Choosing Friends

Options
I guess this would be directed more toward people who have been using this for a while. Could I get some sage advice and or warnings about choosing friends on here. I have friend request and have just put them to the side...I guess it's one of those things where I am naturally a loner but I do want friends lol.

Replies

• KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I tend to accept anyone I know or recognise from specific threads, or if I see someone who seems to have a similar outlook to weight loss or similar goals/interests I'll add them. It's really down to how many friends you want and if you want them for moral support or to view their diary etc :)

At the end of the day most people on here are friendly and supportive, but there is the odd person that will add you purely to try and sell you something. I've had a few friend requests I've accepted and then been inundated with messages or seen constant status' from them about weight loss plans they have. If you're worried someone might try and drag you into a pyramid scheme just have a quick look on their profile, if there's nothing strange on there you can always accept and then unfriend them later :)
  • angel_minor18
    angel_minor18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you Krisi for your input :)
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Dont accept friend requests without a message. Most people say why they want to add you...even put a line in your profile about it to ward off skeevers.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I only accept friends who leave a message for me. If there is no message then I deny it.

Almost none of my friends ever comment on questions I post on my page. So friends can be pointless if you choose ones who don't pay any attention. Lol
  • angel_minor18
    angel_minor18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oh that's very good to know!!!! Thanks!
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I usually accept anyone who requests me if they include a message. If they don't, I accept, and they never say a word to me... deleted.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If someone looks like they have something to sell or has an unusually high friend count, I don't accept their request.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I usually accept everyone who sends me a request, regardless if they send a message or not. I then view their profile and posts. If you don't like what you see or they are inactive, you can always remove them as a friend.
  • mjenkins74mj
    mjenkins74mj Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    brandi712 wrote: »
    I usually accept everyone who sends me a request, regardless if they send a message or not. I then view their profile and posts. If you don't like what you see or they are inactive, you can always remove them as a friend.

X2.....
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I usually only accept requests that have messages. If you don't send a message, 95% of the time it is an auto-decline (even if we have mutuals). On the rare occasion you don't send a message and I accept, it is most likely because 1) we interacted on a friend's page/status or 2) we interacted in the forums and I can remember it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I only accept friends who leave a message for me. If there is no message then I deny it.

Almost none of my friends ever comment on questions I post on my page. So friends can be pointless if you choose ones who don't pay any attention. Lol

They wouldn't be 'friends' for long for me! I don't hoard friends, I like some communication with them!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I had a previous account & after I'd have about 10 friends, I couldn't keep up with all of them/their posts everyday & it'd seem like some became annoyed by this & then would unfriend me or they'd be judgmental of my profile/diary & not within a helpful constructive criticism/advice sort of way, so I've decided to not seek and/or accept friend requests & to keep my profile/diary private, this time; to avoid all of those unnecessary expectations, bias & stress.

So I'd rather just do my socializing, on the message boards because I can just read/post only 1 thing, if I please & then just leave, with no expectations of me; to keep coming back & to continue reading/posting.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I guess this would be directed more toward people who have been using this for a while. Could I get some sage advice and or warnings about choosing friends on here. I have friend request and have just put them to the side...I guess it's one of those things where I am naturally a loner but I do want friends lol.

Allot of people quit I think I have 1 friend that's actively been on the site for about 3 years everyone else comes and goes, then comes back and makes an awesome post about how they're back and going to crush it this time only to stop after 3-4 days again and never come back...
  • Raevynne
    Raevynne Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I keep an open mind on the requests myself BUT I have received messages from some who think this is eHarmony or Match.com. I've ignored those a messages. >:)
  • RisenRun
    RisenRun Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well this is a good thread. I sent a couple of friends requests, but did not leave a message, so I'm guessing that's why I never heard from them again. Thank you for the input.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Just remember when you accept FRs that this place also serves as part online dating site, so you may get random messages to flirt.

• TavistockToad
    Options
    Just remember when you accept FRs that this place also serves as part online dating site, so you may get random messages to flirt.

That only happens when I put up a bikini pic!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

This whole time I thought you were a dude. Let's see this bikini pic and I'll be sure to include a message with my FR when you post it.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

This whole time I thought you were a dude. Let's see this bikini pic and I'll be sure to include a message with my FR when you post it.

:laugh: