Anyone else lose more hair while dieting?

Options
ajc1309
ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 25, 5'3", 134lbs down from 138lbs and a few years before that I was 182lbs. I'm eating roughly 1200 cals a day with the exception of a cheat day and then exercising on a stationary bike for 30-40 mins 5-6 days a week and burning 200-250 cals.

I've noticed since dieting I keep finding strands of my hair everywhere. It's not really a worrying amount but it's noticeable. Can I stop this somehow? I already have really thin hair and don't want to lose more.

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You're 25 and female? See a doctor. Good luck.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm losing a heap of hair at the moment, enough that I'm going to go get my bloods done. I think, going on previous results and the fact that it's winter and I haven't seen the sun in weeks, that I'm wildly vitamin D deficient again, and that causes hair loss apparently (and certainly in my experience). Long story short, it's worth getting it checked out.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If your diary is an accurate reflection of your food intake, some days you are eating well below 1000 cals, and all the days I looked at you are falling short of your fat goal.

It may be worth getting some blood work done, but in the meantime, ensure you get a minimum of 1200 calories, and try to hit your fat goal.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Nope, but are you eating a healthy balanced diet? Go see the Dr if its bad you may have some sort of infection or condition.
  • titotito48
    titotito48 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me as well. I went on Wikipedia and for me knowing my choice of foods or lack of while dieting, I wasn't getting enough fat. I added a tblsp of pb each morning for 100 calories. I fit it in my calorie count and my hair grew back thicker and so far haven't had any more problems.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When I began to change my diet and cut calories, I lost hair. It wasn't enough that I was balding, but enough to make me notice a lot coming out say... in the shower. And my hair is pretty thin to begin with. It's slowed as my weight loss has slowed. I'm told that eating more protein can help. If it's a lot though, see a Dr as there could be other deficiencies.
  • karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything to worry about. Drink a lot of water and drink a lot of raw veggie smoothies. They're low in calorie and super healthy. I dieted just like you for 6 months straight and just like you, I lost hair everyday and I have very fine hair. I did blood test twice and nothing, I don't even have anemia. My nails are also chipping so I was confused. My doctor told me to try a calcium supplement, I tried for a month and nothing changed. Just last week I was doing a research and I found out about Biotin supplement. I started taking, it's good for hair and nails.

If you have a chance to do a blood test, do it anyway and try eating healthy stuff, you can do it with a low calorie diet. With 1200 calorie diet, I haven't been healthier. You should meet all your daily goals to stay healthy.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    If your diary is an accurate reflection of your food intake, some days you are eating well below 1000 cals, and all the days I looked at you are falling short of your fat goal.

It may be worth getting some blood work done, but in the meantime, ensure you get a minimum of 1200 calories, and try to hit your fat goal.

This. Hair loss is often hormone related, and hormones rely on a sufficient amount of fat intake, especially important for women. You're not fueling your regular days, let alone added workouts. Give this a read and rethink your calorie goal.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants