how many calories do you burn at the gym?

Options
I try to burn over 600 each trip to the gym... if i don't hit 500 i feel like i wasted my time... even though i know even 100 calories would make a difference!

Replies

• Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    About 200-400... I'm usually in and out less then an hour since I just joined back up two weeks ago,I don't want to burn my self out just yet
  • Linnleex3
    Linnleex3 Posts: 20
    Options
    I usually burn about 300-600 each time. But I don't like to exceed and push myself too far, my body has limits and I don't intend to find them quite yet. :smile:
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    depends what im doing when there :)

if i go to a class its anywhere between 270-400 in 40 mins or if i go and use the cardio machines and do weights for about an hour I can burn up to 600. I track everything with my hrm :)
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    usually close to 500, but I always try to aim for at least 300.
  • katijjane
    katijjane Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    normally around 300
  • ageros
    ageros Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Its hard to say, according to the machine its usually around 200, but I do HIIT, so I end up burning more later, and I don't know of any way to track that.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    In an hour - no cardio machines - 500....
  • sshap21712
    sshap21712 Posts: 139
    Options
    Right now I'm trying to lose weight very quickly, so I try to burn about 1000. Pretty soon I'll reach my goal weight and probably cut that in half.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    depends on what i am doing that day, and who long i have to spend there
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    A thousand calories at a gym? Oh goodness.

I usually try to aim for at least 500, but I'm going to try and up that to 700.
  • skinnyjeans13
    skinnyjeans13 Posts: 179
    Options
    Depends how much I actually need to burn to hit the right amount of net calories for the day, but I usually go for 300 cals and that's usually done in 30 mins of elliptical (lazy, lazy elliptical.)
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    In my strength training class on T & Ths I burn 450 calories in 45 minutes,

Cardio on worknights I burn around 710 calories in 60 minutes.
    Weekend/ morning cardio I burn 900-1150 calores in 75-90 minutes.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    At the moment, only about 300 but once my asthma is more controlled I'll be aiming for 500 once a week and 300 the rest. I just don't have the time to burn more than 300 every time I go!

Edit: I usually spend about 30 mins on cardio machines and the rest doing weights and stretching. Although it is intervals I do on the machines so apparently I burn more calories later too.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Most of my (30-minute) gym time is spent on running and walking, and I usually burn around 350 calories. I'm halfway through the NHS Couch to 5K program, and I expect I'll be breaking past 400 calories pretty regularly soon. I'd like to do more, but I decided I would follow this program through 'til I'm running for 30 minutes at a stretch, so I can confidently feel like I'm "in shape".
  • flewill2000
    Options
    I normally try and do a brisk walk that will burn abt 500 calories but I will start to increase that to 700
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Today I burned 703 cals but usually try to aim at 600-650. When I started in April I was burning about 300 cals.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    normally i feel like a let down if i don't hit 1000cals a day...BUT it's not healthy to maintain because i can't eat nearly enough back, so i'm trying to relax about my amounts and just do what i have time to do
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Today I burned 703 cals but usually try to aim at 600-650. When I started in April I was burning about 300 cals.

when i started i was only burning about 130 before feeling like i was going to die!! Isn't it amazing what we can accomplish!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Usually around 300-600 doing 40-75 minutes of Circuit Weight Training (cardio & strength training knocked out in one fell swoop, yay!) every other day.

Just recently I started following that up with 20-45 minutes of "cardio" (walking 3.4-3.8mph on a 4.0-5.0 incline) to burn an additional 100-300 and target fat loss since I'm within the last 11lbs.

I work out 2-4x a week.

Just recently I've blamed my plateau on MFP/machines overestimating my burn at the gym (I'm religious about documenting calories in, measuring everything short of using an actual food scale). So until my HRM arrives, I'm only eating 50% back; but I totally believe in eating all exercise cals back if they are accurate (as with an HRM).