Can losing weight help with certain health issues?

Options
I have severe acid re flux, which I know is often a weight-related health issue, however, even at my heaviest I was well within a healthy weight range (I'm losing weight because I saw myself trending higher and because I want to be **** fine). Even though I've always been a healthy weight is there any change that losing weight will help?

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nobody can predict how you will feel, or how healthy or how you will look.

Has also a lot to do with genetics. So maybe weight loss will help, maybe not.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Nobody can predict how you will feel, or how healthy or how you will look.

Has also a lot to do with genetics. So maybe weight loss will help, maybe not.

Yep, it depends on the underlying cause of your reflux.

It certainly won't hurt to lose weight, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't take care of the reflux 100%.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    And i also think a visit to a doctor would be a good idea when the problem is severe
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Totally depends what causes it. My chronic reflux is due to my gall bladder, so eating lower fat keeps it under control. However, what will help yours is totally dependent on whether you have GERD, a hiatus hernia, an ulcer, an overabundance of acid etc etc etc the list goes on.

TL:DR see a doctor to establish cause.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've seen improvements with acid reflux, blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Everyone is different, though.
  • KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    I've seen improvements with acid reflux, blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Everyone is different, though.

This is totally true!

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Totally depends what causes it. My chronic reflux is due to my gall bladder, so eating lower fat keeps it under control. However, what will help yours is totally dependent on whether you have GERD, a hiatus hernia, an ulcer, an overabundance of acid etc etc etc the list goes on.

+1 No amount of weight loss will get rid of my GERD because it's a symptom of another issue. Dietary restrictions and medication help me keep it in check, but it will never go away. Check with your doctor.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

+1 No amount of weight loss will get rid of my GERD because it's a symptom of another issue. Dietary restrictions and medication help me keep it in check, but it will never go away. Check with your doctor.

This is true for my husband as well.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that acid reflux is actually weight related, but I did see mine go away when I started losing weight. My theory is that I quit filling my stomach too full, so the acid has an easier time of staying in the right place. If a person is at a normal weight and still has acid reflux, that is probably caused by something else.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I had GERD and was on prescription meds to deal with it, but once I lost the weight I no longer had issues. Now if I have a lot greasey foods I will have little bit of heart burn, tums takes that away and that probably only happens few times since weight loss.