Tips to increase calorie intake?

Options
Hey guys, been trying to gain weight for a while, and currently I'm just got over a sickness where I lost a bit of weight by not eating enough. And now it seems like my appetite has shrunk a bit, and I can't eat as much as I used to. Anyone have tips to increase calorie intake when you're not feeling hungry?

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Add healthy oils and fats...small volume, very cal dense....nuts, Avocados, olive oil, etc. You can add some olive oil to your veggies for example. You won't notice it much, but it will add 100-200 cals quickly.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Full-fat dairy, fattier cuts of meat, oils and butter, nuts and nut butter, ice cream, chocolate, sweets in general.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I've been there, it sucks. Also the always feeling full.
    My list of tips:
    1) eat nutrient dense food (see sticky in nutrition section)
    2) drink your calories (proteine shake, milk, soda, doesn't matter)
    3) full fat everything. (So full fat milk, real butter, full yoghurt. Fills about the same for extra calories)
    4) eat at regular times, your body will now come to expect it, creating the hunger feeling. Increasing portion size is easier when hungry.
    5) take it real slow. Your body will gently adjust with you.

Also, here on the forum one of the most repeated things is eating spoons of peanut butter. Very calorie rich.

I lost about 18 lbs in 6 months and became underweight, it took me about two years to gain it all back. It is a slow process, but you must slowly teach your body to adjust to large portion sizes.

Also, there is nothing wrong with eating "unhealthy" foods like chips, ice cream, etc to reach those calories.

But imo 1&2 are most important.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    calorie dense foods = bagels, pasta, ice cream, cookies, avocado, full fat yogurt and cottage cheese, fatty cuts of meat, rice, etc.

yes, you should be meeting micronutrient needs and eating nutrient dense foods but there is nothing wrong with filling out day with calorie dense foods.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Definitely Nuts.
    A few handfuls are 100's of calories!
  • wam_bam
    wam_bam Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    May want to try Echinacea - Main benefits include promoting a healthy appetite and potentially keeping your immune system in-check. I took it when I was looking to pack on weight on a slightly faster scale and keep myself from getting sick after grueling weeks of working out.
  • KHS86
    KHS86 Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    Add healthy oils and fats...small volume, very cal dense....nuts, Avocados, olive oil, etc. You can add some olive oil to your veggies for example. You won't notice it much, but it will add 100-200 cals quickly.
    This

peanut butter
    And definitely this! mmmm peanut butter.

Also if you really need some calories, you could eat some brown rice, they are delicious and full of carbs, I would eat them all day if I could. But I don't know, if your appetite is low there is probably better options.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
    This. I think I ate 2000 calories of this today and it was easy to do.