Lose weight without dieting!

Options
Alatariel75
Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
This is the feature article in our national paper right now. Talk about over-simplified to the point of uselessness.

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/six-strategies-for-losing-weight-without-dieting-20150720-gigt9y.html

Replies

• bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I mean, it's just a basic list of solid ideas. They probably had nothing interesting to write about and had a deadline to meet. I don't see much of an issue.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Snort!

If I pack my own lunch, should I put that many cookies in it?

cackle
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    That's quite a lot of derp.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Snort!

If I pack my own lunch, should I put that many cookies in it?

cackle

YES.

derp derp derp
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    "Imagine if you could lose weight without calorie counting, label reading or spending hours at the gym?"

"A simple yet effective strategy to manage this information overload is to peruse menus when you are not hungry, before dining out. You can make a nutritionally strong decision before you go out and be less likely to be drawn into the excitement of the ordering process."

But ya'know, you don't have to label read or calorie count. Just read and consider nutritionally strong elements.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Did you know that the average lunch order from a food court contains 600 to 800 calories, or double what lunch for a small woman should contain.

Um.... what? 600 calories is double what lunch for a small woman should contain? for serious? My lunch should be only 300 calories? Jeezum, I only weigh 125 lbs, but if my lunches were regularly only 300 calories, I'd friggin starve to death.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Be ruthless and refuse to keep any calorific food you know you will eventually eat when you are tired, bored or vulnerable.

But no calorie counting or label reading!

Yes. Because you will know exactly which high calorie foods to get rid of if you don't read the labels or track your calories.

So much nope.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Did you know that the average lunch order from a food court contains 600 to 800 calories, or double what lunch for a small woman should contain.

Um.... what? 600 calories is double what lunch for a small woman should contain? for serious? My lunch should be only 300 calories? Jeezum, I only weigh 125 lbs, but if my lunches were regularly only 300 calories, I'd friggin starve to death.

Eh, when I'm in a deficit my lunches are around there. Definitely not maintenance though.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

I'd be homicidal. Lunch is my biggest meal of the day!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

But..but..we're delicate flowers. We should be waifs that fall over at the slightest breeze!
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Even if you pack your own salad or leftovers a couple of times each week, you will be saving many calories on a weekly basis without really noticing it.

Clearly this "author" has never seen me make a salad at home!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

But..but..we're delicate flowers. We should be waifs that fall over at the slightest breeze!

stock-photo-17718382-fainted-woman.jpg

giphy.gif

Snort!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    Even if you pack your own salad or leftovers a couple of times each week, you will be saving many calories on a weekly basis without really noticing it.

Clearly this "author" has never seen me make a salad at home!

I know right...last time I made a salad it was almost 800 calories...full of protein mind you and nom nom but almost 800 calories..

my turkey taco salad...Yah that too....I think that last time I ate that it was just over 700.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I mean, it's just a basic list of solid ideas. They probably had nothing interesting to write about and had a deadline to meet. I don't see much of an issue.

Neither do I really considering most people eat ad libitum.

They're strategies not rules.