I went back to binging....*long story/ need help

Options
I spent 3 months of very controlled eating and the pressures of hanging with friends and a boy-friend, I went back to my own ways. I'm an emotional eater but have managed to not cheat for several months.

Suddenly I had the urge for sweets and a couple min after a breakup, I cried while eating a doughnut and the now-ex tells me It might make me feel better bc he knows I'm An emotional eater but since last night, I've been eating badly or I should say this has been going on for 2 weeks-eating out and trying out lots of little things here and there. I woke up with very bad heartburn last night and felt like crap all day. And didn't get to eat anything until around 11, and pizza was delivered to my bf's house. I had to go to the store but I didn't want to leave bc I'm his ride home and he never sees his brothers. So I didn't get home till 1 in the afternoon so that sort of strayed my downward spiral.

Now it's 8 and my mom is gonna make my favorite zucchini bread and that will be the end to this horrible day. To top it off since I broke up with my bf, I'm not going to Utah or Cali. That makes me sad bc losing weight and getting a golden tan were on my to do list. I just need to get back on track, I drank a lot of water so that might help. How do you deal with binge eating?

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I got professional help.
  • chandelierbee
    chandelierbee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    I got professional help.

Can you really get help? I was good for months but I just i ally cracked bc I'm always scrutinized for eating healthy by family and friends and now I've gained 7 pounds in a day it seems. I dot want to go back
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    I got professional help.

Can you really get help? I was good for months but I just i ally cracked bc I'm always scrutinized for eating healthy by family and friends and now I've gained 7 pounds in a day it seems. I dot want to go back

Of course you can get help. You seem young- if you're in school there is a councilor. If you're in college there is probably some type of counseling available to students for free.

You did not gain 7 pounds in one day. Take a breath and move on from it. And go talk to someone.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    As a comparison... I will go up or down 10lbs in a day. In fact, I may even start at 165, be at 174 midday, then be at 164 at night. Weight is crazy; just go by the averages through the weeks. Water-weight is some crazy stuff.
  • pineapple_pizza
    pineapple_pizza Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I second that you should try talking to someone. I think it would help.

That being said, 2 weeks is not very long. You've already made progress from where you were originally and you should be proud of that. Breakups suck. Allow yourself to feel emotions, but remember that overeating only results in negative feelings for you. Best way to deal with a binge is to accept it, move on, and start over the next day by sticking to your calorie goal. Exercise will help too and with your mood most likely.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I view my diet as a lifelong commitment. That will include holidays, celebrations, birthdays, happy times and sad times.

If at those occasions, I eat more than I should, that's okay. You shouldn't eat your feelings but sometimes nothing but triple chocolate fudge swirl ice cream will help. The thing is to not let one bad day, or week put a stop to your efforts.

Try a diet that isn't super restricted. If you eat less than you burn you will lose weight. By including some "treats" you won't feel like cheating your diet because it won't be cheating!

And to put things into perspective, I went on holidays and ate and drank like crap for nearly two weeks. I got on the scales and thought I gained 5kg. A couple days later when my body had time to lose the salt and water that it was holding onto. (As well as physically move on the food I had eaten) and it was only about 1.5-2kgs. Don't give up because the scale seems mean!

Breakups are hard, but if you are having serious issues, why not talk to someone? Sometimes letting your feelings off your chest will help.
  • sandraeh68
    sandraeh68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband has been seeing a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist for the past 6 months and a biokineticist for 2.5 months and has lost 34 kgs. We can now go to braais/barbeques and the "junk food' doesn't temp him. His treat is dried mangos and biltong - 30 gram each.