Plateau Advice

Options
I always get to 172 and get "stuck" in my weight loss. It happens every time. Then I end up giving up and I gain the weight I lost back, then a little while later I try again and I get back down to 172... then repeat. What. Do. I. Do.??? This is driving me insane!!!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What is your plan? How long are you "stuck" for usually?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's hard to answer these kinds of posts without more details. How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale? A plateau is something like 6-8 weeks without a drop on the scale and with no changes to your routine (since diet & exercise changes tend to come with some water weight retention - which can screw with the scale). If it's only been a few weeks, then it's possible that it's just a natural stall and will go away on its own.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

Other than that, the most common problems we see come from underestimating calories eaten and overestimating calories burned.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale/p1

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If you're an outlier due to size, age, or medical issues, then it may be best to check with your doctor or get a referral to a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I thought I had hit a plateau, the scales didn't move for 6 weeks. Then I realised I had to be honest with myself, I wasn't being as strict with my logging, I was picking and not logging. So last week I made sure I logged EVERYTHING and didn't pick and I lost 2lb this week. Plus I was also eating back 85% of my exercise calories, so I tried only eating 50% :)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    when i look at your newsfeed and see 3 weeks ago 2 pounds lost, then 2 weeks ago 1.6 lost and a week ago 0.2 pounds lost...than i have to say you are not at a plateau. Thats almost 4 pounds in 3 weeks!

Weight loss is not linear, sometimes you lose some or more, sometimes nothing etc. Look at it overall.
    there are lots of factors that can impact your weight loss, like TOM, stress, over training ( holding more water) etc etc.

When you are "stuck" for weeks look first at your logging..do you weigh EVERYTHING? And dont use cups and spoons or serving sizes. Tighten up to be more accurate.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    xomorganjc wrote: »
    I always get to 172 and get "stuck" in my weight loss. It happens every time. Then I end up giving up and I gain the weight I lost back,
    What. Do. I. Do.???

Stop. Giving. Up.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    When people complain about a plateau, the real story is about one of two things, inaccuracies in measuring CI, CO or both, or losing patience with the process. I had an episode of the flu that inflated my weight loss. I recovered a week ago and am finding myself frustrated that my over all weight has not decreased to a lower mark. I am looking back at past success, trusting the CICO process, listen to other successes and look forward to the return of loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 8-10 weeks. Has it been that long?
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    she lost almost 4 pounds the last 3 weeks :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    she lost almost 4 pounds the last 3 weeks :)

I'm seeing this too. Did you record a water weight gain or something? If not, then you're losing.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I always get to 172 and get "stuck" in my weight loss. It happens every time. Then I end up giving up and I gain the weight I lost back, then a little while later I try again and I get back down to 172... then repeat. What. Do. I. Do.??? This is driving me insane!!!!

Don't give up this time. You aren't on a plateau.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

This sounds more like Fear of Success than anything else, but you could check out these nutrition tweaks from the MFP blog: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/8-nutrition-tweaks-to-try-if-youve-hit-a-weight-loss-plateau/
  • xomorganjc
    xomorganjc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Late responding... but thanks for the advice! I'm just going to keep pushing forward. Going to try to add more water. I am barely drinking anything at all and think this may be a major issue... I did log water weight so I think that has to do with the weight loss in the last 3-4 weeks. I've been around 172-174 for the last few months. I am also gaining muscle... so I think this may have something to do with it. However, even with muscle gain I am still aiming for a goal weight of around 130-135. Just need to be a little harder on myself I suppose.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    you just eat more than you think As your diary showed...not logging correctly

And when you really eat in a deficit ( which your not) you wont gain muscle. ( except for newbie gains)

So it is or..or.
  • xomorganjc
    xomorganjc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure what amount of calories I even should be eating at this point in my weight loss... that's another issue.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure what amount of calories I even should be eating at this point in my weight loss... that's another issue.

This is an easy fix. Figure out your maintenance, then eat below that. Ta-da! Plateau broken.

If you're consistently not losing weight, you're eating too much.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

What did MFP give you? Are you using the site for logging or just for forums? It should tell you based on what you put in for your stats, goals and activity level how many calories you should be eating per day.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    i'm curious about something, because I seem to see this a lot...when someone complains of hitting a plateau or a bump in the road, folks immediately ask about their logging accuracy. i'm not saying that logging isn't important, or that failure to be accurate wouldn't contribute to the issue, but i can't help but wonder - if whatever means they're using to log their intake up to that point hasn't affected their ability to shed pounds, why would it become a speedbump later on in the process?

is that because there's a degree of wiggle room early in the process that doesn't exist after you've lost the initial water weight/first excess pounds? it seems somewhat logical that the earlier pounds will be easier to shed than the last few pounds before your goal, but i'm curious - should the process come under more scrutiny as you shed more weight and get closer to your goal? do things that worked early on either stop working or become less effective later on in the journey?

I started at the end of May at 279 pounds and and down to 241-243 or so right now...i've hit something of a wall myself within the past week or so, and I've been wondering if it's because I dropped 35 pounds of low hanging fruit and I'm going to have to up my game now. :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    i'm curious about something, because I seem to see this a lot...when someone complains of hitting a plateau or a bump in the road, folks immediately ask about their logging accuracy. i'm not saying that logging isn't important, or that failure to be accurate wouldn't contribute to the issue, but i can't help but wonder - if whatever means they're using to log their intake up to that point hasn't affected their ability to shed pounds, why would it become a speedbump later on in the process?

is that because there's a degree of wiggle room early in the process that doesn't exist after you've lost the initial water weight/first excess pounds? it seems somewhat logical that the earlier pounds will be easier to shed than the last few pounds before your goal, but i'm curious - should the process come under more scrutiny as you shed more weight and get closer to your goal? do things that worked early on either stop working or become less effective later on in the journey?

I started at the end of May at 279 pounds and and down to 241-243 or so right now...i've hit something of a wall myself within the past week or so, and I've been wondering if it's because I dropped 35 pounds of low hanging fruit and I'm going to have to up my game now. :)

Kind of its easier to lose at the beginning. Plateaus tend to be when you hit maintenance, but you believe you are eating at a deficit. Borally people are eating more than they think, hence scales being the most accurate method will help ensure they are eating what they intend to eat. If they establish a deficit again then they will start to lose over time.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Usually a true plateau is inaccuracy in accounting for food intake/calories. It's easy to make mistakes either with estimates or forgetting some food intake, supplements, etc. OR the fact that fat loss is not linear if you are truly eating at a deficit and you need to wait a bit longer.

It's either NOT a deficit over time

OR

You need more time and consistency and patience

There is no other answer.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I started out pretty sloppy with the logging and measuring. And had an average of 2 pound per week loss. As I became more educated by studying the MFP forums and stickies, I have used a digital scale to measure my food in grams consistently, logging in MFP and a fit bit to measure my calories out including cardio workouts but not strength training. I have kept both of these stats in a spread sheet for 4 weeks. For me (CI-CO=weight loss) predicted my weekly loss 90% accurately. I went to maintenance for 5 of 7 days last week so I only had a half a pound loss, but prior to that I was averaging the recommended, 1% of body weight, loss per week. I am down 41.8 pounds in 20.6 weeks.