Scared to weigh

Options
does anybody else hesitate before jumping on the scales? I find myself getting anxious before I weigh myself. I suppose I'm just scared of failure.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nope

I weigh myself almost daily

I understand that scale weight fluctuates with water weight which has nothing to do with body fat and everything to do with sodium, hormones, change up in exercise

I use a trendweight app (well site) to give me a trend line and greater understanding of how my scale weight fluctuates ...and it does by around 5lb in maintenance (I can show you if you want)

• pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I usually do if I've had a few off days. If I've stuck to my calories I'm usually excited to see my progress :)
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a week, scales move up and down during this time. I get weighed monthly by my nurse, her scale always weighs me 2-3 lb more than my own! !! Never really sure of my true weight but I know one thing it's definitely down by 2 stone since January on both sets of scales! !! So I know cico is working :smiley:
  • ljevans97
    ljevans97 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've got a very strict diet and work out, and I usually lose weight but it's just scary to think that I may have gained some. As I never can recognise my own progress!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I was nervous until I understood the fluctuations. Hop on! :)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    If i haven't weighed myself in a few days and i haven't been logging either, i do feel a bit anxious. But this is rarely, as i tend to weigh myself everyday, as well as pre-plan my meals.

Plus, even when i am anxious, it usually isn't as bad as i think it will be :)
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have switched to weighing daily. I used to get frustrated with a gain of 3 pounds overnight and make poor food choices as an emotional response (NOT healthy). Now I weigh daily. Sometimes it is up a pound or 3, sometimes it is down a pound or 2 overnight, but each week I look at the overall trend which is downward.

For me, taking the emotion out of my weight and using the scale as a tool for data is helping immensely. I can clearly see my weight bouncing around, and I know if I stay within my calorie limit I will lose weight. I also know I did not gain 2 pounds of fat overnight.

I also hope as I get closer to goal this will help keep me on track if I notice my weight creeping ever upward.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    ljevans97 wrote: »
    I've got a very strict diet and work out, and I usually lose weight but it's just scary to think that I may have gained some. As I never can recognise my own progress!

Do you have medical issues that cause you to be on this very strict diet?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    A higher number on the scale one time does not indicate failure.

I log daily. I feel like it's taken the power of the scale away. I know that day to day, my weight is going to change a bit. And I'm okay with that.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I get more anxious not knowing exactly what my weight is. I'm one of those "i need to know" kind of people.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Your weight isn't just about fat, it includes water weight fluctuations, how much food is still waiting to be digested, minor scale fluctuations, etc. Even if you do everything perfect, it will still go up some days and down on others. And nobody is perfect. All that matters is the trend over time...
  • ljevans97
    ljevans97 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys! And no I haven't got a medical problem because of my diet. I just choose to stick to lean and clean meals haha. I suppose I'm just a bit of a hypochondriac because I've yet to gain anything and I've logged daily since I've started my new training program!
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    ljevans97 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments guys! And no I haven't got a medical problem because of my diet. I just choose to stick to lean and clean meals haha. I suppose I'm just a bit of a hypochondriac because I've yet to gain anything and I've logged daily since I've started my new training program!

Honestly, gains are nothing to worry about in the short term. Sooo many factors influence that number on the scale; water retention from too much sodium or salt, TOM, eating a large meal later than you usually do, water retention from a new exercise routine....if it doesn't slide right back off after a couple of days or a couple of weeks depending on what you think the reason for it is, then it may be time to look at your logging. But don't stress the gains. Weighing every day has helped me get over being annoyed by the fluctuations.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I only get nervous after I've had a splurge (or many) - basically I never weigh myself on Mondays and let myself even out from the weekend... but in general, weight fluctuates and as long as the trend is down, I don't get too bent out of shape anymore.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nope

I use a trendweight app (well site) to give me a trend line and greater understanding of how my scale weight fluctuates ...and it does by around 5lb in maintenance (I can show you if you want)

I'm interested, can you post it please?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    No.

I weigh myself every other week, but ignore the number as long as my measurements and clothes don't change. Also, I ignore the weigh in a doctors' offices because I am consistent with the scale at my Y.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    It is what it is, my knowing or not knowing the number will not change the number. I try to weigh myself under consistent conditions. I know that ultimately weight loss is all about strategy and has nothing to do with chance.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nope

I weigh myself almost daily

I understand that scale weight fluctuates with water weight which has nothing to do with body fat and everything to do with sodium, hormones, change up in exercise
    <snip>

This. I weigh myself daily; I like the data. Even fluctuations give me a good picture of my progress. My weight may be stalled over any given week (or even a month), but I can still see a general trend.