Fitness schedule

Options
I work out 5 times a week (30 mins - an hour) with a mix of HIIT, strength, and cardio, log my foods(under 1200). And then do whatever during the weekends. I don't gorge myself, but I don't log and don't worry about eating.

I'm wondering if that's an alright way to slowly get fit, or if that's just definitely not enough? I'm 5'1", 21yo, and 117lbs.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Eating under 1200 calories is unhealthy.

1200 net calories is the minimum RDA for a reason.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 times a week (30 mins - an hour) with a mix of HIIT, strength, and cardio, log my foods(under 1200). And then do whatever during the weekends. I don't gorge myself, but I don't log and don't worry about eating.

I'm wondering if that's an alright way to slowly get fit, or if that's just definitely not enough? I'm 5'1", 21yo, and 117lbs.

Your calories has nothing to do with getting fit. Are you showing progress in your workouts? That's the best way to determine if you're getting fitter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    fit people eat and train...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Eating under 1200 calories is unhealthy.

1200 net calories is the minimum RDA for a reason.

If she's eating them a few days later, it's okay. Banking calories is pretty common.

OP, what are your goals?
  • kikomansauce
    kikomansauce Posts: 59 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My goal is getting to anywhere between 110-115lbs, but mainly overall slimming down in size and getting rid of the pudgey and chubby. I don't care about the scale if I'm able to slim down.

1200 is the calorie limit that MyFitnessPal has set for me, and with working out(anywhere from 150-350 calories a day), I've been getting anywhere from 1000-1300 everyday. I do wonder if it's too low... But then again, I'm not seeing much visible results, except for the couple pounds on the scale.
    I am eating well over it during the weekends though(probably around 1700-2000 calories? I eat a lot.) I wonder if that's why I'm not seeing a result?

I get a little less tired during work outs I guess. But that's all the results I see, after 2 months of consistently working out.

Since I'm wanting to slim down in size, more than seeing a smaller number on the scale, I'm wondering if I should change the pattern to - eat more/work out more. I'm also wondering if my metabolism is suffering because I'm eating a lot less than before.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    My goal is getting to anywhere between 110-115lbs, but mainly overall slimming down in size and getting rid of the pudgey and chubby. I don't care about the scale if I'm able to slim down.

1200 is the calorie limit that MyFitnessPal has set for me, and with working out(anywhere from 150-350 calories a day), I've been getting anywhere from 1000-1300 everyday. I do wonder if it's too low... But then again, I'm not seeing much visible results, except for the couple pounds on the scale.
    I am eating well over it during the weekends though(probably around 1700-2000 calories? I eat a lot.) I wonder if that's why I'm not seeing a result?

I get a little less tired during work outs I guess. But that's all the results I see, after 2 months of consistently working out.

Since I'm wanting to slim down in size, more than seeing a smaller number on the scale, I'm wondering if I should change the pattern to - eat more/work out more. I'm also wondering if my metabolism is suffering because I'm eating a lot less than before.

So you don't actually have any fitness goals?
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

Try tracking all the time and averaging at a set number. Decide if you want to lose weight or gain weight-can't do both. Winging it on the weekends is a common culprit of no progress.

If you're trying to increase your overall fitness-but not really lose weight-then your calories should be set to maintenance. Either way-start logging on the weekends.
  • kikomansauce
    Options
    ._. define "fitness goals". I want to slim down, and I want to at least become fit enough to run a mile without dying(I suck at running). I don't really have a "do a marathon" or "get 6pack abs" kind of set goal. But if that's a goal... idk, be able to wear sleeveless, and come to actually like running or at least run 2 miles without stopping?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    ._. define "fitness goals". I want to slim down, and I want to at least become fit enough to run a mile without dying(I suck at running). I don't really have a "do a marathon" or "get 6pack abs" kind of set goal. But if that's a goal... idk, be able to wear sleeveless, and come to actually like running or at least run 2 miles without stopping?

Sliming down isn't a fitness goal. Running a mile in x minutes is.
  • slaite1
    Options

1-Switch to lose .5/lb a week
    2-Eat back half your exercise calories. 3-3-Track ALL OF your food
    4-Keep running and incorporate lifting
    5-Repeat
  • kikomansauce
    Options
    Well, I guess I don't have a fitness goal then xD and that's fine, if I'm able to slim down. I guess we just have different motivations for MFP :P

I'm not trying to gain weight at all. I eat a lot not because I want to gain weight, but because I LOVE food <3 I eat a lot because I can(dunno how, my overall size is tiny), and because food is delicious :) I just do it during the weekends because I know I'll be awfully sad if I didn't.

Is .5/lbs a week going to be more effective than 1/lbs? In what way?
    Meh. I guess I'll start tracking during the weekends. Now my life is even sadder... But oh well.

So what I knew (or thought I knew) is that gaining muscle(the type of work outs that help you get "fit" and not just lose the scale numbers, strength training, etc.) can help with slimming down too, not just cardio, because 1lbs of muscle is smaller than 1lbs of fat. So you can look smaller, but the scale won't change. Is that true?
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Yes. Track ALL your food, including weekends.

You may decide you want to continue doing whatever on the weekends. You're not overweight. You just want to lose some vanity pounds. You may not want to make the effort to restrict calories. And that's fine. But if you want to know why you're not making progress, only tracking will be able to tell you.
  • eah12010
    eah12010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started this thing called the Kayla Itsines Bikini Body guide a few weeks ago and I think you should research it-- its mainly about what you're describing, toning your body and becoming fitter, not necessarily losing weight. It is a series of circuits that get harder as you go along. If you don't want to buy it or aren't comfortable finding a copy online, Doing similar types of exercises instead of just doing cardio will be your best route! Goodluck, you can achieve anything you set your mind to!
  • slaite1
    Options
    Well, I guess I don't have a fitness goal then xD and that's fine, if I'm able to slim down. I guess we just have different motivations for MFP :P

I'm not trying to gain weight at all. I eat a lot not because I want to gain weight, but because I LOVE food <3 I eat a lot because I can(dunno how, my overall size is tiny), and because food is delicious :) I just do it during the weekends because I know I'll be awfully sad if I didn't.

Is .5/lbs a week going to be more effective than 1/lbs? In what way?
    Meh. I guess I'll start tracking during the weekends. Now my life is even sadder... But oh well.

So what I knew (or thought I knew) is that gaining muscle(the type of work outs that help you get "fit" and not just lose the scale numbers, strength training, etc.) can help with slimming down too, not just cardio, because 1lbs of muscle is smaller than 1lbs of fat. So you can look smaller, but the scale won't change. Is that true?

.5/lb will allow for more food overall while still losing. It sounds like you just want to lose a few pounds-and it is usally recommended to stick to .5/lb a week to retain as much muscle as possible while you lose. You cannot ADD muscle while you're at a deficit-but you can help to maintain what you have by losing slowly and eating adequate protein. It will also help you keep your sanity so you can eat more on the weekends.

Tracking is not so bad. I eat lower during the week so I can indulge in the weekends. Are you using the app? You can see your weekly average that way. I find it super helpful and it allows me to indulge when I want-without losing all of my progress :smile:

You are correct on the concept on muscle vs. fat. It actually sounds like you might be interested in recomposition. In a recomp the goal is to change what you look like-not necessarily lose scale weight. You eat at maintenance (or just below) while lifting heavy and slowly get the "toned" look it sounds like you desire.

There is a fabulous thread all about body recomp that you should read. I'm on my phone so I can't link the thread-but hopefully someone comes along that will. Nonetheless-it is under he maintenance section. You should give it a read. It's gold.

Sorry for the length-I got caught up
  • kikomansauce
    Options
    the app, you mean the MFP app? Yea haha of course I'm using it. But I've never seen a weekly average for calories? Where can I find it???

Body Recomp... I haven't heard of it, but I'll definitely look into it. I'm gonna try to do more weights, but I haven't got a gym to go to, so I'm not sure where to get some lifting done - is that the only way for body recomp? Also, do bootcamps(with weights) and bodyweight workouts help too? I'm trying to figure out which workouts actually help with muscle and which are just fatloss(I know running is. Others?)
  • slaite1
    Options
    the app, you mean the MFP app? Yea haha of course I'm using it. But I've never seen a weekly average for calories? Where can I find it???

Body Recomp... I haven't heard of it, but I'll definitely look into it. I'm gonna try to do more weights, but I haven't got a gym to go to, so I'm not sure where to get some lifting done - is that the only way for body recomp? Also, do bootcamps(with weights) and bodyweight workouts help too? I'm trying to figure out which workouts actually help with muscle and which are just fatloss(I know running is. Others?)

Yes the MFP app-some people use their computer instead and the desktop version has different graphs available.

For weekly you go to "nutrition">caloires>weekly (weekly is on top-like a drop down menu).
    They used to give you total calories but it's all effed up since they updated the app. But-you can see your weekly average. I am to keep my weekly average at whatever my calorie goal is. I eat low during the week and splurge on the weekends and make sure it evens out.

Cardio will help increase your calories out-and weight training will help you retain or build muscle. Lots of people do body weight exercises or use small weights. Post a question in the fitness and exercise section and you'll probably get some great suggestions for at home workouts. The important thing is to have progression. Perhaps bands or something will help.

Feel free to PM me if you have question. But definitely check out that thread and post in the other section. I spent a long time spinning my wheels and wish I had learned earlier how to change my body
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough.

Two things contribute to losing muscle:
    1. The aging process (which starts as soon as you are born) causes catabolism (breakdown) of muscle easier than anabolism (growth).
    2. When you eat too few calories, or protein, or both, you don't build muscles and you also have no fuel left to recover from exercise with.
    Because you see a reduction in size when you diet and you feel lighter, you don't realize the losses are muscle.