4 lb weight gain in a day

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    twink9223 wrote: »
    Will poeple not jump to conclusions that in starving myself please 1200 cal aday for a person of my height and weight is healthy

You are going to hate losing these next 30 pounds.
  • twink9223
    twink9223 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sweetpea03b I tend to hit a plateu every time I lose a stone but after a few weeks I start losing again
  • twink9223
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Will poeple not jump to conclusions that in starving myself please 1200 cal aday for a person of my height and weight is healthy

Why? I ejoyed losing the 1st 30
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Why? I ejoyed losing the 1st 30

You will see 1200 calories starting to stall out and then what is your plan?
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Don't panic! Trust the process. If you are eating healthy foods in a calorie deficit for your body's requirements, you WILL lose weight. It will fluctuate up and down, but the trend will be in a downward direction.

If your weight goes up and continues to go up over a period of time, you will need to re-examine what you are eating.

If you have been losing at a rapid pace (more than 1-2 lbs. per week) please remember that is not sustainable! It may be very encouraging on the emotional end of things, but as you approach your ideal weight, the rate of loss WILL slow down and you will hit plateaus. Don't let that discourage you. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Sweetpea03b I tend to hit a plateu every time I lose a stone but after a few weeks I start losing again
    With an increased metabolism, you haven't found yourself getting more hungry between meals or feeling like you need to eat a little bit more per meal?

1200 calories is pushing the minimum of what the body needs to function properly on a day to day basis. That number doesn't take in to consideration one's age, current fitness level and health or workout regime etc. The 1200 calories is not static nor is it written in stone.

It is great that you are trying to better yourself in many ways. Be careful though, that you don't hurt yourself internally. Damage can occur without you feeling untoward right away. It would be a good idea to consult with a licensed Sports Nutritionist.

I wish you well on your journey.
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Multiple things, especially salt, can cause a temporary spike in your weight. It's always disheartening when that happens, but the good part is that some other day you'll get back on the scale and suddenly that weight will be gone.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is like a roller coaster. You will constantly go up and down, but the overall trend over time should be down. Scale weight depends on many factors including sodium in your system, hormones, poop and pee that haven't been eliminated through normal bodily functions yet, exercise and many, many other things.

Do not look at your day to day weigh-ins as a measure of success. You are likely to get extremely frustrated if you do. Look at the overall trend over time - lots of time! I've lost a total of 94 pounds so far, but if my weight loss graph was a roller coaster, it would make you sick with all the ups and downs!

As someone mentioned above, 1 pounds of fat equals 3500 calories. So to gain 4 pounds over night, you would have had to eat 14,000 calories ABOVE your maintenance level. If you didn't do that, you didn't gain 4 pounds and it is likely just water weight.
  • Guy04
    Guy04 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I need to see your diary to give you an accurate response ! I seem to lose weight consistently when I prepare my meals,on days that I eat out I either gain or stay the same weight for a day or two.anyway don't panic, just stay on course !
  • karendurrant2
    karendurrant2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    increase your protein intake and have 3 small snacks and 3 meals everyday, you MUST INCLUDE PROTEIN with every snack and meal, this simple thing will increase your weight loss but everyone stalls every now and then so tough it out!
  • yopeeps025
    edited July 2015
    Options
    increase your protein intake and have 3 small snacks and 3 meals everyday, you MUST INCLUDE PROTEIN with every snack and meal, this simple thing will increase your weight loss but everyone stalls every now and then so tough it out!

Outdated information like this is wrong. Meal timing does not increase metabolism.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options

This 'simple thing' WON'T increase your weight loss. Protein leaves most people filling fuller for longer so you aren't tempted to snack as much, but it does not 'increase weight loss' in the way that you are insinuating it does. I see that's your first ever post. Welcome to the forums.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Sometimes you'll go weeks without losing weight and then lose several lbs overnight. Two days ago I was 147 now I'm 143. :)
  • LessofPenny
    LessofPenny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    without seeing your diary/work out..... I would say take into consider a few things..... monthly cycle? not enough calories? Too much salt? Muscle weights more than fat, time of day exactly the same? constipated....this is a big one.... maybe a natural cleanse from the health food store would give you the boost that you need. And Of course, what everyone else said.... Oh and don't get discouraged.... and get lots of rest.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    without seeing your diary/work out..... I would say take into consider a few things..... monthly cycle? not enough calories? Too much salt? Muscle weights more than fat, time of day exactly the same? constipated....this is a big one.... maybe a natural cleanse from the health food store would give you the boost that you need. And Of course, what everyone else said.... Oh and don't get discouraged.... and get lots of rest.

The OP isn't gaining muscle on a 1200 calorie diet, especially being a female. Second, cleanses do not do anything. If the OP is constipated then a probiotic would be ideal. But a cleanse is just a laxative. And your body will naturally cleanse itself.

OP, there are many factors, like others eluded to, that will affect weight loss. If you have a lot of sodium in your diet, than eating foods high in magnesium and potassium can help offset the effects. Also, if you just started and saw 1 lb per day, its mainly water weight lost. It's common and will taper. At your weight 1 lb per week is ideal. Realistically, I would worry more about body composition (lean body mass vs fat mass) than weight itself. This means having a smaller deficit, resistance training and higher protein numbers (about 1g per lb of lean body mass or about .8g per lb of weight) can help you achieve this.

Generally, most of us wouldn't suggest a 1200 calorie diet as it is harder to get your required nutrients to maintain your muscle mass, let alone sustain a healthy body. And LCD can lead to increase metabolic adaptation (a slowing of the metabolism) to compensate for the late of calories.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

on a 1200 calorie deficit? Building muscle mass ain't that easy.

A cleanse for what exactly?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Eating protein at every meal increases satiety for some people, but it certainly isn't required for weight loss.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Don't panic! Trust the process. If you are eating healthy foods in a calorie deficit for your body's requirements, you WILL lose weight. It will fluctuate up and down, but the trend will be in a downward direction.

If your weight goes up and continues to go up over a period of time, you will need to re-examine what you are eating.

If you have been losing at a rapid pace (more than 1-2 lbs. per week) please remember that is not sustainable! It may be very encouraging on the emotional end of things, but as you approach your ideal weight, the rate of loss WILL slow down and you will hit plateaus. Don't let that discourage you. Slow and steady wins the race!
    If she still gaining it's because she is in a surplus, has nothing to do with what she is eating. CI/CO, you know science. ;)

OP do weigh your solid foods and measure liquids only?

• twink9223
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments,weighed in this morning and straight back to were I was before the gain so must have been water weight
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments,weighed in this morning and straight back to were I was before the gain so must have been water weight

High sodium days can increase water retention.