logging rice??

Options
So I've been eating white rice, but logging it is difficult, I only seem to find 2 types, dry white rice by the gram, and cooked white rice by the cup.. is there not one that is cooked by the gram? I understand it's probably not as scientifically accurate as dry by the gram, but its much more realistic because I batch cook rice and dont ever know how much I'm gonna eat till the actual meal...but by the cup isn't accurate enough for my liking.

Replies

• KillRKit
    KillRKit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One cup of cooked white rice is 158 grams (according to several sites) I just use the one cup entry and know personally that I have weighed out the grams.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    What you can do is weigh and batch cook the dry rice and separate it into equal baggies once it's cooked with the calorie count labeled on it. That's how I do it. The reason why you may not see a gram value for cooked rice is that we have no idea how much water would be soaked into the rice depending on your method of cooking, type of rice, etc.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Weigh it dry as you cook it, and create a recipe for it. It has to have 2 ingredients, so even just rice/broth or rice/salt (if you use water) will work. Weigh the amount dry that you put in, and then weigh the whole amount cooked at the end, and use the cooked grams as the number of servings in the recipe.

For example, if you make a batch of rice (numbers made up) that is 100g white rice, uncooked, and 2 c chicken broth, and the final product is 300 grams cooked, build your recipe based on the weights of the ingredients and set the number of servings as 300 servings. Then weigh out what you want, say 150 g of cooked rice, and log it as 150 servings.

If you use the same type of rice and the same ingredients for each batch, you really won't have to tweak the recipe in the future - just weigh out your portion and log it as that many servings.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Cooked weight will be inaccurate because who knows how much water it absorbed during cooking.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Can you weigh it dry or are you buying those bags where it's already cooked and you just heat it up?
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    There is a USDA entry for 'Rice, white, long-grain, regular, cooked, unenriched, with salt' (also entries for without salt, enriched etc.) that has both 1 cup and 100g as options.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Weigh it dry as you cook it, and create a recipe for it. It has to have 2 ingredients, so even just rice/broth or rice/salt (if you use water) will work. Weigh the amount dry that you put in, and then weigh the whole amount cooked at the end, and use the cooked grams as the number of servings in the recipe.

For example, if you make a batch of rice (numbers made up) that is 100g white rice, uncooked, and 2 c chicken broth, and the final product is 300 grams cooked, build your recipe based on the weights of the ingredients and set the number of servings as 300 servings. Then weigh out what you want, say 150 g of cooked rice, and log it as 150 servings.

If you use the same type of rice and the same ingredients for each batch, you really won't have to tweak the recipe in the future - just weigh out your portion and log it as that many servings.

I highly recommend this method--for anything that you cook yourself and don't eat all at once. I learned about it here on the MFP boards and it has been a total sanity saver! :smile:
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    So I've been eating white rice, but logging it is difficult, I only seem to find 2 types, dry white rice by the gram, and cooked white rice by the cup.. is there not one that is cooked by the gram? I understand it's probably not as scientifically accurate as dry by the gram, but its much more realistic because I batch cook rice and dont ever know how much I'm gonna eat till the actual meal...but by the cup isn't accurate enough for my liking.

Things like this I weigh the dry product, then weigh after cooking. So, 40g of rice after cooking might weigh 80g (keeping the number simple here). I'll stick a postit on my container with the dry serving weight multiplied by the dry serving weight. If a serving is 10g, I'll write "serving = 20g".

If my weighed portion of cooked rice for a meal is 30g, then I can simply divide 30g/20g = 1.5. My log in MFP is then 1.5 servings dry rice.

In cases where I cook in a container (like a casserole dish) I weigh the dish before putting anything in it, then weigh again with the uncooked ingredients in it. I can weigh the finished product afterward and subtract out the dish.

They sound a little complex at first but do it one or two times and it becomes second nature.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Weight it dry. Calories for cooked rice will have more-than-usual error margins because so much depends on how and for how long it was cooked.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    KillRKit wrote: »
    One cup of cooked white rice is 158 grams (according to several sites) I just use the one cup entry and know personally that I have weighed out the grams.

Thanks - my 1/2 C cooked weighs 75 grams so what I'm doing is close enough.

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Weighing it before I cook it isn't very accurate either, because I never know how much of it is stuck to the bottom of the rice cooker.