Realistic loss

Options
I've been following the recommended calorie intake for 4 weeks. I have twice edged over the limit by less than 20 calories each time. Otherwise, usually under by a 100+ calories.
During this time, I have consumed at least 8 cups of water daily. I hate exercise. Refuse to do it.
I know it would help, but I just don't want to.
Given all this information - only 3 pounds loss. Before trying to limit caloric intake, my daily intake would probably be somewhere in the 3-4,000 calories or more daily range. Lot of fast food, processed stuff and soda. So, getting a little discouraged here.

Thanks,
Till

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to weigh your portions? If you are eating meals that have a lot of sodium, you may retain some water weight but 3 pounds in 4 weeks is a pretty decent loss.

You don't have to exercise to lose weight, so no worries there. :)
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    3 pounds in 4 weeks isn't a bad loss! Congrats on that! Keep logging carefully (food scale recommended) and be patient.
  • Tilly1285
    Tilly1285 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I haven't been weighing portions. I need to do that. Everything else I use the bar code information within the app.
    I got a friend who is dropping weight like crazy on the HCG plan, but who wouldn't on 500 calls a day? I don't think that's healthy. Our bodies need fuel to operate correctly. Right - Wrong?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    3lbs isn't bad for 4 weeks, 1lb/week is the usual recommended rate of loss to go for.

If you're not hitting your goal it's most likely because your logging isn't accurate enough. Do you use a food scale? Can you open your diary?

Edit: Using a scale would help a lot, you're probably eating more than you think. And you're right, 500 a day isn't healthy, our bodies do need fuel!
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    3lbs in 4 weeks is a great loss. You need to be more realistic with your expectations and celebrate your achievements :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Tilly1285 wrote: »
    I haven't been weighing portions. I need to do that. Everything else I use the bar code information within the app.
    I got a friend who is dropping weight like crazy on the HCG plan, but who wouldn't on 500 calls a day? I don't think that's healthy. Our bodies need fuel to operate correctly. Right - Wrong?

Right.

And here's why you need a food scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU&list=FLxRg_80KHM-BdcHvV7nkgfg&index=2
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    3 lbs in a month is pretty good imo. I think a food scale would help you more.

And yes, our bodies need fuel.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It really depends what weight you started from, and what your calorie target is relative to your TDEE.

So, we would need to know your weight, your height, age, gender, and what your setting was for how many pounds per week to lose.

So far, given what you've said, one pound per week isn't necessarily bad. Doing it right isn't fast, but it is effective.

So there are a few things to look at:
    1. Water consumption isn't that important, as long as you're getting enough that you're not thirsty.
    2. Do you weigh all of your solid foods? If you use measuring cups, you may be eating more than you think and have a smaller deficit than intended.
    3. Do you weigh at a consistent time during the day? Weight can fluctuate by several pounds during the course of the day. Many people do it first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before breakfast.
    4. Weight loss is not linear, there are fast and slow periods, even temporary reversals due to water retention.

• sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Definitely start weighing your food, you will be surprised by the difference in what you think is a decent portion to what you really should have portion wise x
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Realistic weight loss is anywhere from .5-2 pounds per week and it depends on so many factors including how much you have to lose and how old you are. The more you have to lose, the quicker it will come off. The older you are, the slower you tend to lose. (these are, of course, generalizations but tend to be true more of the time than less)

Also, never, ever ever compare yourself and your weight loss to others OR put "only" in front of any loss at all! You have no idea what someone else is doing to lose weight - even when they tell you, it may or may not be true and you also don't know any of the other factors contributing to their weight loss (age, amount to lose, medical history, etc.).

Concentrate on developing good, healthy sustainable habits and quit worrying about the scale so much. Weigh (using a food scale), measure and log *all* of your food. Always use a food scale over measuring cups/spoons for accuracy. You don't have to exercise to lose weight - you just have to eat fewer calories than you burn. You exercise for other healthy reasons instead (better mood, stronger heart and lungs, better muscle tone, stress relief, etc.).
  • mark6281991
    mark6281991 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Another thing is that being too far under your caloric needs is worse than being over. Your metabolism with slow greatly if you do that consistently.
  • cassidyamymommy
    cassidyamymommy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I say celebrate the 3 pounds lost. That 3 pounds less then you had 4 weeks ago. Just remember that the weight didn't come on over night, so it will not go off that fast either. buy yourself a food scale and weigh everything. it will help. Usually what we think is a normal portion is way off. Exercise isn't needed to lose weight. Follow the calories in vs. calories out and the weight will come off. slow and steady wins the race. It also depends on how much weight you have to lose. A person that is 300 pounds will lose faster then someone who is 150.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Right.

Your friend will lose weight quickly, but they will not be learning healthy habits that can last a lifetime. If you learn now how to eat the appropriate amount for your body by logging your food and weighing portions, you'll have the knowledge and understanding of how to keep a healthy weight for the rest of your life, which will far out-last HCG (or any other low calorie diet) plan.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Another thing is that being too far under your caloric needs is worse than being over. Your metabolism with slow greatly if you do that consistently.

NO. The "Starvation Mode" as referenced here is a myth and completely false. There are many threads on this with links to scientific studies showing why. I am too lazy to search for them right now, but if you are interested in reading the science behind why this is untrue, please do a search on the boards.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    3 lbs in 4 weeks is decent progress.
    If you think you should be losing 2 lbs a week and you are not then you probably should check the accuracy of your logging and start weighing and measuring everything.
  • Tilly1285
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    It really depends what weight you started from, and what your calorie target is relative to your TDEE.

So, we would need to know your weight, your height, age, gender, and what your setting was for how many pounds per week to lose.

So far, given what you've said, one pound per week isn't necessarily bad. Doing it right isn't fast, but it is effective.

1. Water consumption isn't that important, as long as you're getting enough that you're not thirsty.
    2. Do you weigh all of your solid foods? If you use measuring cups, you may be eating more than you think and have a smaller deficit than intended.
    3. Do you weigh at a consistent time during the day? Weight can fluctuate by several pounds during the course of the day. Many people do it first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before breakfast.
    4. Weight loss is not linear, there are fast and slow periods, even temporary reversals due to water retention.

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate it!

I weigh one time a week, Mondays after bathroom, before breakfast and shower. Today 257.
    I'm a guy, 5'11", 61 yrs old and would like to lose the max of 2 lbs per week.

I'll invest in a digital scale today.

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Logging accurately is the next step after the digital scale. You want to verify entries made by useres with the USDA listing or nutritional label. Avoid vague descriptions, incomplete nutritional information or generic home made entries.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate it!

I weigh one time a week, Mondays after bathroom, before breakfast and shower. Today 257.
    I'm a guy, 5'11", 61 yrs old and would like to lose the max of 2 lbs per week.

I'll invest in a digital scale today.

Good deal. Look for a digital scale that measures in grams, and has a tare/zero button. Taylor has some good ones. If you go to Walmart, however, stay away from their Mainstays brand (it defaults to ounces and the button to change it is on the bottom, very annoying).

Using the IIFYM TDEE calculator, your TDEE with no exercise is about 2394/day. A daily deficit to lose two pounds per week is 1000 calories per day: (3500 * 2)/7. Given this, your daily calories would have to be about 1394, which lower than recommended for a male.

The recommended minimum for a male would be about 1500 cal/day. That still gives you a very generous deficit, but not exactly enough for 2/wk, but it should beat the 1lb/wk you're doing now. Weighing your food will help you zero in on it better.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

• paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ THIS. You're doing fine, and I respect that you're losing weight your way. (I have a friend who doesn't exercise, limits his food intake and drinks beer every night. He's losing weight, so who am I to judge?)

But bpetrosky is right. It's hard to lose 2 pounds a week without exercise. I'm a 48-year-old guy, and I have to work out pretty hard 6 days a week (burning at least 600 calories) to consistently lose 2 pounds a week. (I'd still encourage you to get out and go for a walk or something, since exercise brings other benefits too. You don't have to kill yourself in a gym.)

Still, the bottom line is that you're losing weight, doing it your way. So just keep going and remember you're in this for the long-term. There's no sense losing a bunch of weight in a short time and then gaining it back later. Stay focused on your goal and be consistent every day.
  • Tilly1285
    Options
    paxbfl wrote: »
    ^^^^ THIS. You're doing fine, and I respect that you're losing weight your way. (I have a friend who doesn't exercise, limits his food intake and drinks beer every night. He's losing weight, so who am I to judge?)

But bpetrosky is right. It's hard to lose 2 pounds a week without exercise. I'm a 48-year-old guy, and I have to work out pretty hard 6 days a week (burning at least 600 calories) to consistently lose 2 pounds a week. (I'd still encourage you to get out and go for a walk or something, since exercise brings other benefits too. You don't have to kill yourself in a gym.)

Still, the bottom line is that you're losing weight, doing it your way. So just keep going and remember you're in this for the long-term. There's no sense losing a bunch of weight in a short time and then gaining it back later. Stay focused on your goal and be consistent every day.

I don't mind a walk with man's best friend. I know it's good for him and me, but 95+ degrees out right now, uhmm, NO! And the gym is full of "monkey men" grunting and huffing for the ladies - puleeeze.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom and encouragement.

Till