Have you had success controlling SVT?

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had any success controlling their SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) via diet and exercise?

I'm trying to avoid the surgery, as I don't like the odds of failure. My doc said 1 in 100 end up needing a pacemaker and I've read a lot on the internet about people having to have it done multiple times, or surgery making it worse. (I know, you shouldn't believe the internet). Doctor doesn't think the meds are effective enough to try, but gave me something for high blood pressure that he said probably won't work, but might help. I haven't tried it yet because it says not to drive while taking.

I notice that I have more frequent episodes when I'm under stress. Anyone else?

Any suggestions, thoughts or comments from people with SVT would be appreciated.

Replies

• FunUsername
    FunUsername Posts: 51 Member
    Hi. Looks like few have this. Was diagnosed myself 2 days ago. So apologies, I have no answers just questions.

Mine has been the last 4 days of frequentl episodes of up to 5 Seconds with dizziness, nearly collapsed. It all fairly new to me though. And wondering how it affects you. Why the surgery?

This might bump it up for you too .. hopefully you get your answers which I would love to hear too.
  • mxmakm
    mxmakm Posts: 1,166 Member
    I've had SVT since pregnant with my first child 5.5 years ago. I don't take medication for it though nor has my doctor said anything about surgery but my doctor has also said not all SVT is the same. How often are your episodes and how does it effect you? For me, my heart rate raises to 207-213 immediately during an attack and it will stay there until I can force it to stop by putting pressure on my neck muscles. It makes me dizzy and exhausted since it is difficult to take a breath at that time but I have recently found a new way to stop it in a few minutes. I suck in my breaths like I was sucking air through a straw but forceful as if a milkshake was stuck or something and breathe out the same way and it puts pressure on my neck which stops it.

It does happen more often for me if I am stressed because my heart rate is slightly elevated from normal and it's easier to jump up to the 200s. It has not been controlled by diet or exercise for me but I have only lost 40 pounds so far and am still overweight so maybe it will change when I lose more, maybe not.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    I had SVT for years and years. No medication was ever offered to me. I had the ablation a few years ago after a pretty severe SVT episode. The surgery itself was a ridiculously simple procedure. The next morning when I woke up, I couldn't feel my heartbeat. I've never NOT felt my heartbeat. Honestly thought I was dead for a second. For the next two years I was SVT free. Then one day on the treadmill (seems to be where it's going to happen for me), another episode but different from the ones I used to have. Happened a couple more times, went to the cardiologist (different state, different doc). Wore a monitor, didn't happen. Hasn't happened for a few months now. No one has ever told me that losing weight might help. I decided to just live my life and if it happens to just remember it won't kill me and it won't damage my heart...provided I receive medical attention in a reasonable amount of time. I usually drive myself to the ER, get the intervention--God how much I hate that!--and that will give my doc the info he needs to address this particular SVT.

I learned that there are 7 different kinds of SVT and that the treatment can be different for each, that's the reason for the monitor, so they can see which one it is. It is common for up to 10% of us to have more than one kind. Hence the need for another ablation in the future.

OP, find a cardiologist who specializes in SVT. You'll learn SO much from that doc and he/she will not basically tell you to live with it, which is what it sounds like your doc is doing.
  • mxmakm
    mxmakm Posts: 1,166 Member
    Virkati wrote: »
    I had SVT for years and years. No medication was ever offered to me. I had the ablation a few years ago after a pretty severe SVT episode. The surgery itself was a ridiculously simple procedure. The next morning when I woke up, I couldn't feel my heartbeat. I've never NOT felt my heartbeat. Honestly thought I was dead for a second. For the next two years I was SVT free. Then one day on the treadmill (seems to be where it's going to happen for me), another episode but different from the ones I used to have. Happened a couple more times, went to the cardiologist (different state, different doc). Wore a monitor, didn't happen. Hasn't happened for a few months now. No one has ever told me that losing weight might help. I decided to just live my life and if it happens to just remember it won't kill me and it won't damage my heart...provided I receive medical attention in a reasonable amount of time. I usually drive myself to the ER, get the intervention--God how much I hate that!--and that will give my doc the info he needs to address this particular SVT.

I learned that there are 7 different kinds of SVT and that the treatment can be different for each, that's the reason for the monitor, so they can see which one it is. It is common for up to 10% of us to have more than one kind. Hence the need for another ablation in the future.

OP, find a cardiologist who specializes in SVT. You'll learn SO much from that doc and he/she will not basically tell you to live with it, which is what it sounds like your doc is doing.

This is interesting and I need to look into it more. I've gone to the hospital twice for SVT episodes but they just hooked me up to the heart monitor, gave me a glass of water, and told me to sit there until it stopped on its own. That's why I've tried to figure out ways to stop the attack on my own. My doctor said if it becomes a problem and happens more often he'll give me medicine but I should just live with it unless it becomes a problem. It now happens more often but I just deal with it since it doesn't seem like it is that important.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Need a new Doc.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    @funusername - You're lucky it's only a few seconds. I've had heart rates over 190 for over 12 hours multiple times. Usually they're only 30 minutes to an hour. I was told that the reason for the surgery is this: (the simplified version) usually you have one electric spark in your heart that makes it beat. For some reason some of us have a second one. When the second one fires, it starts an svt episode. The ablation surgery basically cauterizes the spot where the second one is, returning you to having only one. Sometimes it works, sometimes a new spot (or multiple spots) occur, necessitating multiple surgeries.

@mxmakm - I've heard about all those ways to stop it, but none have ever worked for me. I just have to stay calm and ride it out.

• dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Virkati wrote: »
    I usually drive myself to the ER, get the intervention--God how much I hate that!--

You get the intervention every time? That shot that stops your heart? You are very brave. They did that to me once (well, twice because it didn't work, so they tried a larger dose, which didn't work either) and after that there is no way I'd ever let them do it again. That is the worst thing ever.

It seems like it happens less often and the episodes don't last as long if I'm careful to stay hydrated.