Tired of my own excuses

Options
I don't know if anyone is even going to read this and I don't really mind if you don't, this is more for me. I am tired of my own excuses that I make for myself. Why am I gaining weight so rapidly? It's because I eat complete crap and I do nothing about it. I only have myself to blame. I always use the excuse 'I'll start my diet tomorrow' so that means I pig out on everything I can get my hands on with the promise in mind that I'll do better tomorrow, but tomorrow never comes. So instead of vowing to start a diet TODAY, I am vowing to change my lifestyle TODAY, making better choices and get in some form of exercise everyday, even if it's walking for 30 min a day. Something is better than nothing. I will limit my calorie intake. I will drink more water and I will cut down on the amout of soda I drink! So here's to a new me and no more excuses!

Replies

• brettb97
    brettb97 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good luck,and I've been of the same philosophy!! So will stop the excuses and get down to serious weight loss, toning up and then who knows what :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Stick to the plan you have set.
  • blackbuddafly1
    blackbuddafly1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate to this. This is my millionth time restarting my diet,im currently on a 4 day streak. We can both do this :-)
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of 'stinkin' thinkin' is the best (first step) you can take, in my opinion. With a change in mindset, you will be able to move forward in a positive manner.

Start with just waking for 30 mins a day for 2 weeks. Walk at a leisurely, normal pace. After two weeks, add in running. You can jog for 30 seconds and then walk for 2 minutes. Slowly build up your run time while decreasing your walk time during your exercise days.

The main thing to remember is, time is more important than distance when you are beginning. Take your time and have fun working on the new you.
  • TinaG141
    TinaG141 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, lol. I think at some point everyone has. Dont beat yourself up over it though and start with small changes first. They seem to stick better when you make a conscious choice for healthy living everyday. Heres to the new you and me :)
  • MamasGirl73
    MamasGirl73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is the story of my life, but I too am determined to make this the last and FINAL time of starting my new lifestyle. I want to be healthier and looking better is just a bonus. Good luck to you and remember "only you can make this work".
  • MrsPryority
    MrsPryority Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You sound like me! I wonder why my clothes are getting tighter when I eat healthy and exercise. Then I look at my exercise and food diary - no logs of exercise and lots of chips, little veggies! My first step is not to beat myself up! Its not easy, but I have to start loving myself first. Then I am finding ways to incorporate more veggies. After this becomes a regular, I'll work on eliminating/reducing the foods I shouldn't eat. Its all about baby steps for long term results. Also, I never realized how awesome having a support group is! If I meet up with someone to work out, I'm less likely to let them down. Taking 1 day at a time and letting go of perfection is my new motto.
  • kevc1986
    kevc1986 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support! Cheers to a healthy lifestyle!
  • tdecel
    tdecel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My calendar is my best friend. I look for something important 2 or 3 months ahead. It could be a trip, a wedding or formal event, an organized sports event in participation in, whatever and then just "train" the heck towards that date.

I set myself fitness goals (not necessarily numbers on the scale) and develop enough mental inertia to keep me going for those 2 or 3 months. When I get there, there is always something else to train for 2 months ahead. Having an exercise chart for those weeks helps a lot too.
  • musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate!! I make too many excuses and I have quite a bit over the last 3 years. I need to start all over again and cut down on pop all over again. It's a journey though and I am in it for the long run.
  • Kanga_Kate
    Kanga_Kate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes we can all do it! I bumped into a friend yesterday who had been using this app, and over a period of about 6 months he has lost pretty much all of his fat and looks like a lean machine!

I had quite a heavy weekend food and drink wise, but still persuaded myself to add every last calorie onto the app. My eyes widened when I saw how many calories I had consumed! And I think this is the crux - I often don't even realise how much I have eaten, whether it's snacking at the office, or having friends round for an indulgent dinner the calories don't seem to exist until they are on my hips and preventing me squeezing into my clothes! I'm determined to use this app consistently for a month to just log whatever I eat, and then when I am in the habit of it and can notice trends, will start to make changes. Anyone who wants to help me on this course is welcome to!
  • ryannreneexo
    ryannreneexo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way!! Totally agree
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    OP - you can do it! I was on the "tomorrow" plan for YEARS until I finally realized tomorrow had a way of never arriving. So, I made up my mind to do it and started on a Thursday back in April. Been going strong since.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Thast all very well OP, but id sugest you start just by loging your food accurately with no calorific limit. That wukk teach you how to log acurately the key skill in calorie counting and help you understand about what you consume.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to master one thing at a time too. Your goals listed above are all very reasonable. Don't get down on yourself though if you miss a step. You might figure out something that really works for you for, say, water intake, but have more trouble with sticking to exercise...whatever it may be...progress is progress, no matter how small. It doesn't matter if it doesn't all come together at the same time.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I think we have all said "I'll start tomorrow" I was always fit and then in my 40's got hurt and gained weight, not from the injury but how I handled the recovery. THEN (like you, we're all pretty much the same) I made excuse after excuse. One day I was at work, I work with military folks and this kid who had his leg blown off in Afghanistan was getting out of the hospital with his prosthetic leg and he RAN a mile, I knew then that every excuse I had was BS and I went home and got my shoes on, walked 2 miles as fast as I could and started back into fitness, there have been setbacks here and there, but I know now that I don't have to go all the way back, I can start over every day
  • bjoates52
    bjoates52 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    We have all been there and probably will again. So far I am doing good, it has been 2 weeks this time. I am trying to take a day at a time.

I know in order to follow the lifestyle we have chosen we have to stay conscious, at least I do. I eat so many things out of habit, so I try to make sure I do not have certain things in my house at all.

I still believe as long as we keep trying, we can get there, the key is to keep trying!!

Best of Luck to all of us.
  • NancMoss
    NancMoss Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I loved this!!

I'm vowing to a better life style as well!

HELL O YEAH!
  • runbailsrun
    runbailsrun Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can so relate. I'm terrible with self control so I've learned I just CANNOT have trigger foods in the house, I'll bindge and tell myself its okay I can start tomorrow. if the only thing to eat is healthy, I only eat when I'm hungry rather than eating when I'm bored, stressed, sad and frustrated. A cup of brocolli isn't the same as a bowl of ice cream when sad. Lol.
    I also tend to not log when I know I'm making poor choices because I don't want to face the facts :( new goal is to log everything!! I got a scale and its going down! We can do this!!!
  • JustLoveYes
    JustLoveYes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think we can all relate to this