Morning Workouts

Options
dro6632
dro6632 Posts: 14 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
The summer heat is making me feel super tired and I find myself taking naps after work instead of working out. Because of this, I'm wanting to switch to morning workouts prior to going to work. Any tips for getting out of bed and hitting the gym first thing in the morning?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 am to get my workout in. The first few weeks it was so tough, now 3.5 months in it's so much easier. What helped me was getting in bed early (10 pm), making sure my workout stuff was all together in one place and easy to grab and just getting up to do it. No hitting the snooze button, no being lazy. I like getting it out of the way first thing in the morning.
  • jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Get EVERYTHING ready the night before.. Gym clothes laid out, real clothes packed in the bag, lunch in a bag in the fridge, whatever you do for breakfast as laid out as possible.... if you do all this, you can be successful. When I don't do that, I use it as an excuse not to get out of bed... like 'I overslept by 5 minutes, so now I can't go to the gym b/c I don't have time to pack my bag and lunch".
  • shaye8999
    shaye8999 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 am to get my workout in. The first few weeks it was so tough, now 3.5 months in it's so much easier. What helped me was getting in bed early (10 pm), making sure my workout stuff was all together in one place and easy to grab and just getting up to do it. No hitting the snooze button, no being lazy. I like getting it out of the way first thing in the morning.

I am also having trouble getting up and motivated in the mornings. I have not thought about getting everything ready the night before. That is a great idea.
    Do you guys feel better at work, or throughout the day when you wake up early and work out? Mentally do you feel more awake throughout the day?
  • ATL_Geiger
    ATL_Geiger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For me it was just a matter of making the decision to do it. After I wake up, I drink a bunch of water and get straight to my workout. Done in about an hour. Eat breakfast and shower. Feel 100%. It's great.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    shaye8999 wrote: »

I am also having trouble getting up and motivated in the mornings. I have not thought about getting everything ready the night before. That is a great idea.
    Do you guys feel better at work, or throughout the day when you wake up early and work out? Mentally do you feel more awake throughout the day?

The first couple of weeks were rough! Then gradually I noticed how much more energy I have throughout the whole day. I used to get the 2 p.m. slump, really sleepy and groggy, but now that doesn't happen anymore. I'm more awake than I can remember in a long time. My mental energy level is so much higher. Another thing I like about it is I sleep so much better through the night. I used to suffer from insomnia, where it would take me about an hour to fall asleep. Now I'm asleep in about 5 minutes! I love it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I feel way better than I would if I were mad at myself all day for being too lazy to get up and do what needed to be done.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:40 and leave my house at 5:15 to get to the gym near my work. Like a previous poster said, I get everything ready the night before. I get straight up when the alarm goes off, chug some water on my night stand, wash my face/brush my teeth, put on gym clothes/grab bag with work clothes already packed, turn on my kuerig while I fill up a little Tupperware thing with dry cereal, grab everything and drink coffee/eat 1/4 cup cereal on the 20 minute drive.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym for a morning work out but I've made a habit of doing a quick 20 minute burn at my house the moment I wake up. I would agree to make sure your stuff is ready the night before (clothes/food items, etc). Don't think about it, just put on your workout clothes and go. Really after a while it will just become a new habit and it will seem normal :smile:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I did it by making myself do it. I read a really long post someone made here and it convinced me to start. I do the same thing every morning unless it's storming. Wake, pee, feed cat, take pill, dress and walk to the 7/11, buy water, walk back, swim, shower, eat. (Sometimes I eat before I swim.)

The first day I planned to do it, I forgot, lol. But then I began and hated it for a while. Now, it's just what I do. Sometimes I am eager to pop out of bed and walk. Other times I'm all "Ugh. I don't wanna. I could skip one day. One day won't kill me." But I know that if I skip a day, it could turn into two and three and forty. There is no good reason to skip, so I don't.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I love morning workouts! In the previous town where I lived, there was a two-mile track in a park that opened at 5:00 am. I went there every day. Moved, and ultimately joined the Y. Was there every morning at 5:00 am. In both places, I live(d) close enough to just come back home and be wherever I needed to be by 7:30.

BUT THEN I got an indoor dog . . . and I let that totally derail me! I have to leave him crated a good part of the day, and don't want to do so while I'm at the Y if I have a lot of places to work that day (I'm self-employed). However, that's still no excuse, as I have a perfectly good exerbike in my bedroom aimed at a television set. So as @kalikel said, I will make myself do the exerbike for at least half an hour or so every morning until it's time to walk my dog. Thanks OP and Kalikel for making me face my fears!
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Just get up and do it for a week. Drink 16 ounces of water as soon as you wake up. I find that helps me alot. You will see that you have more energy during the day and more time at the end of the day to do other things. Oh, and lots of espresso helps. :)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Go to bed before 10.
  • atypicalsmith
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just get up and do it for a week. Drink 16 ounces of water as soon as you wake up. I find that helps me alot. You will see that you have more energy during the day and more time at the end of the day to do other things. Oh, and lots of espresso helps. :)

Just make sure you weigh yourself after you pee and before you drink that 16 oz of water!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you plan on getting up an hour early, you need to be in bed an hour early. set an alarm with a motivating song instead of a buzzer.

lay out your clothes and gear the night before. all the stuff you generally do in the morning you should do at night. set up the coffee pot, pack your lunch, and prep your breakfast, make a shake, etc etc.

make it something seamless, not something you have to do in addition to everything else in the morning.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    @atypicalsmith You forgot Number 2 as well! :)
  • DanieRCC
    DanieRCC Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I make sure everything is ready to go the night before. I pile up my workout clothes in the bathroom (so I can go in there and get composed without waking my husband). I also joined a class that has an accountability system. This seems to be the kicker for me, if someone is waiting on me to be there, I better show up.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    @atypicalsmith You forgot Number 2 as well! :)

That doesn't come as easily as number one, usually only after drinking diet Coke, which has more ounces than poop! Most people drink coffee - same thing!!!
  • darlinbm45
    darlinbm45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am and go to bed at 8pm. Im way to tired to workout after work, so I choose am workouts. However, I have a set up at my house. I tell myself to get up fat *kitten*, your not getting any younger. Seems to work
  • jlbrown1985
    jlbrown1985 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I recently started doing a.m. workouts. One big thing that has helped me was moving my alarm clock (A.K.A Phone) away from my nightstand so I have to get up to shut it off. I am less likely to hit snooze if I actually have to get up to turn the alarm off. I also get my clothes laid out the night before socks and all (truth be told I usually sleep in something I can workout in lol). I don't go to a gym in the a.m. I use dvds at home so I also make sure that I have my dvd in the dvd player and ready to hit play once I get my shoes on. I have thought about re-setting my alarm and going back to sleep on the couch for an hour on more than one occasion but I keep telling myself that if I can just make it through 3 weeks it'll be a habit, right?
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I love morning workouts, but I know sometimes the "bed gravity pull" is intense. I get everything ready the night before and I keep my workout clothes next to the bed. I get up get in them and go.