Options

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Interestingly, population studies have shown marijuana users tend to have lower weight than non-users.

Any theories why?
    To date, only conjecture, no real tested hypotheses that explain the phenomena. Short term appetite increases (the munchies) are clinically true which is why it seems paradoxical, yet it remains - marijuana users tend to weight less.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4204468/

That is interesting. Also, I always thought "the munchies" was psychological.
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ah ha! Weed isn't the gateway to heroin, it's the gateway to the REFRIGERATOR!

Have you considered ingesting it, in the form of pot brownies, cookies etc? Last time I had 1/3 of a cookie it lasted for hours and I didn't get the munches at all. =D
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, population studies have shown marijuana users tend to have lower weight than non-users.

Any theories why?
    To date, only conjecture, no real tested hypotheses that explain the phenomena. Short term appetite increases (the munchies) are clinically true which is why it seems paradoxical, yet it remains - marijuana users tend to weight less.

It tends to be a very real effect - it is one of the legitimate reasons for medical marijuana (the other being pain relief). One of the people acting as witness for the CA medical marijuana law was a woman with brain cancer who could only stand to eat while using THC.
  • lpadancer
    lpadancer Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've found that having a plan for the day helps immensely! It's the days that I don't think ahead before picking up snacks that I cave and grab something that blows my calories out of the water in one shot (a pint of Ben and Jerry's, splitting a whole pizza with my boyfriend, etc.). An awesome ice cream alternative that I've found btw are these packs of Yasso frozen Greek yogurt bars. Super tasty, 100 calories, and convenient to have on hand.

My boyfriend is also on MFP losing weight but sometimes (especially on the weekends) will go ahead and eat/snack quite a bit on calorie dense foods. Recently I've gotten into buying variations on beef jerky on these days. It takes a while to eat (he usually goes through 2-3 snacks in that time) and I can eat a whole pack for maybe 320 calories. So I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Because these days tend to be weekend days and I sleep in a few hours later than normal, I'm not as tied to mealtimes or number of meals which helps as well.

When smoking on weekdays, I generally keep my intake the same as other weekdays. That always feels like a good exercise in restraint--not too difficult and I can practice having non-food focused fun :).

It's funny--I feel like being able to navigate weight loss while also smoking marijuana helps me to see that this is a lifestyle change that I'm actually enjoying. And that I don't feel deprived.

Hope that helps! I'm also looking forward to reading this thread.

Edited: fixed a few typos
  • roselemonade
    roselemonade Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Also: pickles, Pop Chips, bowl of nonfat no sugar whipped cream, a big bowl of air-popped popcorn with salt, a cut up banana or apple with cinnamon, some Laughing Cow (or equivalent) reduced cal cheese on crackers (or spread straight on slices of ham and rolled up around pickle wedges, my favorite,) bowl of peanut butter mousse made with PB2 (or similar peanut flour,) giant bowl of no-sugar Jell-o, decent size bowl of sugar/fat-free Jell-o pudding, rice cakes.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    for the laugh fest.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Gross. Quit smoking drugs would be the obvious answer.
  • ghosthost6
    ghosthost6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Any theories why?

It tends to be a very real effect - it is one of the legitimate reasons for medical marijuana (the other being pain relief). One of the people acting as witness for the CA medical marijuana law was a woman with brain cancer who could only stand to eat while using THC.

I am licensed and use it for back pain. A side effect is getting hungry. I diet but when I use medical marijuana, I immediately start to crave food which creates stress on my eating since I don't always have fruit or veggies. I understand this is also psychological. So, I'd like to know tips, both mental and physical. Are there any supplemental vitamins or teas that can fight THC cravings?
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ghosthost6 wrote: »
    I live in California where smoking pot is legal. Problem is...MUNCHIES!! Does anyone have tips on how to overcome munchies when dieting and actively smoking marijuana?
    I live in California and don't think marijuana is legal. Not yet, anyway. Unless you have a prescription.

• KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Just because it's legal doesn't make it good for you! I realize there aren't as many bad effects as most other drugs, but the fact stands that it IS a drug. Like someone else said, it's like getting drunk. Doing anything to yourself that causes you to lose willpower is probably not good in any respect.
    The way I see it: smoking is a want, being a healthy weight is a need... ultimately you have to choose what's actually important to you. Unless you have a medical issue that requires you to need pot I really don't see why you would chose to use something that impairs your faculty or judgments.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Change your strain. Certain strains will give you the munchies, just like certain strains will make you tired. It's the difference between Indica and Sativa. Talk to your pharma (I'm assuming you're a pharmie) and have them suggest a different breed that doesn't have the undesired effects.

*ahem* Not that I'd know anything about pot.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Any theories why?

Since it's population studies and not controlled experiments, it could be a correlation (rather than causation.) Depending on what they control for in the analysis, it could be that pot users are more likely to be young, active, outdoorsy, affluent, etc. any and all of which would make them weigh less, on average, than the average of the broader population.

This would be my guess. Colorado has relatively low obesity rates yet marijuana use is legal.
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Try to work out why you want to get high. I mean the real reasons you want to be detached. Then, try to work out what it is you are trying to fill in your life with the food you crave. For this step, I recommend you get a counsellor to talk to about your past or your disappointments in life etc. , the things that bubble to the surface when you are high that make you try to fill the void with food. Don't speak to the counsellor when you are high either.

Maybe you are getting high for the wrong reasons, maybe you just need a satisfying hobby that keeps you busy enough not to want to eat and smoke lots.

If this all checks out and you genuinely just want to be detached or your medical situation leaves you with this 'side effect', then as suggested, prepare your snacks and food for the day before you disconnect from the matrix and stick to those prepared foods.

Some people have little self control in this state and those that do find their sense of self control does not carry through to the real world, either way, keep a check on everything, pizza delivery and pot make for a slippery slope.

Good luck.
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    Just because it's legal doesn't make it good for you! I realize there aren't as many bad effects as most other drugs, but the fact stands that it IS a drug. Like someone else said, it's like getting drunk. Doing anything to yourself that causes you to lose willpower is probably not good in any respect.
    The way I see it: smoking is a want, being a healthy weight is a need... ultimately you have to choose what's actually important to you. Unless you have a medical issue that requires you to need pot I really don't see why you would chose to use something that impairs your faculty or judgments.

ok, I see you've edited to specify medical use... in that case, I would talk to your doctor about it. I'm sure s/he wants you to be a healthy weight as well as using the prescription for its intended use.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    That's like a post saying you get drunk then eat 2 pizzas and make a fort out of the boxes.

The food isn't the issue its the loss of control from self inflicted drug use.

Or maybe plan a head and have healthy snacks layed out on a plate.

I recommend carrot and celery sticks, soak then in water and different food colouring so when your high you think your eating music or colours. Job done.

Ahhhh.........

Priceless.

This is the best I got:

146f86071a78d37a33f3f8081275cfe3.jpg

But, don't forget to eat this first.

348s.jpg

• TripZeros
    TripZeros Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Change your strain. Certain strains will give you the munchies, just like certain strains will make you tired. It's the difference between Indica and Sativa. Talk to your pharma (I'm assuming you're a pharmie) and have them suggest a different breed that doesn't have the undesired effects.

*ahem* Not that I'd know anything about pot.

^ This, and exactly this.
    Blue Dream is a great strain to try. It's a sativa-dominant strain, and is even great for before working out (no couch lock).
    Where I live (Oregon) recreational is now legal. However, my family grows medical marijuana for dispensaries. Try out some different strains (I suggest sativa-dominant).

• zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke maybe 3 times a week in college and was in absolutely phenomenal shape then. Then again, when you're 21 and have no job, it's a bit easier.

I'd be worried as to the effect of testosterone production more than appetite.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Most people that smoke mariquana have problems putting on weight? Try snacking on healthy food if you get the munchies!! Most strains of mariquana can cause your appetite to be suppressed?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Try fruits, yogurts are pretty good too.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Wait, the OP stated he is smoking it medicinally; which, unless they are 'self-medicating' (naughty, naughty), means that they are being advised by a medical professional and this is being prescribed as a treatment. All you people telling OP to 'just quit taking drugs' need to think about that....would you tell someone to stop taking any other prescribed medication just because you don't agree with it personally?

When it comes to the munchies, not much I can recommend....air popped popcorn??