question about running : )

Options
hello everyone! I just joined MFP last week although I have been "dieting" for the past several months. I am a runner, typically I run 2-4 miles at a time. Exercise is the easy part for me. I can run or do an hour of Zumba even when I am not trying to loose weight. I just really enjoy it. My issue is when I am trying to loose weight. I have the hardest time sticking to a low calorie plan because the more active I am the more I want to eat (and eat and eat and EAT!) Right now I have traded in running for walking because I have not been able to maintain my diet. Any tips as to how to merge my running with my dieting would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• divajj107
    divajj107 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi athan, I'm in the same boat! I would love to hear any responses...
  • sahlah
    sahlah Posts: 52
    Options
    I am by no means an expert...however, you should be eating your calories that you burn. If you put in your food and exercise in MFP then your calories will be adjusted.
  • beckbeck
    beckbeck Posts: 31
    Options
    Same for me! I know we're supposed to eat back our exercise calories so that affords us more to eat but I want to eat MORE when I exercise a lot!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    im a runner and quite fit. Im also losing weight at a good pace and have recently reached my goal.

yes, I am hungry too with more exercise, but I still lose weight. I have tried to view your diary but it is locked - i strongly suspect that the TYPES of food and TIMES OF DAY you are eating them is causing your body to need nutrients it is not getting, so it is telling you this by making you hungry.

Happy to look at your diary and give better advice if you can unlock it.
  • kkuhly
    kkuhly Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing a low carb diet instead? It is based around healthy protein, fats and carbs. I usually try to make 20% of my calories healthy carbs, 30% healthy fats and 50% healthy proteins. The proteins keep you fuller longer and wll give you the energy you need for your 2-4 mile runs without draining all of your energy and leaving you ravenous. You can alter your calorie percentages by going under your goals and manually changing your percentages. If you net 1400 cals a day you will probably be around 90 carbs a day. It is not an extreme diet, but it is enough to kick your body in the right direction! Good luck and I hope this helps!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    The more you run, the more you need to eat to keep the energy level up. However, your food choices need to be smart.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm new to running and what I'm doing is eating more filling foods and natural foods. I know that sounds simple but it seems to work for me. I always make sure I have these staples on hand: bananas (which are good before and after a workout), raw almonds, low fat milk, all-bran cereal, lots of chicken, cheese and beans (black beans, kidney beans), barley and lots of veggies and fruit. I try to have veggies/fruit at everymeal. You'll also need to make sure you get enough protien in your diet. I find if I eat processed meals (like the ones you put in the microwave) I'm more hungry. I don't know if this helps. Good luck.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up so that you should be eating in correlation to your exercise level- So on a day with no exercise you should be eating 1300-1500 calories total, but on a day when you run or do zumba, you will be eating closer to 1700-2000 or more. All of your calories are based on NET calories (if you look at your home page you will see GOAL FOOD-EXERCISE=NET, you should be trying to eat enough so that your net calories equal your GOAL everyday).

I hope this helps!
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've totally struggled with this too. I am always able to maintain my weight while running (4-5 miles per day), but it is difficult for me to lose weight because I eat more! But, I've been working on it the last month or so, and I've come to some conclusions:

1) We as a culture kind of treat running as one of the ultimate signs of fitness, but it doesn't burn tons of calories! In fact, as you get better at it, your body gets used to it, and burns less. When I ran track our coach would remind us to only eat a bit more than normal, because you often think that you burn more calories than you do.

2) Eat a small, healthy meal or snack about an hour and a half before running. My favorites: banana with 1 tbsp peanut butter, wheat toast with peanut butter, 5 triscuits with 1/2 cup cottage cheese and some carrots. This makes me not too full or too hungry when I am going on my run.

3) When I get back, my endorphins keep me from being hungry for an hour or so. Therefore, at the hour mark, I eat another protein and complex carb snack to keep my blood sugar level tempered.

I have found that when I don't deprive myself before and after my run, I am less hungry later in the day. This coupled with my knowledge of my cardiac output keep me from overeating.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Same for me! I know we're supposed to eat back our exercise calories so that affords us more to eat but I want to eat MORE when I exercise a lot!

Are you eating adequately BEFORE you workout? A lot of people react differently to actual activity - some become adverse to eating food and have a hard time eating back their cals, others become ravenous. In both cases, it appears to me, that it can be off set by proper fueling of the workout- eating bigger meals throughout the day, especially concentrating on fiber and protein.
  • Britt59
    Britt59 Posts: 25
    Options
    Try to eat things with more proteine, that fills you up and helps with your meatabo, before you start your day walking or running be sure and eat a little something with proteine..like 100% wheat toast with melted chadder cheese...that will give you your energy for exercise and raise your meatbo..and watch your carbs during the day drink lots water.
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    that's what I needed. Ideas of what exact foods help! All good stuff! thanks:happy:
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    @ LauraJo08 GREAT information! That makes a lot of sense.