Losing weight too fast?

Options
I have been counting calories for less than a month and I'm down more than 8lbs. Granted, I had bronchitis for part of that time and on antibiotics. Looking back, I find that I exceed my daily calories more often than not (even when I was sick). So I'm concerned. Sure, I like losing weight, but I want it to be sustainable. I am only lightly active (desk job, housework). Should I adjust my daily calorie target upward?

Replies

• Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    averages out to 2lbs a week, thats a little high for my taste, but weight loss is quick in the beginning. how many calories are you eating?
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    8 lb. in a month is reasonable. But especially with the other factors you mentioned, after less than a month I wouldn't start worrying just yet.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    8 lbs in the FIRST month is perfectly normal. Many people lose a lot when they first begin changing the amount/way they eat. It will most likely slow down. Unless you are hungry or becoming light headed (which doesn't sound like it) there is no reason to up your calories. Keep at it!
  • marcae70
    marcae70 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is the max amount you should be losing so 8lbs a month is perfectly fine. Anything over that I would adjust my calorie intake.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with those above me; many people can drop several pounds first week of a new plan, so 8 lbs in a month, especially compounded by being sick, is definitely not unheard of, or even unlikely.

I would bet it tapers off to 2-3 lbs a month, especially since you're pretty close to your goal. Good Luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? Do you get your nutrients?

If I could lose 2 pounds a week, I would jump for joy and kiss a skunk.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    aletupe wrote: »
    I have been counting calories for less than a month and I'm down more than 8lbs. Granted, I had bronchitis for part of that time and on antibiotics. Looking back, I find that I exceed my daily calories more often than not (even when I was sick). So I'm concerned. Sure, I like losing weight, but I want it to be sustainable. I am only lightly active (desk job, housework). Should I adjust my daily calorie target upward?

Are you weighing all of your solid food with a food scale? I wonder if you are doing this daily and logging, considering that you say 'looking back' as if you weren't aware of caloric intake at the time.
  • Aceydeal
    Aceydeal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments/advice. I started out by not really trying to reduce my calorie intake. I just wanted to log what I was eating to be aware of how much I was consuming (especially when it came to snacks and alcohol). I have been logging calories diligently this entire time. I do not weigh my food, so I do have to make estimates for the homemade meals. I confess I still eat a lot of packaged items though, and those are easy to log by serving size. At least I'm keeping myself to one serving now :)
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    2 lb./week is the suggested max healthy rate. There are a number of factors to consider, which might result in a lower maximum based on your situation.

At least initially, you should be fine. Half of that loss is likely due to less water retention, if you started paying attention and tried to lower sodium intake. If you are generally leaner ( closer to goal weight ), low BMI ( lower BF % ), nursing, or generally feeling sluggish and without energy to perform day to day activities, you may want/need to adjust for a smaller deficit.

Make sure you're getting proper nutrition, eating enough to sustain your energy requirements, and getting at least 1200 calories a day unless medically supervised. Beyond that, any deficit which would result in a loss of 2lbs. or less a week should be biologically/metabolically safe.
  • MakingMyDreamsComeTrue2015
    Options
    Im down 10 lbs in about one month so I wouldn't be concerned about it if I were you. And when your sick, focus on you and your health. Don't worry about dieting or fitness.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    aletupe wrote: »

Just curious, how much weight total are you trying to lose?