Hard time doing '30 Day Shred'?

Options
I have been doing Jillian Michael's workout video the '30 Day Shred'. I have done it quite a few times now, still on level one of course, but can not seem to keep up with all the reps. :(
I find it to be an extremely hard workout!!! And I find myself missing quite a few reps here and there. Often.
I am starting to feel ashamed of myself. Or maybe my body was just not cut out for this. IDK!

Without a doubt, a forty minute workout on my elliptical machine is pudding compared to this.

Jillian Michaels says in the video that it is hard but my body will adapt. But it really doesn't feel that way. At this rate, I'll be doing level one for many months before I am ready to move on to level two. Level one is supposed to be conquered in ten days. For whom? Body builders? I don't understand.

Am I alone in this? Or am I just pathetic?

7690954.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

******** Can always use more friends so please ADD me if you want! :D

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    It is a hard dvd...but you will get stronger. I did this for 3 months straight. I also did her dvd No more trouble zones on the weekend. It does pay off....don't give up. If you stay with it you will loook fabulous this summer : )
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I am on Level 1, Day 8 and today was harder for me than some days. Today was the first day I haven't stopped to take a break. What pound weights are you using? I despise the side lunge and lift your hands to your eyes one. That was damn near kills me.
  • LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I cannot match them rep for rep. I just keep going as best I can. Do not feel ashamed. It's hard! Especially for me, someone who has spent the last decade or so as a couch potato.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    When I did 30DS, I found that after 5 or 6 days on each level it was easier, but never easy. I also noticed that I could get through some of the exercises better, i.e. hold a plank longer, do more pushups, etc. Eventually I moved up to the next level because I was bored with her talking on that level. After finishing level 3, I went back and did level one again, and I did much better on it.
    Are you taking a break and letting your body rest one day a week? I would definitely do that. Your body will need time to adapt and recover after her workouts.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It is hard!!! If you look at all the girls in the DVD, they are sweating their *kitten* off too. I still can't do a push up to save my life, but I do as best I can. I did level one for ten days, then have been at level two for 5 days. You WILL get stronger. Day one of both, I thought I was going to die, but as time went on I had way more stamina. You can do it!!!!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I agree with you on this..30 DS is a very difficult challenge, you will see yourself gaining strength, endurance and it will get easier. It took me almost 3 weeks to be able to make it thru completely, -push up's.. I done more of the exercise before the push ups. I have bad shoulder's so I can't do them. I seen a drastic change in endurance after the 1st week 1/2. There is no set count on when you should move on to level 2, just stick with it and you will get there...
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    Definitely not alone! I found it very hard - like you I cross train a lot, do TaeKwon-Do etc. though I definitely wouldn't say I'm very fit - but that's the point of doing a video like that isn't it? There was no way I could have managed the full press-ups at the rate she did them - I can just about do a handful of pressups, slowly, so I just went straight for the pressups on knees. The side lunges with weight lifts very nearly killed me... It definitely hits a lot of different muscle groups which is good, and the pace is kept up to keep the cardio element in it going.

After doing it for three days I concluded that the only way that you could only do level one for ten days and then move on is if you're already pretty fit (would they be doing this video if that's the case?). I haven't done it for a few days because I've been doing other things - I personally need to vary my workouts or I get bored very easily and I think I would need to do that level one for MONTHS before moving on! Don't be disheartened, you are not alone, I'm sure if you can manage to do this workout daily you will get some pretty good results pretty quickly!
  • kmma75
    kmma75 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred for a whole month, switched up a level every 10 days and still do the workout 2-3 times a week. It is hard and I still struggle at times to keep up. I also found I liked aspects of Level 2 and 3 better than Level 1.

Just do your best and you will find yourself getting stronger the longer you stick to it.
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing fine, don't give up! If you need more than 10 days on a level it is fine, do not beat yourself up about it. By your ticker it certainly looks like it is working for you . Keep it up! I just started another round of 30DS today and although I have completed 2 rounds before I still had to stop and catch my breath twice. No big deal. For me it is usually about day 6 that my body quits complaining. Best of luck, feel free to add me if you want support :)
  • shnnd19
    shnnd19 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Jillian Michael's workout video the '30 Day Shred'. I have done it quite a few times now, still on level one of course, but can not seem to keep up with all the reps. :(
    I find it to be an extremely hard workout!!! And I find myself missing quite a few reps here and there. Often.
    I am starting to feel ashamed of myself. Or maybe my body was just not cut out for this. IDK!

Without a doubt, a forty minute workout on my elliptical machine is pudding compared to this.

Jillian Michaels says in the video that it is hard but my body will adapt. But it really doesn't feel that way. At this rate, I'll be doing level one for many months before I am ready to move on to level two. Level one is supposed to be conquered in ten days. For whom? Body builders? I don't understand.

Am I alone in this? Or am I just pathetic?

7690954.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

******** Can always use more friends so please ADD me if you want! :D

I just started over a week ago but been doing it every other day cause I just can't do it everyday yet. Once i get used that than I will increased a little at a time.
  • Jovannyr
    Jovannyr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone...I started about 2 weeks ago and i'm still in level 1...gave level 2 a try and it almost killed me :frown: , even got a little discouraged because I couldn't do hardly anything from level 2...I swear I felt like a sissy :indifferent: ...I haven't done it in about 3 days...Apparently I also took the wrong bus and ended up in plateau city because I haven't lost not even half a pound since before I started...I do feel better to know that I'm not alone and that some people have gone through similar with 30ds...I will continue with alternating between Zumba, Yoga and treadmill.....I guess the trick is to continue at your own pace so I will start again tomorrow...Thank you for the post..! :flowerforyou:
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I am on Level 1, Day 8 and today was harder for me than some days. Today was the first day I haven't stopped to take a break. What pound weights are you using? I despise the side lunge and lift your hands to your eyes one. That was damn near kills me.

I am using 3 pound weights. Alternating with 5 pound weights for things with my arms.

That side lunge almost kills me too! That is exactly when I feel my muscles scream!!!!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you join in one of the 30DS motivation groups on here. There's usually one starting every few days. That will help keep you accountable. You will notice that you are doing better than some other posters and more successful posters will be an inspiration to you. Doing the 30DS 30 times in 30 days is the most beneficial thing I have done, other than finding MFP of course. I learned that I can keep trying hard things that seem impossible and I can achieve them and surpass them. Keep at it, it's worth the effort and the tears.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all your wonderful comments!

You have really helped me and have given me motivation to push through it. :)