What has helped you be most successful?

Options
I've tried MFP several times over the last few years, but this is the longest I've ever stuck with it (3 weeks and down around 5 lbs)! What made me successful this time was making friends and discovering the forums. What in your life or MFP has helped you be successful?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Patience, consistency & a food scale.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Patience and leaving emotion out of it. And a food scale.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    ^This. I have still a long long way to go but this time I am so motivated that I have not let any negative experiences to hold me back .

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My Synthroid, first and foremost.

Cleaning up my diet.

Exercise.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Patience and leaving emotion out of it. And a food scale.

Same, on all points.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    food scale+ the end game that while take a long time
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

getting a food scale was a big thing for me too! I used to make sure I had at least an extra 100 calorie deficit because I had no idea how much food I was actually eating. My food scale is probably the best $10 I ever spent... even if my boyfriend thinks it makes me look like a drug dealer lol
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Consistency.
  • clarelara24
    clarelara24 Posts: 27 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Definitely patience. Also smaller portions and more fruit instead of snacks like chocolate and crisps. Still have days off though :-)
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Taking responsibility and accountability for my actions, measuring and logging all my food, planning and cooking my own meals. Using MFP.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Everything that was said above - especially consistency and a food scale! But also, keeping in mind that this is a lifestyle change, and that with life comes exceptions and special events... learning to not beat myself up over slip-ups was the hardest part for me...
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    A food scale and my treadmill.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Kids.
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Everything that was said above - especially consistency and a food scale! But also, keeping in mind that this is a lifestyle change, and that with life comes exceptions and special events... learning to not beat myself up over slip-ups was the hardest part for me...

THIS! Allowing yourself to mess up sometimes is a big deal, at least for me. As someone on another thread said "If you get a flat you wouldn't get out and slash the other three tires"!
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've learned to absolutely love exercise. I don't love to diet, but the exercise I do motivates me to stay within my calorie goal.

Also, I want to be healthy, not just skinny.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Thea519 wrote: »
    I've learned to absolutely love exercise. I don't love to diet, but the exercise I do motivates me to stay within my calorie goal.

Also, I want to be healthy, not just skinny.

Same here! I don't want to waste all those calories burned on stupid stuff that could negate my deficit!
  • TerraRoberts24
    TerraRoberts24 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Exercise and realizing that I don't have to starve myself to be healthy and in shape. Once I figured that out, I have been so happy. I can eat so much, as long as I stick to my calories, and still maintain or lose. So that's helped me a lot. Also, keeping a food journal daily has helped immensely.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Limiting how often I eat out. I eat much better and more safely (I'm a celiac) at home than I ever could in a restaurant.

Reading a lot on diet and nutrition helps a lot. Most doctors don't help with weight and nutrition, so I needed to educate myself on what (I consider to be) a healthy WOE.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think the major themes have been covered sufficiently, but I would add the one thing that helped me down the path of 'lifestyle change' was when faced with choices, asking myself 'is this a choice I can live with for the rest of my life?'

- Give up chocolate? Nope
    - Exercise daily? Yep
    - Forego holiday/birthday celebrations? Nope
    - Weigh my food? Yep
    - etc.