Can you raise your heart rate TOO MUCH?

Options
Unfortunately I have a hard enough time scraping together enough money every week to buy nutritious food so buying a heart rate monitor is kind of impossible at this point. So I can't really give a number =(

However my exercise is intense at times and I keep going but my heart starts going extremely fast and I feel dizzy/faint... Is it possible to raise your heart rate TOO MUCH? Ive been exercising for about half a year now but Im still over 200 pounds if that matters any.

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yes, your heart rate can elevate too high. If you feel like your heart is pounding too fast, and you feel faint, you may be pushing too hard. I would suggest you back down a bit when that happens. Over time you should be able to learn to pace yourself better so you don't overdo it.

But honestly, I highly recommend 2 things - a heart rate monitor (you can get an inexpensive one to start with) and a conversation with your doctor about how you feel when you do intense exercise.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i'm interested in this as well. I do have a HRM and when I am working out (Turbo Fire) it never stays in the range. Usually around 170 - 185 and it should be no higher than 156 according to my HRM. There was a day this week that I couldn't finish my workout because I couldn't get my HR in check.....doesn't help when I have my kids asking me for drinks, snacks, can I play this...etc...during an intense workout. But, interesting question.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    yes you can.. remember your heart is a muscle, would you push any other muscle till it gave out?
  • janine0187
    janine0187 Posts: 15
    Options
    I started off with gym this weekend and my heart rate started off with 163-166.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yes you can - here's a great article explaining the Target Heart Rate Zones (there's 4 of them):

http://www.suite101.com/content/heart-rate-training-zones-a140065

Here's the article in full:

"There are four different heart rate training zones but what do they mean and which one should be chosen?

The four heart rate training zones consist of the moderate aerobic zone, the weight management zone, the aerobic fitness zone and the peak aerobic performance zone.

Although all cardiovascular training is good for fitness, regularly training within certain zones will have very different effects on the body. Therefore it is essential to understand the differences and work within the correct zone to achieve the required results.

How to Measure the Heart Rate During Exercise

The heart rate can be monitored very easily during exercise. The traditional method is to check the pulse. The exerciser should take his pulse from either his neck or wrist and measure for 10 seconds. This can then be multiplied by six to achieve the number of beats per minute.

Most cardiovascular machines in gyms have heart rate monitors attached which will measure the exercisers heart rate and display it on a monitor. Alternatively individuals can choose to wear their own heart rate monitor which consists of a strap around the chest to pick up the heart rate and a wrist watch to display the number of beats per minute. A decent heart rate monitor is the most accurate method of measuring the heart rate.

The Moderate Aerobic Zone

The moderate aerobic zone requires the exerciser to work out at between 50 and 60 percent of their maximum heart rate. At this level the exerciser should be able to continue for a time quite comfortably. The moderate aerobic zone is best suited to individuals with a low level of fitness, those who have been living an inactive lifestyle or individuals who are recovering from a medical implication which has left them unable to exercise for a time.

Working out for 20 minutes at a time within the moderate aerobic zone is the first step towards improved fitness for many people.

The Weight Management Zone

The weight management zone is often referred to as the ‘fat burning’ zone as it utilises the body’s stores of fat to fuel the workout. To work out within this zone the heart rate must remain between 60 and 70 percent of the maximum heart rate.

At this level the exerciser should be able to work out comfortably for a time of 20 minutes up to an hour.

The Aerobic Fitness Zone

The aerobic fitness zone or ‘aerobic training zone’ as it is also known, requires the exerciser to work between 70-80 percent of the maximum heart rate. Training regularly within this zone will improve cardiovascular fitness and endurance. It will help an individual to expand their endurance base to perform more intense aerobic exercise.

The Peak Performance Zone

The peak performance zone requires the exerciser to work at 80-90 percent of their maximum heart rate. This zone is the highest level of aerobic training and is only suitable to athletes or those who have trained over a long period. Athletes and serious sports competitors work out within the peak performance zone to increase their speed and stamina.

The Heart Rate Training Zones

•50-60% Moderate Aerobic Zone
    •60-70% Weight Management Zone
    •70-80% Aerobic Fitness Zone
    •80-90% Peak Aerobic Performance Zone
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Learn how to take your heart rate by hand, if you don't know how, (it's easy!), and test it when you are feeling faint. It could be a myriad of reasons, from improper breathing to high blood pressure to not enough fuel..and other reasons, as well. I'd start by checking your h.r during your workouts and go from there.
    And definitely take it easy if you're feeling faint. It's your body's way of telling you to 'SLOW DOWN'!
    Good luck and take care of yourself!
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Grr. Double post.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    most definitely! be careful! i pass out when my HR gets too high, because my blood pressure drops.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Interesting article but it would have been more useful if it explained how to find your maximum heart rate so you can figure out the percentages.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have a hard enough time scraping together enough money every week to buy nutritious food so buying a heart rate monitor is kind of impossible at this point. So I can't really give a number =(

However my exercise is intense at times and I keep going but my heart starts going extremely fast and I feel dizzy/faint... Is it possible to raise your heart rate TOO MUCH? Ive been exercising for about half a year now but Im still over 200 pounds if that matters any.

Thanks for your input!

In the absence of symptoms or heart disease, normally you cannot injure a healthy heart just by having an elevated heart rate with exercise. At that level, you will fatigue long before you can sustain an effort that could hypothetically "injure" your heart.

However, in this case you are reporting symptoms, which is something else entirely. There are instances where one can experience a heart rate irregularity which is associated with symptoms such as light-headedness and shortness of breath. In this type of situation, it is not a "normal" heart rate increase. I cannot comment on your specific case for obvious reasons.

It's common sense that if you experience this more frequently with higher intensity exercise that you keep your intensity level below that threshold. If you experience these symptoms, it is important to note the exact circumstances under which they occur--as well as possible. You can see a physician about this but, because this is an intermittent problem, the physician might have some difficulty running any diagnostics. It really depends on your relationship with your doctor and how well he or she knows your medical history and knows about exercise.

My general recommendation: exercise some caution, gather as much information as you can about the conditions under which this occurs, and see a physician if it persists.