Blatantly incorrect nutrition label?

Options
So today my sister bought some "turkey bacon" at Costco. It is labelled as "Turkey Made with Natural Ingredients: Lite Life Naturally - Bacon Style Turkey".

At first glance the macros were incredible, but then they didn't add up. I understand companies can round down, but this one supposedly has 2 F and 5 P per slice (should be 38), and it lists the calories at 25 per slice. I understand with carbs some sugar alcohols and dietary fiber substitutes can be less than the usual 4cal per gram, but this doesn't exist with protein/fat to my knowledge?

I can't find a website for the site/brand, or any pictures or anything. There are several MPF entries for it with the same macros listed on the box, http://i.imgur.com/zSTFeLj.png , but am I right in assuming there must have been some printing error, as opposed to a company misleading people with their "healthy" alternative. The only other thing I could think of is if they round up 1.6g of fat to 2, but even then it would be 34~ and they would round up to 35.

Most turkey bacon I see is around 3f 3p per slice, and I've been looking for low fat alternatives so I was puzzled with this one. For the record, I didn't misread or miss a serving size number. Also, I'm Canadian.

Replies

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I thought that Litelife was vegan based? Maybe it's just a similar name?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A similar product has https://lightlife.com/products/smart-deli-turkey
    One slice
    Protein 3.5 / Fat 9 /

Go with what is on the package for now until you find another brand that makes you more comfortable. :)
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Companies are allowed to be incorrect by +/-20%. So if they calculated there to be 100 calories (actual) they can then list the product as having 80 calories (-20%). Sadly, calorie counting can be very misleading in actuality.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've found ground chicken that claims 120 calories for 10g fat and 15g carb (yes, it's pretty horrible chicken). That's a 25% error bar, per 100g.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    lschuttem wrote: »
    Companies are allowed to be incorrect by +/-20%. So if they calculated there to be 100 calories (actual) they can then list the product as having 80 calories (-20%). Sadly, calorie counting can be very misleading in actuality.

For items packaged for sale in the United States, companies are not allowed to be incorrect by +/-20% as you contend. Manufacturers are required to comply with the US FDA guidelines for rounding on Nutrition Facts labels, which can be found online at the below link. For Calories, the largest discrepancy permitted by the rounding guidelines would be rounding 54.99 Calories to 50 Calories, which would be just under 10%. As the Calories per serving size increases, the rounding error decreases.

fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064932.htm
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    So today my sister bought some "turkey bacon" at Costco. It is labelled as "Turkey Made with Natural Ingredients: Lite Life Naturally - Bacon Style Turkey".

At first glance the macros were incredible, but then they didn't add up. I understand companies can round down, but this one supposedly has 2 F and 5 P per slice (should be 38), and it lists the calories at 25 per slice. I understand with carbs some sugar alcohols and dietary fiber substitutes can be less than the usual 4cal per gram, but this doesn't exist with protein/fat to my knowledge?

I can't find a website for the site/brand, or any pictures or anything. There are several MPF entries for it with the same macros listed on the box, http://i.imgur.com/zSTFeLj.png , but am I right in assuming there must have been some printing error, as opposed to a company misleading people with their "healthy" alternative. The only other thing I could think of is if they round up 1.6g of fat to 2, but even then it would be 34~ and they would round up to 35.

Most turkey bacon I see is around 3f 3p per slice, and I've been looking for low fat alternatives so I was puzzled with this one. For the record, I didn't misread or miss a serving size number. Also, I'm Canadian.

Well that's your problem then. There are approximately 0.77 Canadian calories in a US calorie (It changes day by day). Costco is an American company. As you note, using 1.6g of fat comes out to 34 calories, but that's Canadian calories. 34 * 0.77 = 26.18 which gets rounded down to 25. And there you go.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    My thought was that maybe they have whey protein fillers that give you less calories but increase the protein? Maybe? Check the ingredients. Also, there are such things as truncation errors which are compounded by the company being able to round down. Those errors just snowball.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Well that's your problem then. There are approximately 0.77 Canadian calories in a US calorie (It changes day by day). Costco is an American company. As you note, using 1.6g of fat comes out to 34 calories, but that's Canadian calories. 34 * 0.77 = 26.18 which gets rounded down to 25. And there you go.

I cannot believe you typed that and nobody challenged it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    peter56765 wrote: »

I cannot believe you typed that and nobody challenged it!

I cannot believe you challenged it nearly a year later.