm 49 yrs old now, and I want to be feeling good and healthy 20-30 years from now. Time flies by so fast, so you have to be proactive with your health. The old saying that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" are words to live by.
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    This might sound kind of twisted, but if I feel lazy, I watch something like Hoarders or My 600 Pound Life and that gets me right up off my butt and into the gym or doing housework.

Me too! Extreme weight loss is another one and those motivated me to get going in the 1st place! Not twisted at all and hey, if it is who cares? If not for some of that I'd still be on my ample butt as my own health went down the tubes.